Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 PM

188 posts, read 594,816 times

Advertisements

We are a family of five with one day to spend at Chincoteague in the middle of a roadtrip. Our 7-year old is obsessed with horses and ponies. What should we do/see and any recommendations on where we should stay?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
I haven't been to Chincoteague since I was a kid (who loved horses). From what I remember, the island is small enough to be able to see everything, horses included. But, it's been quite a while.... I'm hoping to take my own kids there soon.

Be sure to have your 7 year old read "Misty of Chincoteague" before you go. It makes the whole experience even more special. Hope you have a fun trip!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
I've never done it, but I've always wanted to see the pony swim: Chincoteague Pony Swim

It's been years since I've been to Chincoteague...

Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 AM

She read and reread Misty until the pages fell out. She's also the other Henry books that are about horses on Chincoteague.

I've been looking into websites, and have read some negative reviews about the paid tours you can take via boat. Some people say they went on the tour and never actually saw horses. I'm wondering if we can just drive around and see them.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,764 times
I took my daughter last year and stayed at Snug Harbor Marina - they are small cottages (nothing fancy) but its on the water, you can fish, use their canoes and they have a little tiki bar. The owner or guy running it's really nice. Really everyone in that area seemed to be really nice. We were a quick drive to the park, did the lighthouse tour and were able to see the ponies on our drives very close up.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
We camped at Assateague island a few years ago. It was AMAZING the ponies were everywhere! My kids loved it. The ponies wandered in and out of the campsite esp when were cooking etc...
It's a state and National park so no overnite places except campsites, but may be a great place to go for the day if you don't see any ponies on Chincoteague.
They tend to gather down at the beach at sunset to get away from the bugs.

Bring lots of good bug repellant! the Mosquitos are horrendous. We used yard guard around the campsite and lathered up our bodies very good.
We saw people who couldn't get out of the car because they were so bad (back by dunes) esp if they had rain recently.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
We camped at Assateague island a few years ago. It was AMAZING the ponies were everywhere! My kids loved it. The ponies wandered in and out of the campsite esp when were cooking etc...
It's a state and National park so no overnite places except campsites, but may be a great place to go for the day if you don't see any ponies on Chincoteague.
They tend to gather down at the beach at sunset to get away from the bugs.
I've had lots of fun on Assateague too! If you have a 4-wheel drive and some $$$ you can get a permit to drive on the beach. I've had a good time having campfires on the part of the beach you can drive on. Lots of horses!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,759 times
We went here about 7 years ago - we went in August and it took us 3 days to see a pony!! The weather was kind of gray and rainy, so that may be the reason. We did enjoy the quiet area. The gift shops have lots of horse themed items.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much for the info. There's a place called the Pony Centre. Has anyone gone there? I guess it's sort of a tourist trap??? Apparently the descendants of Misty are there. Is it worth it? Or should we just do Assateague?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM

324 posts, read 837,638 times
If your daughter is truly a fan of the "Misty of Chincoteague" book, she may enjoy staying at Miss Molly's Inn B&B in the Marguerite Henry room. Marguerite Henry apparently stayed there back in the 40s while working on "Misty." I've stayed at the inn and really enjoyed it. At the very least, you wouldn't go hungry. They cook up a heck of a breakfast!

If you're more budget minded, you might consider "The Refuge Inn." If memory serves correct, they also have a corral of ponies out front. You can stop by and see them though even if you don't stay there.

As for seeing the ponies, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. We saw them every day we were there. It can be tough to get very close but even just driving onto Assateague you can frequently see them from the road. If you go hiking or biking the trails to find ponies (or for any other reason) DEFINATELY take bug spray. If you've only been on the beach you will think you don't need it. Believe me, once you get out of the breeze, you will need it--BADLY.

Do go up in the lighthouse and make sure to go ALL the way up. It gives you an incredible view of the islands. Check out Spider's Boat tour. You may not see any ponies while on it but it's a great time none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia