Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM

19 posts, read 80,827 times

Advertisements

I think there's far better things for officers to be doing than sitting with a radar detector. Speed is the one law that should be a "suggestion". I just moved from Michigan where the standard speed limit is 70 mph on the interstate. I certainly don't understand why it's 55 here. If you can go faster than 5mph, you should be able to. Going 55 in the evening when traffic has thinned is insane! Anyone who backs the strict enforcement of low speed limits is more than welcome to spend more of your life in the car. I would rather be spending mine with my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Someone needs to do some research. You might find it surprising to find where the money really goes from tickets. Especially from the larger counties/cities. I'll give you a clue. It's not to the department or local govt.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,338,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Someone needs to do some research. You might find it surprising to find where the money really goes from tickets. Especially from the larger counties/cities. I'll give you a clue. It's not to the department or local govt.
Well wherever it goes, it does seem to be more police on the streets handing out tickets. Can you give us a clue to where it goes?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Fairfax has a $500 million budget shortfall.
The second-wealthiest county in the nation is a half-billion dollars in debt? What idiots at the helm do we have to thank for that one?!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried10 View Post
I think there's far better things for officers to be doing than sitting with a radar detector. Speed is the one law that should be a "suggestion". I just moved from Michigan where the standard speed limit is 70 mph on the interstate. I certainly don't understand why it's 55 here. If you can go faster than 5mph, you should be able to. Going 55 in the evening when traffic has thinned is insane! Anyone who backs the strict enforcement of low speed limits is more than welcome to spend more of your life in the car. I would rather be spending mine with my family.
Fairfax County probably sets them super low speed limits just to drive drivers to speed so they can make some $$ for their county. I went to Manassas two weeks ago and the speed limit on Dumfries Rd (which is similar to the Fairfax County Pkwy East of I-95) is 55. The FFX County Pkwy east of I-95 speed limit is 45 mph. As someone who commutes on the parkway 4 times a week it is murder trying to stay 45 mph as other cars blow by you.

I know that Fairfax County can be a boring county to patrol but as someone who works off Rt. 1 FFX cops can find something to do there other than harass motorists.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I know that Fairfax County can be a boring county to patrol but as someone who works off Rt. 1 FFX cops can find something to do there other than harass motorists.

Perhaps they ought to start PATROLLING RESTON?! I didn't appreciate getting that crime wave notice stuffed into my door jamb a couple of weeks ago. People are getting mugged while our "finest" are setting up speed traps. Priorities, anyone? Should we pull over someone for doing 55 in a 45, or should we PATROL NEIGHBORHOODS to give people more peace of mind for their tax dollars?!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps they ought to start PATROLLING RESTON?! I didn't appreciate getting that crime wave notice stuffed into my door jamb a couple of weeks ago. People are getting mugged while our "finest" are setting up speed traps. Priorities, anyone? Should we pull over someone for doing 55 in a 45, or should we PATROL NEIGHBORHOODS to give people more peace of mind for their tax dollars?!
Heck, here on the west end of Alexandria people's cars are getting their bumpers, doors, and hoods stolen right off the car, car break-ins have always been a problem here, and the Alexandria police are nowhere in sight and are too busy writing people up for making wrong turns into the Foxchase shopping center.

I encourage taking advantage of second amendment rights and buying a gun to protect you and your property because the police department that is supposed to be protecting you will probably be too busy trying to make money to cover budget mismanagement by your government officials.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
Quote:
The second-wealthiest county in the nation is a half-billion dollars in debt? What idiots at the helm do we have to thank for that one?!
Blame the voters for hiring them and then not voting them out.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,338,755 times
Quote:
For starters, they splurged on new government buildings. I forgot a few years back they spend over 100 million on a new facility. Look at all the cop cars as well... they're brand new. Go over to PG county and you will see the compairison in spending.

When money was coming in during the housing boom years, there should have not been a splurge in county jobs and loose spending.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM

573 posts, read 2,508,007 times
Fairfax county in general is over the top with the police presence. It's verging on ridiculous. And yes, I was complaining about it before I got the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia