Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM

8 posts, read 10,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you know where the rentals are that you saw? Do you have a link? If you have the name of the community that would help. I am not really seeing anything for 1500.
I checked on craigslist....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I guess bottom line is: you're going to have to do some real research. That's a pretty low price point for a rental. Check Craigslist, etc. - but you'll have to take that with a grain of salt - never know how the property actually looks. Hook up w/a realtor to see if that will be any help, do your research, read the paper(s) online, etc.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk2004 View Post
Thanks for your input; based on which I checked the rentals in Manassas/Woodbridge area and I am able to find 3 bd around the range I am looking for.

Could you please suggest if one area better than other or there are any other area in PWC which I should look into?

Let me know....
There are some very nice, family-oriented neighborhoods in Manassas, but there are others that are predominantly lower-income immigrant communities with SFHs that are essentially boardinghouses for groups of unrelated men. Basically, as with anything else, you get what you pay for. If you find a 3BR house renting for a price significantly below other homes with similar amenities, there is usually a reason. You need to figure out what the price range is in that area for a 3BR house. Check some realtor websites and the "military by owner" website in addition to craigslist, so you'll have a better idea where the house you're considering fits in the price distribution. But you should be aware that $1500 is definitely on the low end for a 3 BR SFH, even out in PWC. You would have a much better range of choices with a townhouse.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 AM

8 posts, read 10,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
There are some very nice, family-oriented neighborhoods in Manassas, but there are others that are predominantly lower-income immigrant communities with SFHs that are essentially boardinghouses for groups of unrelated men. Basically, as with anything else, you get what you pay for. If you find a 3BR house renting for a price significantly below other homes with similar amenities, there is usually a reason. You need to figure out what the price range is in that area for a 3BR house. Check some realtor websites and the "military by owner" website in addition to craigslist, so you'll have a better idea where the house you're considering fits in the price distribution. But you should be aware that $1500 is definitely on the low end for a 3 BR SFH, even out in PWC. You would have a much better range of choices with a townhouse.

Thanks for your valuable input.

I am planning to visit NOVA in March to get an idea about the area and also to check rental properties; I will also be getting in touch with realtor.

Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 60,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
To Dunn Lauren,
You need a realtor to advise you, but most will probably tell you to sell your current home first.
Claremarie - Do you know of a good realtor who deals with $1-2M properties in the Vienna/Tysons/McLean area? We'd want someone familiar with the market in the town of Vienna, and areas in Vienna and McLean in the county.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 PM

229 posts, read 744,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnLauren View Post
Claremarie - Do you know of a good realtor who deals with $1-2M properties in the Vienna/Tysons/McLean area? We'd want someone familiar with the market in the town of Vienna, and areas in Vienna and McLean in the county.
Two big names in Vienna/Tysons are Casey Margeneau (Remax) and Lilian Jorgenson (L&F). Based on my experiences and what I heard, the latter has a more personal touch.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
I would use the world's best Realtor, or the best in Vienna anyway, Janet Scaffido with Long and Foster. She's been working in the Vienna area for 22 years. She's EXTREMELY professional, thorough in every detail, and she's really nice to boot! I can't recommend her highly enough. She's helped us with four homes and everything was always done right. She lives in the town of Vienna and knows it inside out.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
I have heard good things about Lillian Jorgenson, and I suspect that any recommendation that Denton would have about Vienna realtors would be on the money.

One observation with respect to Casey Margeneau - he is listed as the realtor for a number of houses in the "Madison Island" part of Vienna that were recently redistricted from Madison to South Lakes. Whereas other upper-bracket properties in the South Lakes district were clearly identified, the schools for some of his properties were not identified correctly (i.e., they continued to show Wolftrap/Thoreau/Madison as the schools, rather than Sunrise Valley/Hughes/South Lakes) or the references were replaced with "Call School Board." Several of those houses have not sold, and have had major price reductions - whereas other $1 million-plus houses identified from the outset as in the South Lakes district did sell. It's possible that the "Madison Island" sellers told him to list the properties that way, as a protest against the redistricting, but it appears to have been a questionable sales strategy. The houses themselves are very nice.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,577 times
anyone looking to buy home in Fairfax Virginia- Virginia Hills are very close to the Metro about 20 minutes drive to downtown DC- we are considering selling our home

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 PM

85 posts, read 182,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsforpresident View Post
I work for a builder and we have noticed things getting much better.

Inventory levels are the their lowest points since 2005 and prices have not been this low since 2003.

I work at a site in Ashburn and we had 17 finished homes in June. They have all sold and we now have a waitlist for our model.

Things are improving..quickly
This year is 'a bad time to buy a home,' analyst warns - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia