Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 42,226 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NoVa and I need some direction on how the Fairfax County School systems works. My two children have been labled high acheivers at their current school in Texas. Both have been tested for GT but did not qualify having missed the score by 2 - 3 % points. Within our current school district you must test above the 95% to qualify for GT services. Frankly I don't think my kids are GT, but they are definately high acheivers with no grade below 90 and most above 95 (especially math and science). Both are pretty straight forward thinkers. The oldest is entirely focused on the right answer and getting a good grade. The younger (more likely to be "gifted") would rather learn all about something and is less focused on finding the right answer, her grades aren't as high but she scored higher on the GT test.

We happen to attend an outstanding school pyramid. Most kids come from a family with highly educated parents who are scientist, engineer and doctors. Many work for NASA. So the focus on education is extremely high. So the enviroment within the school is challenging.

One is currently in 3rd and the other in 5th. Here in TX we move to middle school for 6th grade. The 5th grader has applied for theOMEGA pre-AP/AP middle school program. (There is a seperate GT program and a regular program). The Omega program is administered at the neighborhood middle school. It concentrates on Language Arts (where my kids do not excel), Social Studies and Science. Math Curriculum is not included in the Omega program (which is where she excels).

Can someone explain the Fairfax county system for determining GT? Are there classes for kids who are high acheivers but not GT? If I am moving from another state how do we test? What is the qualification for GT? above 90% or 95%. What if you score well in math but not in english?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM

488 posts, read 1,747,687 times
Gifted and Talented Programs, Instructional Services Department

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 AM

16 posts, read 42,226 times
Thanks, that was very helpful:.)

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,603 times
If you are really serious about relocating to Fairfax County. You may want to check out our FY2011 budget proposal. All 260 pages of it!!!! [URL]http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/documents/proposed/2011/ProposedBudget11.pdf[/URL]
The Fairfax County School District will lose many things that people from all over the world come here for. And our poor teachers will not receive a pay increase for the third year in a row. It is an extremely dire situation to say the least. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

320 posts, read 711,979 times
This is happening not only in Fairfax but other NoVA counties! There will be major cuts in the education budget due to the lack of money.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Soccermom. This thread is over a year old. I doubt the OP will be reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia