Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,195,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
There are going to be many jumbotrons around the mall. You might check a glimpse of it on one of those. But they have said you must be prepared to walk up to 2 miles. The elderly, children, and handicapped people have been told to not come.

So much for ''inclusion" and change.
With up to a million people or more descending on Washington, I don't think it would be realistic to provide designated space for those who may have special needs. The change will be the variety let alone the amount of people who show up to participate despite the literally freezing temperatures.

To the OP, good choice to stay in. You'll have the best seat in the house! It may be a little crowded on Wednesday as people head out of town but you should be able to see a lot of sights. Just dress warmly; it doesn't look like it will get much above 32* for the next several days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,541,853 times
We want to go as well but I can't even understand how to get into Washington let alone after we get there. We have kids as well. It is sad that children can't experience this. I guess after people have said the same thing to me all day...stay home

Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,195,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
We want to go as well but I can't even understand how to get into Washington let alone after we get there. We have kids as well. It is sad that children can't experience this. I guess after people have said the same thing to me all day...stay home
Assuming you're staying in VA for your visit, then you should ride Metrorail into the city... although even then, the trains are sure to be packed like sardines. The expected low temperatures and huge crowds may not be conducive for younger kids.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM

15,156 posts, read 27,850,526 times
Most children don't even understand - why subject them to such conditions?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,930,992 times
The swearing-in of a President is not really a place for young children. Don't blame the organizers for pointing out this fact. It will be cold, it will be extremely crowded, and most people, especially short ones, won't be able to see anything at all. All for a chance to say "I was there"? Not sure why this is such a big deal for so many people -- perhaps they have never been part of a mob scene and don't know how unpleasant it can be. And the irony is that you'll have to watch TV later to see what you missed....

Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,959,334 times
Perhaps you could see Obama in Maryland:
Inauguration to cost Md. $11 million -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-md.inaugural14jan14,0,1688029.story - broken link)

Most costly Inaugural ever, by a great deal. This will cost $75 MILLION! I am shocked!
The Inauguration By The Numbers - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/business/2009/01/15/inauguration-cost-expense-biz-inauguration09-cx_avb_0115numbers.html - broken link)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,690,586 times
DON'T take your daughter! She'll be miserable and frankly, I wouldn't feel safe about taking a child into the crush at the Metro. Which hotel are you staying at?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,899,592 times
ok I lost my long post!

But i agree don't take your daughter. It's one thing for adults to put your self in a miserable situation because you are excited about witnessing history etc... it's another to make a child endure it.

The mass exodus when it's over will be completely overwhelming! The metro can't handle all the out bound traffic. Waiting 2-3 hours just to leave the city! (of course you can walk over to Arlington etc...)
Let your husband go and you and your daughter stay in the hotel and watch it on TV...play "find Daddy" to keep her interested.

Also if the weather changes and turns beautiful....I still wouldn't go because more crowds will show up!
(I am sure Metro police and secret service are praying for COLD, sleet and snow!!)

No, you won't be able to see anything except on a jumbotron...same view as your TV in the hotel.

yes, go into DC on weds. Yes, it will be crowded etc... but they will be spread out around the city. Just know that DC requires alot of walking etc... and with it being cold you daughter will whine and complain. I'd say plan on seeing the Lincoln memorial and the Natural History museum (inside) eat lunch in the museum then see another memorial out side and then the American history museum.
Both of those are kid friendly. (my girls didn't like the air and space museum)

Come back in the spring or fall when DC is at it's best and not too many people are about!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

884 posts, read 2,645,039 times
A child could get trampled. I would never subject a child to that. Plus some people will surely be acting like a damn fool and making it dangerous for others. Some movie theatres are showing the ceremonies in major cities. I am going to call and see if any in the MD area are doing this.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,744,967 times
This event is going to be MISERABLE for EVERYBODY. It will be around 20-25 degrees and there are only 5000 toilets for an estimated 2 million people. Once you are in place, you will NOT be allowed to leave due to security concerns. You better take food and water AND wear two pairs of DEPENDS!!! DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN. Be prepared for fights and many rude and unruly people who will claim the have a "right" to stand in front of you.

I do not understand the "historical" significance? A new president is sworn in EVERY 4 or 8 years like clockwork. What's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia