Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
HPN

1 posts, read 2,053 times

Advertisements

Lessons learned are:
_ Long windows cost almost twice as much as other vendors in term of window size and prove no better than my builder-graded ones in term of noise reduction.
_ Their 100% satisfaction policy is just gimmick.
_ Keep your contract amount with them low in hope that you can pursue them in a small claim court. Read their contract carefully because it is written to trick you into having to go through the arbitration of American Arbitration Association. It's prohibitively costly, lengthy, and contractor-favorable.

If you think their windows are better than other vendors' windows and their 100% satisfaction guarantee is any worthy. Think again!
I needed better soundproof windows and just because of the noise from the traffic of a nearby road. After observing my noise situation in two visits, the sale rep Mike M. claimed that long windows would significantly reduce the noise. He also insisted on their 100% satisfaction policy to back up his claim. After the job done, there's absolutely no noise reduction compared to the adjacent bedroom. The adjacent bedroom has builder-graded windows, with similar window areas and relative position to the noise source. My wife and I spent 3 mornings and 3 nights trying in vain to notice any improvement. I called him back and his boss, John F. the region manager, to observe themselves. Neither could say they notice any less noise. I am a reasonable person. I do not look for noise level to my satisfaction. I just want to notice some noise reduction to justify the replacement. The noise reduction is none and far cry from the claimed significant level that a reasonable person should easily notice. Not for long they ignored me completely. After several weeks I tried to contact them, they responded a letter denying any liability claiming the noise is from the wall even they know my house has brick sidings. They think I am just a little guy easy to hush up. I am going for fairness and pursuing a lawsuit against them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I do not understand a need to replace windows.

With only a couple exceptions the windows in my 20+ year old house (1) stay closed year round and (2) work fine - double paned as well.

I cannot imagine replacing them.

[having typed that - a LOT of the houses in my neighborhood HAVE replaced them]
My windows stay closed and "work" as far as that they are there, but they're quite drafty, the locks/latches are almost all broken...and they're aluminum and ugly

Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,863,012 times
If I wasn't moving I would replace all of my windows. We have over 30 windows in our townhouse and they are 'builder grade'. Horrible.... They are so drafty, you can just feel the cold air seeping through and I know it makes a huge difference in our heating/air conditioning bill. But - like I said, I am moving.... I do however need to replace the glass in one window that has been cracked since the day I moved in....if anyone knows anybody who can just do glass replacement, please give a shout out! Thanks.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,694 times
A couple people above had bad experiences with Long Fence/Window. Sounds about right. A relative of mine had Long Fence install pavers on her front stoop and walkway. Awful service and workmanship. They left some type of residue on the steps which they said would wash off but never did. They also tried to pressure her into paying the entire cost before it was finished which was not the agreement. There was some issue with the railing installation too.

I would never use Long Fence for any type of work.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM

462 posts, read 1,212,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
If I wasn't moving I would replace all of my windows. We have over 30 windows in our townhouse and they are 'builder grade'. Horrible.... They are so drafty, you can just feel the cold air seeping through and I know it makes a huge difference in our heating/air conditioning bill. But - like I said, I am moving.... I do however need to replace the glass in one window that has been cracked since the day I moved in....if anyone knows anybody who can just do glass replacement, please give a shout out! Thanks.
Sterling Glass, in Sterling, does just glass replacement. We were looking to go this route for a few fogged windows but decided to do full replacement.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,026,649 times
I used Window World to replace my windows. No complaints here, they work well and the price is good.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 21,705 times
Suggest that you subscribe to Washington Consumer's Checkbook magazine. It outdoes Angie's LIst in every way and the annual subscription is $20 a year. As a subscriber, you can use their on-line review features, whihc include a detailed article on window and door installers and the review of over a hundred in the metro DC area. The top 3 for NoVa are:

(I used Allied for my doors - they are outstanding)

Allied The Window Center
Annandale, VA 22003
703-256-0600

American Home Center
Beltsville, MD 20705
301-220-1144

American Windows & Siding
Fairfax, VA 22032
703-323-1120

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,898 times
We have a new construction home and the builders grade vinyl windows are horrible. They are very drafty in winter and you can see the curtains move. We started replacing a few rooms at a time to a higher end vinyl window and it's made a great difference. Those rooms are more comfortable now. We found a local company in Ashburn called Elements that gave us a great price compared to other companies. They're not the cheapest but they were the best value. Their site is: [URL="http://www.ElementsHomeRemodeling.com"]www.ElementsHomeRemodeling.com[/URL]

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,863,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Sterling Glass, in Sterling, does just glass replacement. We were looking to go this route for a few fogged windows but decided to do full replacement.
Thanks!

Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
I did my windows with Nova Exteriors in Vienna. Of all the demonstrations I saw, they had the best quality window (the Verde by Sunrise), and gave me a fair price in relation to the other estimates I received. My replacement windows (and sliding glass doors) look beautiful and do a great job at keeping my utility bills down. Definitely recommend Nova! Nova Exteriors - Northern Virginia Window Replacement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia