Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,273 times

Advertisements

If land around is vacant, you have no control over what is built. And that seems to be the big gripe of the blog about Toll brothers. If they own the land, they can sell it to someone who build whatever they choose to build. Or Toll Brothers can build whatever is profitable for them. Unless the land is already in use, with strong zoning laws, you really have no control over land that you do not own.

Toll Brothers has a good reputation, although I have heard predictions that will go under this year. If they go under this year, that could effect you if you are in the middle of house construction and they can't pay the builders.

Now homebuilders want government help - Top Stocks Blog - MSN Money

A thread here on Toll Brothers:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...contract.htmlA

More discussions on Toll Brothers:
Groups Discussing toll brothers | Yahoo! Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/phrase/toll-brothers - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

112 posts, read 854,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
TOLL Brothers will not negotiate the BASE PRICE of their homes. They want to protect the current homeowners. They WILL give you credits and discounts on the options.
While I believe they want to do this, I doubt they can remain in business by doing so. They start by reducing the standard options and possibly layout while keeping base price. For example, reduce the cabinet wood from maple to oak or make granite counter tops an option to cut cost. They can also only make the main floor 9' and the rest 8'. There's lot of things they can downgrade to save $25/50/75K. A once all brick front community, they will allow for siding just to lower the base price so it will attract more potential buyers. In the end though, they'll be forced to lower base price since they have commitments to the land developer to buy available lots. If they opt out, that's where you see once all Toll Brother community mixed with a few smaller builders.

My advice to the OP is, ask for whatever you feel is right for the home with the advice of your realtor. If you want a base home for xx% off base price, ask for it. The worse they can do is say no but in a down market, I'm positive you won't be blatantly turned away. But there is always more room to negotiate once you factor in options since their cost for most options are at least 50% of the listed price.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 21,852 times
Appreciate all the help ....my 2 cents from that i have learned so far based on answers here and workign with Toll bros ..As someone pointed out they might want to protect old home buyers but they are selling homes @ a price way less then the one mentioned at their web sitesAs someone suggested they are willing to give more options than reduce the price, they will add options (even though you might not want then) they won;t take the option out and reduce the cost Last but very significantNo harm in asking ......quote your price...however low it is ...you never now

Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,967,273 times
People who bought from Toll Brothers, or anyone else, cannot be protected from the market forces. House prices went down, homes are worth less, no matter what Toll Brothers may do, they have zero control over what houses are worth.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 76,523 times
Hey JustforQA,

Could you please send the information about buying this home, If you baught the house already?? Because I am also looking to buy tollbrother's home at this area?

I would greatly appreciate your help !

Thanks,

Old 01-30-2009, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,131 times
I just recently closed on a Toll home in Dominion Valley. I bought last Spring during "Toll Advantage Days". They offered $80,000 in incentive money to be used towards options, closing costs, AND buying down the base price of the home. In addition to this they included full finished basement with 9 foot ceilings, walkout/up, and full bathroom, and also a solarium on the main level. For Toll Advantage days they gave $1 upgrades on flooring, granite, etc. I brought a realtor who asked for additional $15,000 in incentive which they accepted. Again, this was last April. I would imagine you could ask for lots more these days!!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
Default Buying "Loudoun Valley The Glen" Richmond Model

i bought richmond federal model at glen in 2009. it is decent model, got it for 640k including structural(45k) & design upgrades(30k) & free basement finished.10k premium plot includes

Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
Sai..Congratulations..Can you tell me what kind of Structural and design upgrades you received..Is Solarium included in the price and please let me know..what's the best price we can negotiate on either Richmond Federal or Colonial !!! Is your home delivered or to be !!!

Your reply can help me during the negotiations with Toll brothers.

Thanks
NSQz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_kunati View Post
i bought richmond federal model at glen in 2009. it is decent model, got it for 640k including structural(45k) & design upgrades(30k) & free basement finished.10k premium plot includes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia