Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,618,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The most important tip, IMO, is don't fertilize in August or if it's still really hot in September. Wait until it cools down a little. Lawns get really stressed out during heat waves, and at that point the fertilizer hurts them rather than helps them.
Agrees here... I keep seeing "professionals" hired by HOAs who throw down fertilizer in the summer and burn up the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,746,607 times
Go to the scotts website. I am on their fertilizer/weed killer plan and it is painless.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM

5,667 posts, read 5,100,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Go to the scotts website. I am on their fertilizer/weed killer plan and it is painless.
Good advice. The basics of getting your lawn to look good are:

1) Use the Scotts products as labeled
2) Cut regularly with a sharp mower blade, never trimming more than 1/3 of the height
3) Deep watering once a week
4) Check the pH of the soil and adjust as needed

Given reasonable weather (no heat waves and fairly regular rains) and no insect problems (grubs), your lawn will look really good. Of course you can always do more, but this will keep it looking better than most.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM

199 posts, read 653,763 times
Thanks everyone... I've started with the mowing and watering once a week.... (though the rain is taking care of most watering right now) Am holding off on weedicide for now(?) My neighbour said he has a groundhog problem. Will that affect my lawn too

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM

628 posts, read 1,935,773 times
Groundhog problem! Where do you live! Your neighbor may not know the difference between a groundhog and a mole, perhaps. I've had moles in the past, but they have disappeared. The worst they do is hump the ground slightly in their subterranean travels. Just tamp the ground back down. They otherwise do no damage to a lawn, and, in fact, eat insects in the earth that can harm your lawn--like grubs.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,984,499 times
A few years ago they had a groundhog out by the golf course in Algonkian Park. I heard he was around long enough they began calling him Bill Murray. Apparently it took a few months to get rid of him. Not sure what they did, or what the groundhog was doing to the golf course. I never saw any signs of damage.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM

106 posts, read 384,412 times
I through some Southern Weed N Feed on my lawn this spring and it killed everything except the bermuda. Looks like a golf course now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia