Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM

943 posts, read 3,164,325 times

Advertisements

I am constantly shocked at the number of people I run into who live in a real small world. I tell them the name of the town I live in (Vienna) and most people have never heard of it. I mention shopping at Tysons Corner and they have never been there. I can understand if they have just moved to the area but these are long term residents.

What is it about NVA that encourages people to just stay in their own small little world?

Oh, have you ever been to Tysons Corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,256,795 times
Yeah I've been to Tysons but have you seen the traffic around Tysons? I can't blame them for not going. I mean in the end it's just a mall. Maybe there's no need to go to Tysons. I tell people I live in Oakton and they look at me funny. So I say at the end of the orange line in Vienna or near Fair oaks mall and they're like oh ok I know. So I guess if they've never been to Tysons that's okay as long as your coworkers wears decent clothes to work it doesn't matter where she bought them.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Why is not going to Tysons defined as "staying in their own small world"? What's the big deal about Tyson's? I've been through there a few times and try to avoid it.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,420,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly shocked at the number of people I run into who live in a real small world. I tell them the name of the town I live in (Vienna) and most people have never heard of it. I mention shopping at Tysons Corner and they have never been there. I can understand if they have just moved to the area but these are long term residents.

What is it about NVA that encourages people to just stay in their own small little world?

Oh, have you ever been to Tysons Corner?

Um, maybe the TRAFFIC?

Wow. And no, I have not been to Tysons Corner. I don't think I'm missing out on anything I have not already seen elsewhere....

Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,798 times
I've been to Tyson's, but not often. Like everyone else said, the traffic out that way is brutal. Tyson's isn't a far drive for me at all, as the crow flies. But if I need to go to a mall for something, chances are I can find what I need at Fair Oaks without having to fight gridlock (usually) to get there. And my toddler can run around the play center at Fair Oaks without getting clobbered by 75 thousand other children on a rainy day. So it's a no-brainer.

If Tyson's ever becomes easily accessible, I'll definitely spend more time and money there.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,617,743 times
I've only been there a couple of times. The traffic keeps me from going there on my own. I hate malls as it is, why would I want to go to one that is surrounded by a horrendous amount of cars.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
I'd have to guess that with the stressful lives that many in NoVA lead it should come as no surprise that between working long weeks, commuting in heavy traffic, and trying to meet deadlines that not everyone has the time or energy to go on out and "explore." Fortunately for me I have a guaranteed 40-hour work week (no mandatory overtime) and have flex time so you can bet that I'll be out and about snapping photo tours all over the region on my weekends. However, I wouldn't dare judge someone just because they hadn't been somewhere before. People can't believe that I've never flown on a plane before, and now that my new position will take me to Memphis semi-annually for training I'm already looking into taking a train or just driving in.

I probably WILL make it to Tyson's Corners the first week I move in just to see if it lives up to its congested reputation. I already know that Route 7 most certainly does!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM

4,459 posts, read 8,152,801 times
I've been to Tysons, but malls are like airports. Once you've been to one, they're all pretty much the same.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,959,810 times
I love Tysons! Where else can you find the biggest Macys, Bloomingdales, LL Bean, Lord and Taylor, and a huge Nordstroms, all in one place, with ample parking and some really good restaurants and movies and book stores that stay open late? No other mall in this area has all of that. Traffic moves fine around Tysons, except for rush hour during December. I've never had a problem getting in, and out, quickly.

I've visited the Mall of America and it's a dump compared to Tysons.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM

241 posts, read 988,235 times
I go to Tyson's Corner mall 3-4 times a year just because they don't have "The Limited" in Dulles town Center, otherwise I wouldn't bother..... and that too I go in Sales season and at those time the mall is packed... its crazy. "Pumpkin Patch Kids" was another reason but now they have a store in Dulles Town center, thankfully... so happy about that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia