Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 40,713 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I recently accepted a job with the Govt. and will be moving to the NOVA area from NJ. My job is located in the Metropark Complex accross the Springfield Metro Station. My wife and I are looking into buying a house ($300k-$400k) and are considering the Port Potomac area. The main reason is the proximity to the VRE and that it is a developing area.

We would like to find out more info about Port Potomac and its surrounding area. Any info will help. We've heard A LOT of bad things (crime-shootings/robberies on a constant basis, bad schools) about Woodbridge and want clear somethings up. We asked a resident of Port Potomac, they seemed to be quite happy with the area in general.

Any other recommendation on others areas to look out for aside from Lake Ridge/Monclair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM

131 posts, read 426,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122201 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently accepted a job with the Govt. and will be moving to the NOVA area from NJ. My job is located in the Metropark Complex accross the Springfield Metro Station. My wife and I are looking into buying a house ($300k-$400k) and are considering the Port Potomac area. The main reason is the proximity to the VRE and that it is a developing area.

We would like to find out more info about Port Potomac and its surrounding area. Any info will help. We've heard A LOT of bad things (crime-shootings/robberies on a constant basis, bad schools) about Woodbridge and want clear somethings up. We asked a resident of Port Potomac, they seemed to be quite happy with the area in general.

Any other recommendation on others areas to look out for aside from Lake Ridge/Monclair?
Port Potomac looks really nice. It's true the surrounding area (Rt1) is not the nicest; some older townhome and apartment communities which, naturally are lower income neighborhoods, and older strip malls. There is some new development in near the port potomac area though. I've also seen a lot of forclosures in the area, even in the newer communities.

I assure you violent crime is not a significant issue.

In terms of schools, I think all the high schools in woodbridge are decent, but not up to the level of most fairfax county schools. I'm not sure what schools port potomac is zoned to, but I'm guessing Freedom or Potomac high. Natually, being that a lot of the lower income neighborhoods in woodbridge feed into these schools, the test scores will be lower. However, you'll find less varience between the "best" high schools and "worst" in woodbridge compared to say Fairfax.

It's true Lake Ridge and Montclair are solid places to look and still pretty affordable, but you'd be looking at mostly older houses. And there is varience within these communities as well.

Port Potomac is definately more convinient for the VRE. Saves you maybe a 10-15 minute drive from Lake Ridge or Montclair further west.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Woodbridge like any other area will have its share of crime. Even FFX has it's share of muggins and shootings, so don't be disillusioned to think that a more expensive area has less crime. I've lived in PWC since '89 and I've never been robbed or shot, but I'm sure things like that do happen. I have to give credit to the PWC Police, when crime happens they are on top of it. I can recall the killings of a mother/son and they had a guy in custody within a week.

PWC was one of the areas that were hit very hard with foreclosures. This reason is why the home prices have dropped a lot. Bad for those people who lost out, but good for those that are in the position to buy. The proximity to DC and the tech corridor though insulates PWC from massive job losses. Also the BRAC initiative will be sending a lot of jobs to Ft. Belvoir and Quantico, both very accessible to PWC.

Wegmans is just north of Port Potomac. There are going to be a lot of business in that shopping center and hopefully will bring a lot of jobs and tax basis to the area. I think Wegmans does a good job researching the area before it builds. I don't think it would build a store in an area that will not be able to support it.

Lake Ridge also has good access to the Belmont VRE station. Just get onto Oldbridge, turn right onto Horner and cross over Route 1 and the VRE is at your left. It's only a few stations to Springfield.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 AM

9 posts, read 40,713 times
I wanted to thank you all for responding.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 AM

66 posts, read 344,576 times
Mac122201,

You asked the same basic question I was trying to understand. We're moving to the area and have the same basic budget. Only I'll be working right downtown in DC. My agent is sending me all kinds of listings for new/newish homes in the Woodbridge-Triangle area that are really nice.

Trying to understand many of the negative (or at least not postive) comments about the area is tough when compared to all of the new homes we're seeing that are in our price range.

Good luck on your search.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
dansuz1,

Personally I'd nix Triangle if you'll be working in DC. I took the VRE from Qantico (nearest VRE stop in Triangle) and it took me about 1.5 hours to get to my job. 1 hours was the vre train to L'enfant, but then I had to transfer to the metro and still walk to my office. It was ok for a while, but just imagine 3 hours of commuting every day. Needless to say, I eventually moved to Alexandria just so I could be closer to work. My advice like others familiar with this area is, live close to where you'll work. Otherwise your family time will suffer.

Here is the VRE schedule if you're interested: http://vre.org/service/Lrg%20FBG%20Sched.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 AM

66 posts, read 344,576 times
oneasterisk,

I have been trying to reconcile the two factors you mentions, family and commute, since we have begun looking for homes. We're really hoping to move into the home where our family grows up in (2 and 4 y.o.) and not have to move again. So I want a home we can love and afford. But I hate the idea of being away from home for so long.

Lots to think about. I have some contacts in the area that I'm going to have some long talks with before we decide.

I appreciate your feedback and advice.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM

131 posts, read 426,129 times
If you're going to be working in DC or arlington, consider slugging. When I lived in the woodbridge area and worked in crystal city, i got a ride to Potomac Mills (10 minutes) waited a few minutes for a ride, then it was less then a 30 minute drive to crystal city and got dropped off a minute walk from where I worked. It was free and fast. If you have to work late or leave early, you can take the bus or metro and bus back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia