Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times

Advertisements

I think you could change "Tysons Corner" to Dulles Air and Space Museum, Burke Lake Park, Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria or any other well known local destination and find that some long time residents have never been to those places either. They drive to and from particular places (work, school, specific stores) but other than that they stick close to home.

Yet, those same people may be very well traveled and know other places - Europe, for example - like the back of their hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM

154 posts, read 374,379 times
It's probably been about 10 years since I have been in Tyson's Corner (that was also to go the Rain Forest Cafe). Hmmm... I bought a car from a dealership there in 1999 and I ate at a Pizza Hut there in about 1990. But I thought it was a dreadful place to get around in and I can't think of any reason why I would want to go back (I guess driving past on the beltway doesn't count). Now you got me curious - maybe I should check it out again...

Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think you could change "Tysons Corner" to Dulles Air and Space Museum, Burke Lake Park, Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria or any other well known local destination and find that some long time residents have never been to those places either. They drive to and from particular places (work, school, specific stores) but other than that they stick close to home.
What you said reminded me of a neighbor/friend of ours. Hubby had emailed her a photo of ducks in the neighborhood pond. She responded back with "There's a pond in our neighborhood?!?!?" She has lived here for 3 years Some people really don't get out of the house.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Why does anyone care if someone went to Tyson's, or if someone didn't know there was a pond in their neighborhood? It's their lifr to live the way they want to.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,269 times
Some people hate malls. My Mother-In-Law is like that - she grew up in a town with a Main St. - she only likes to go shopping to the little family owned stores on Main St. - it is much more pleasant than the stress of Tysons.
And compared to other malls I have visited Tysons is not that big and dumpy - seroiusly - I have been to MUCH nicer malls in my home state of NJ (sorry to have to mention it).
Malls are rip-offs - I buy mostly at outlets - I love Leesburg.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,333,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
my home state of NJ (sorry to have to mention it).
It's ok, haha when you get mad, the accent starts coming out

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,687,057 times
If visiting a shopping mall is your definition of being out in the world, that says more about you than about the people you are criticizing.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What is it about NVA that encourages people to just stay in their own small little world?
Because I have everything I need in my small world.

I chose my neighborhood because I can potentially live here without a car if I need to (of course, I like to walk a lot). Many times I don't drive for days. Nothing against other towns, I'm just not a fan of sitting in traffic, contributing to air pollution.

My neighborhood has parks and schools close by, a shopping plaza at the end of the street. Almost everything I like to do is within a 5 mile radius. I'm retired now, but my job was walking distance, too. At one time I had to drive 7 miles, for me that's as far as I feel like driving to work. Every once in a while I check out the other neighborhoods, especially if I'm invited to a party. They're interesting but really not that much different from where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Oh, have you ever been to Tysons Corner?
I go to Tysons a few times each winter when it snows and it's treacherous for me to take my usual strolls. If I walk the entire mall three times over I feel like I've had an interesting walk, and that gives me a chance to look at the stores. They have some interesting stores, it's the only place I've ever seen an entire store dedicated to Obama memorabilia.

But I like Tysons for walking. When it comes to shopping I actually prefer Dulles Town Center, which is close to my home.

Last edited by normie; 04-21-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Why is it that people who are afraid of the traffic at Tysons are always the people who have never been there, or been there once, during the Christmas rush?
I don't find traffic there unusually scary. Of course, the road work going on right now might make it a little more hazardous but I'd rather drive around Tysons than drive around looking for a store in Seven Corners.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM

240 posts, read 222,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't find traffic there unusually scary. Of course, the road work going on right now might make it a little more hazardous but I'd rather drive around Tysons than drive around looking for a store in Seven Corners.
The traffic in Tysons isn't scary, but it is a pain in the neck to get around there. Not interested in fighting traffic on the weekend, I do enough of that during the week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia