Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 813,661 times

Advertisements

I've become quite the fashion snob over the years so I haven't shopped in a mall in ages...if I do go I am more of a Tysons II/Galleria kind of gal (Chanel and Neiman Marcus and Saks are regular stops when there). Beyond that, I buy most fashion items online...including Nordstroms/Bloomingdales online websites in lieu of shopping at the actual stores.

I am also surprised how people stay in one area and do not venture out. I personally want to see all this area has to offer. I have visited all the counties surrounding DC either to visit friends, shop, dine, go to an event, work....I find a lot of people cannot say this unfortunately. No matter what we think about them, each county in this area has something unique to offer and I enjoy them all. There are also several great historical sites that make for great dates/family outings...check out the National Park Service website...many local counties have a lot of great places to go. I live near an old fort and old cannons and lookout points used during the civil war overlooking the Potomac river in the Ft. Washington area...these are some fav places of mine to go for a walk/hike with beautiful scenery that many people have no clue about. My husband, DC native, admits that as a kid/teen he didn't venture beyond his section of DC at all...and to this day many residents do not/have not. He is still highly suspect of NoVa and rarely wants to go there...for reasons why I will never understand...I on the other hand am very comfortable there as I mainly worked and for over a decade lived there...I find it ridiculous and based on some old lore passed down through generations of minorities during far more racially charged times. But anyhoo...I guess it happens with some. Some people are just more openminded and adventurous than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,263,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am constantly shocked at the number of people I run into who live in a real small world. I tell them the name of the town I live in (Vienna) and most people have never heard of it. I mention shopping at Tysons Corner and they have never been there. I can understand if they have just moved to the area but these are long term residents.

What is it about NVA that encourages people to just stay in their own small little world?

Oh, have you ever been to Tysons Corner?

Why in the world do you care? I've lived in NoVa since 1973 and I can count the number of times on one hand I've been to Tysons. It's a mall and nothing more.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,497,625 times
The era of the giant indoor shopping mall is coming to a close, everwhere you go these giant malls are being demolished and replaced with smaller, more intimate and outdoor "town centers". Malls like Tysons corner, Springfield mall, and landmark mall are dinosaurs, symbols of a bygone era. But what an era it was. Back when I was a teenager in the 80s I worked at the mall and those were really fun times for me.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,901,943 times
Here are 2 of my favorite malls, both outdoor, but both in SoCal. What are yours?

[url=http://www.beachcalifornia.com/newport5.html]Fashion Island Shopping Center in Newport Beach, California[/url]

[url=http://sandiego.about.com/od/shopping/ig/Otay-Ranch-Town-Center/]Image Gallery: Otay Ranch Town Center | Tour Otay Ranch Town Center in Chula Vista[/url]

Otay Ranch does not have a city/town center-like most of nova. So the mall was built with streets and sidewalks to seem like one.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 813,661 times
Now that I think about it, I've met a lot of DC natives that have never been to the Smithsonians or up in the monument beyond when required for primary school field trips. I love spending a nice weekend browsing exhibits downtown....one of the reasons I love living close in to the city.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM

142 posts, read 568,062 times
I think it just comes down to personal preference - if someone doesn't go somewhere like Tysons, it doesn't mean that they're not sophisticated or anything.

When I was growing up, my parents made it a point for us to explore virtually every aspect of the metro area we lived in - and so it's a habit for me to explore where I live. On the other hand, my very wealthy aunt, who is a complete fashion snob, has only been to Tysons a couple of times - and that was with other people who wanted to buy her something. She gets everything she wants online because she doesn't like traffic.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 58,360 times
I'm a NOVA native and for me it comes down to one thing, traffic. The traffic getting anywhere just gets old. Yes the metro is a great option, one I've used whenever I want to go to museums, the zoo etc. But the metro adds a lot of time to the trip and the idea of driving adds a lot of headache.
I think my brother summed it up best when describing the DC area. "It starts to feel like everything is close but nothing is convenient".

Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,744,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechlawyerinPG View Post
I've become quite the fashion snob over the years so I haven't shopped in a mall in ages...if I do go I am more of a Tysons II/Galleria kind of gal (Chanel and Neiman Marcus and Saks are regular stops when there). Beyond that, I buy most fashion items online...including Nordstroms/Bloomingdales online websites in lieu of shopping at the actual stores.

I am also surprised how people stay in one area and do not venture out. I personally want to see all this area has to offer. I have visited all the counties surrounding DC either to visit friends, shop, dine, go to an event, work....I find a lot of people cannot say this unfortunately. No matter what we think about them, each county in this area has something unique to offer and I enjoy them all. There are also several great historical sites that make for great dates/family outings...check out the National Park Service website...many local counties have a lot of great places to go. I live near an old fort and old cannons and lookout points used during the civil war overlooking the Potomac river in the Ft. Washington area...these are some fav places of mine to go for a walk/hike with beautiful scenery that many people have no clue about. My husband, DC native, admits that as a kid/teen he didn't venture beyond his section of DC at all...and to this day many residents do not/have not. He is still highly suspect of NoVa and rarely wants to go there...for reasons why I will never understand...I on the other hand am very comfortable there as I mainly worked and for over a decade lived there...I find it ridiculous and based on some old lore passed down through generations of minorities during far more racially charged times. But anyhoo...I guess it happens with some. Some people are just more openminded and adventurous than others.
My wife works as a stylist at MaxMara in Tysons II. She would love to show you what they have to offer clients that are not shy to buy nice clothes in this economy. Ask for Melissa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia