Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,123 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am graduating from Lehigh University and just got a job with Lockheed Martin. I will be working in Manassas for one year for my first assignment. I am from New Jersey and do not know much about the area. I want to find a place to live somewhere between Manassas and DC.

I am looking for a location with a managable drive to Manassas (20-30 mins max) and a 25-30 min ride to DC by train. I am looking for a place that is not too much of a hassle commuting to work, but still close enough to DC where I can hop on a train and be there in a half an hour. Also preferably an area with young people and things to do (not a priority).

Just from looking at a map, Fairfax looks like a good location. I also hear it is a pretty nice area. However from everything I have heard and read, the traffic is very bad. I don't want to be sitting in traffic for an hour everyday to work. Would the traffic be any less going away from DC towards Manassas as opposed to going into the city?

Also if I were to take a train into Manassas, do they have buses or cabs that can take you around? If I could take a train to work I would prefer it, but my office is not within walking distance of the station.

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
If you work in Manassas, why do you care how far it is to DC? I would be looking to rent in Manassas if you are only going to be here a year. Save your money and stay away from DC.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Fairfax may be the best self-compromise you can make although Reston - especially closer to its Town Center - might be better for younger people though its further north. If you live closer to downtown Fairfax and/or George Mason University, you should be alright.

You definitely would be going against traffic from Fairfax to Manassas. A map website predicts about a half hour but I'd probably tack on at least another 10-15 minutes.

Taking the Virginia Railway Express to Manassas would require you to drive down to Burke. By the time you do that, you may as well have driven all the way. Nonetheless, here's the site for mass transit in Prince William County where you can find out if a bus subsequently goes out to Lockheed:
PRTC - The Ride That's Right For You .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz22 View Post
Hi, I am graduating from Lehigh University and just got a job with Lockheed Martin. I will be working in Manassas for one year for my first assignment. I am from New Jersey and do not know much about the area. I want to find a place to live somewhere between Manassas and DC.

I am looking for a location with a managable drive to Manassas (20-30 mins max) and a 25-30 min ride to DC by train. I am looking for a place that is not too much of a hassle commuting to work, but still close enough to DC where I can hop on a train and be there in a half an hour. Also preferably an area with young people and things to do (not a priority).

Just from looking at a map, Fairfax looks like a good location. I also hear it is a pretty nice area. However from everything I have heard and read, the traffic is very bad. I don't want to be sitting in traffic for an hour everyday to work. Would the traffic be any less going away from DC towards Manassas as opposed to going into the city?

Also if I were to take a train into Manassas, do they have buses or cabs that can take you around? If I could take a train to work I would prefer it, but my office is not within walking distance of the station.

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks so much!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you work in Manassas, why do you care how far it is to DC? I would be looking to rent in Manassas if you are only going to be here a year. Save your money and stay away from DC.
Well I wanted to be somewhat close to DC so I could get there to go out to restaurants/bars/clubs, although I realize that work is a priority. It would just be nice to be near DC for the entertainment while I'm young.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,600 times
28 is hell, and don't even think about 66. You won't be missing much in Manassas. Given, it's not the most fashionable place, but you could have a situation, where you are walking to work. Check out 20110, that is the zip for Manassas City.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Well I wanted to be somewhat close to DC so I could get there to go out to restaurants/bars/clubs, although I realize that work is a priority. It would just be nice to be near DC for the entertainment while I'm young.
Ok. That makes sense. I used to rent a house in Vienna with some friends and used to go "downtown" to go to the bars/clubs. There are better and nicer places to spend your money in Virginia without going through the hassle of going to DC.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Quote:
Due to the traffic/ lack of train options, you'll probably need to keep Georgetown and Adams Morgan hopping for weekend duty only

Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,159 times
I would think Vienna, near the Metro, would be an ideal option. Its right on 66 too, so the commute from there to Manassas (which would be a reverse commute) wouldn't be bad at all. And Vienna is on the Orange line, so you have the whole Balston - Rosslyn night life scene, PLUS DC, as options, without having to even change trains. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,600 times
Vienna would be 45 minutes with no traffic. After about the second time your car was broken into in DC, you would probably reconsider. There are an army of cops making a living off of you guys on I66 every Friday and Saturday. City Tavern | Manassas, VA This place isn't bad, and has been known to attract some LMT employees. Free roast beef on Thursdays for Happy Hour.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,715 times
My tip would be to live in Old Town Manassas, and then you can catch the VRE to DC anytime you want as there's a stop right in the heart of Old Town. Virginia Railway Express Home Page. In the meantime, Old Town Manassas has several good bars, including the Philly Tavern. Philadelphia Tavern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia