Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM

17 posts, read 62,597 times

Advertisements

This will be the first time we are visiting the Shenandoah Valley. My husband and 4 year daughter will be with me. We are planning end of May. We don't want to go too far from DC(we will be driving from NYso already we will have a long drive). Was thinking of FRont Royal or Luray. Which one would you suggest? Or would you suggest a difference place inthis area?
Thank You so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM

347 posts, read 934,964 times
go to Luray. It has the Caverns and an old car museum .

Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM

52 posts, read 207,130 times
Luray. The drive is more pleasant and less spoiled.

Luray is about 2 hours from D.C. If you were ambitious, Staunton, at 2-3/4 hours is a beautiful place.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM

42 posts, read 65,241 times
I too, would suggest Luray as I am more familiar with it than Front Royal.
At the Luray Caverns, there is also a maze that would be alot of fun for your 4 year old. There is the Luray Zoo with lots of reptiles. There is Lake Arrowhead which is a lake (gentle sloped entrance) with swimming, canoes, paddleboat rentals, and picinicing all in the fold of the mountains. Try to include time to go on the Skyline Drive with terrific vistas and some easy hikes to beautiful waterfalls. Also, would suggest checking out Virginia's excellent tourism website: Virginia Is For Lovers - Vacation in Virginia - Beaches, Mountains, History and More. (I agree with the other poster too, Staunton also offers alot.) Have fun!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,897,443 times
May is a perfect time to visit the Shenandoah Valley. Its probably our best month of the year. If you are in the DC area why not visit the gardens at Mt. Vernon? Travel to Front Royal and take the Skyline Drive south. You can get off around Charlottesville(about 2 hours so of DC) visit Monticello see the flowers. Head back on I-64/I-81 to Staunton and back north. Stop at Johnny Appleseed Restaurant at New Market which is near Luray. The northern Shenandoah Valley is full of farms, mountains, old historic towns and civil war relics. Too bad you can't travel south to Roanoke and beyond. The scenery is even more spectacular in the Spring with higher elevations and an increasing assortment of small towns. Remember the Skyline Drive is very slow(about 35mph)so plan some slow travel time.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,357,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
May is a perfect time to visit the Shenandoah Valley. Its probably our best month of the year. If you are in the DC area why not visit the gardens at Mt. Vernon? Travel to Front Royal and take the Skyline Drive south. You can get off around Charlottesville(about 2 hours so of DC) visit Monticello see the flowers. Head back on I-64/I-81 to Staunton and back north. Stop at Johnny Appleseed Restaurant at New Market which is near Luray. The northern Shenandoah Valley is full of farms, mountains, old historic towns and civil war relics. Too bad you can't travel south to Roanoke and beyond. The scenery is even more spectacular in the Spring with higher elevations and an increasing assortment of small towns. Remember the Skyline Drive is very slow(about 35mph)so plan some slow travel time.
Good recommendation. Visit Luray and Front Royal both, and drive on skyline drive to get from one place to the other.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM

116 posts, read 428,649 times
The thing about Skyline Drive though is I like it for a mile or two then get a little tired of the slow windy pace. Just be warned, that it is slow and windy, so be sure your daughter is up for that type of drive. I like instead to plan to be on it for a short period. You can plan to hop on and off instead of being on it for an extended distance.

I second Luray. Front Royal isn't that great a destination IMO.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,244 times
Winchester has the Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum which is a favorite of kids. There is also the Shenandoah Valley Museum on Amherst St. On Braddock Street is George Washingtons HQ.
Frederick County/Winchester elected GW to his first political office. Also on Braddock is Stonewall Jacksons HQ. The house was owned by Benjamin Moore who is the great-grandfather of Mary Tyler Moore. The Winchester visitor center is on Pleasant Valley Rd.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM

24 posts, read 86,919 times
Here's what I would do:

1. On your way to Luray, stop at the Bealton Flying Circus (operates on Sundays) Flying Circus Aerodrome & Airshow

2. Head back to 211 and Skyline Drive. Go south to Skyland - and spend the night in a cabin or lodge. Very woodsy and outdoorsy but a very nice place where you'll feel that you've really gotten away from things. There's a restuarant and periodic entertainment. Walking trails and horseback riding. Lodging, Cabins, Activities & Dining: Shenandoah National Park, Luray, Virginia

3. Go to Luray and see the sights there (Caverns, etc) Welcome to Luray and Page County - in the beautiful and historic Shenandoah Valley!

4. Head over to New Market (15 min. from Luray) and take in the New Market Battlefield and Museum. Main street is good for walking - there's shops and restaurants. The historic Town of New Market, Virginia: town information, events, news, employment.

5. You're on I-81 now and can go either south to Staunton or north to Winchester. Both have interesting things to do. If you head towards Staunton, you could come back north via Charlottesville which has Monticello.Charlottesville : Visitors

6. I don't know what part of NY you're coming from, but if you're passing by Dulles Airport, you should stop at the Air & Space museum. It's huge and has IMAX movies, the concorde, Enola Gay, and many other aircraft, plus a mock control tower to go up into. National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 18,012 times
We are visiting Shenandoah Valley next month and would like to see my friend David Kelly (the last time I saw him was in 1981, almost 30 years ago). I have tried to find his whereabouts through the internet (People search, White Pages, Intelius, etc) without luck. Can anybody help me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia