Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,885,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I just believe people in NoVA need to stop fearing "infill." It's not a profanity!
What I fear is unintelligent/greedy (on the parts of county supervisors and developers) "infill." I couldn't be more supportive of thoughtul/intelligent/CAREFUL urban planning for Fairfax Co. and, indeed, believe very strongly that non-car forms of transportation (pedestrian/bicycle lanes and mass transit) need to be one of the primary emphases in this process. The recent development I've seen in NoVA, though, is mostly still car-centered *and* resembles something Salvador Dalí might have painted had he started to explore dystopian/apocalyptic themes in his work. In other words, not all dense development = good development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,986,438 times
I don't see that many people who are "afraid" of in fill. They just don't want to see the entire metro area turned into a giant Ballston.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't see that many people who are "afraid" of in fill. They just don't want to see the entire metro area turned into a giant Ballston.
I'm not saying all of NoVA has to become Ballston by any stretch of the imagination. HOWEVER, places that are already heavily-populated and lack overall pedestrian-friendliness (i.e. Tyson's Corner, Reston, and a few other areas) would benefit from some denser mixed-use projects.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,986,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
As the boomers age, you will also see a lot of condo complexes going up -- composed of one-level condos. Many choose to stay in the DC area b/c they still have debts, need to work and/or have family and/or an emotional/intellectual connection to the area (go figure!).

You'll also see more more hospitals, pharmacies, libraries, senior centers, community colleges, theatres, and people driving in the passing lane at 25 mph.
I agree (well, except maybe the part about driving 25 mph hahaha ) I'm a classic example of a person who always intended to move away after retirement. In fact, I did for about a year--and then moved back because I found out I really missed the area.

NOVA is actually a pretty nice place to retire, and I predict we will see a rise in the services for retirees as that group grows. One interesting thing I see happening is seniors sharing 4,000 sf houses. Sort of like that old tv series "The Golden Girls." We're sharing our house right now. We fell into this by accident (part of what happens when you move away and rent out your house to people you know, then move back and don't have the heart to make them leave).

It's worked out better than I would have guessed. It's funny that I never knew many people who shared a house until I started living this way myself, but now I've found out quite a few people I know have similar situations.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I agree (well, except maybe the part about driving 25 mph hahaha )
One of my biggest pet peeves about Route 7 are the left-lane hoggers, but you'll be pleased to learn, Normie, that I've come across more MIDDLE-AGED "left lane lolly-gaggers" than elderly ones!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,920 times
Quote:
One of my biggest pet peeves about Route 7 are the left-lane hoggers, but you'll be pleased to learn, Normie, that I've come across more MIDDLE-AGED "left lane lolly-gaggers" than elderly ones!
That's because they're on their cell phones.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
That's because they're on their cell phones.
True!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 PM

28 posts, read 26,085 times
Judging from this, it looks like Fauquier has done a good job at managing growth.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
To also give some perspective on how far out our metro area is expanding we just have to look further west. I grew up in West Virginia (not the portion closest to DC) but spillover growth from the DC area is insane in Jefferson and Berkley Counties.

Berkeley County, home to Martinsburg (approx 90 miles west of DC) has gone from 46,775 in 1980 to 102,044 in 2008. Berkeley County, WV Population and Components of Change

I believe the MARC train was extended out there in the late 70s so I'm assuming that really ignited it.

Jefferson County, home to Harpers Ferry and Charles Town has grown from 30,302 in 1980 to 51,615 in 2008. Jefferson County, WV Population and Components of Change

Jefferson County is closer to job centers in the DC area than Berkeley but they enacted growth controls and zoning in many areas thus attributing to lower levels of population growth.

I didn't bother to really look any further but I can guarantee Washington County MD (home to Hagerstown) and Franklin County PA have also seen very high growth rates in that time period. Nearly all of it the result of major growth in metropolitan Washington.
So who are these people and were are they going to from Berekly County and Franklin County?

Common sense says once you hit Sugarload MTN in Maryland (West Montgomery County) you're rural.
Once you pass Leesburg North and West...you're rural.

So if these further out counties are growing...why...and what does that make the green, open space in between?

I always thought Ranson and those areas were rural...but if they are 'sandwiched' does that have any affect on the character of the area even if it is not itself being developed?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I just believe people in NoVA need to stop fearing "infill." It's not a profanity! As I said in my Reston Land Use College thread a few weeks ago a lot of the old-timers in Reston are terrified that Reston is going to become "Arlingtonized" due to all of the massive mixed-use projects and high-rises on our not-so-distant horizon (that will probably only grow in quantity when the Metrorail's Silver Line is extended here in several years). I think Reston founder Bob Simon would PROMOTE and ENCOURAGE transit-oriented development in Reston, as he initially wanted to create a community where people could walk to most of their necessities, mingle with their neighbors, etc., etc. The Reston of 2009 isn't that by a long shot, but the Reston of 2040 can be.

I undersand we'll never get people to abandon personal automobiles in favor of mass transit, even with generous subsidies, but overall NoVA really needs to stop orienting 100% of its new development around the automobile. Tyson's Corner is the perfect example of how poor planning a generation ago is now going to cost OUR GENERATION billions of tax dollars to correct to make that part of McLean more pedestrian- and bicyclist-friendly (Google "Transforming Tyson's"). Streets are going to have to be "calmed" and retro-fitted with sidewalks/bike lanes. Pedestrian bridges may have to be constructed over Routes 7 and 123 in strategic locations. Surface parking lots are going to have to be bulldozed and replaced with garages to permit more room for urban green space. I work right in a high-rise right in the heart of Tyson's Corner, and I have no idea how I could safely cross Route 7 to get to Wendy's.

Like it or not, folks, Fairfax County is going to have to start building UP instead of just out because we're running out of room. You can either put up resistance as some of the folks in Reston are doing, or you can embrace this change as being necessary. You can't just have people continuing to sprawl into Culpeper, Winchester, Southern Pennsylvania, Frederick, Charles Town, etc. and tell them to commute 3 hours each day. For God's sake I just received an advertisement in the mail today for Snowden Bridge, a planned community in Winchester, that is advertising its "hassle-free commute to D.C."
Infill please.

I want it logical...were once you get beyond point A...you are rural.
I find it annoying and sad that it is getting hard to tell if an area is rural since you can have 20 miles of country sandwiched between two sprawlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia