Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Did Fairfax County deputize Albert Haynesworth to patrol the Parkway? Cause apparently he was out working today.
I think Dan Synder donated some of Albert's services to the Ffx county police. If $100 million can't buy some decent play from him may as well get SOMETHING out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've not noticed the Fairfax County police being unusually tough on speeding.
I don't know about now, but a few years ago, when I was commuting from RT 1 area along Franconia / Old Keene Mill roads to Burke, they were running radar virtually everyday at various points along the way. Usually in school zones, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've not noticed the Fairfax County police being unusually tough on speeding.
I depends on what you're comparing it to. I'm up in Pennsylvanis this weekend for a Superbowl Party and the speeding and tailgating up here is pretty bad. Maybe it's just that it's a party weekend or it could be because I don't see as many police officers. We're having fun but we've already had one nervous road experience, FWIW, and we just got here.

So compared to PA we seem to have cops who are unusually tough on speeding. But compared to where I used to live in Los Angeles, VA cops are lax. Speeding tickets and parking tickets are a main source of revenue in Hermosa Beach, so they'll haul you over for the slightest hint of an infraction.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
...Those speed enforced by aircraft signs I think are true. I've seen the Fairfax County Police helicopter circling I-66 on one occasion before, now I don't know if they were checking for speeders, but I've definitely seen their helicopter.

I seriously doubt that FCPD uses Fairfax One for speed enforcement....the expense would take all the profit out of it. According to their website, a Bell 407 costs about $600 an hour (in direct costs) to operate. Add indirect costs and it's probably close to a grand an hour. And that's the lighter civilian version.

Any speed enforcement from aircraft would likely be the State Police aboard relatively economical Cessna-type fixed wing aircraft...

Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,255,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I seriously doubt that FCPD uses Fairfax One for speed enforcement....the expense would take all the profit out of it. According to their website, a Bell 407 costs about $600 an hour (in direct costs) to operate. Add indirect costs and it's probably close to a grand an hour. And that's the lighter civilian version.

Any speed enforcement from aircraft would likely be the State Police aboard relatively economical Cessna-type fixed wing aircraft...
You are correct. Fairfax One has been used for things such as reckless driving complaints if they are already in the air and close by. They won't dispatch them to hunt down a reckless driver unless it's something very serious.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You are correct. Fairfax One has been used for things such as reckless driving complaints if they are already in the air and close by. They won't dispatch them to hunt down a reckless driver unless it's something very serious.

What surprised me was that only two FCPD officers actually fly Fairfax One....the rest are civilian pilots (mostly ex-military). I guess it doesn't matter, it's not like the pilots make arrests anyway. They are all a nice bunch of guys...I used to park my school bus at West Ox garage, which is also where Fairfax One is hangared. I've stopped in there and was made to feel welcome.

Apparently the insurance for medevac operations require 1000 hours flying time, making it too expensive to train officers to fly...hence the civilian pilots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia