Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That's just being more aggressive!
I think it is what you are "supposed" to do.
I have done it on highways when approaching slower traffic in the left lane.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-842.1

I think this is the appropriate law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,803 times
It's not just on the Parkway or main roads. This past month they have been in my neighborhood giving tickets to anyone who is speeding or not stopping all the way at stop signs. I try my best to drive safely because I always have my little ones, but it amazes me how they are everywhere these days. A few weeks ago I read that Loudoun County made an extra $2.1 million this year in traffic fines over last FY.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I empathize. Go to that Costco frequently, and the lane distinctions are confusing for the uninitiated. The striping should be improved. This would be a good subject to send to the Post's "Dr. Gridlock."
Thanks. He said I wasn't the only one, plenty of people were doing the same thing... no kidding. I'd understand if there was a sign noting that the lanes go from two to one, but there isn't. The lane distinctions just end. He even told me (nicely, I'll admit) to go look and see the sign for myself, and there isn't one...that's what gets me.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
This past month they have been in my neighborhood giving tickets to anyone who is speeding or not stopping all the way at stop signs.
If they are speeding or not stopping at stop signs, they probably should get a ticket.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,935,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
When was the last time the police pulled someone over for "hogging" the passing lane on Route 7 between the town...errr..."census designated place" of Reston and the town....errr...."census designated place" of Tyson's Corner? My commutes are always stressful anymore because people in front of me enjoy doing 40 in the left-hand lane in a 55 zone! People who think they are helping the police by crawling in the passing lane to "slow down traffic" are just as bad as those going 10-15 OVER the limit because they tend to increase driver aggression! This morning I was tailgating someone in the left-hand lane because I myself was being tailgated. Finally the guy behind me blew around both of us in the right-hand lane and cut off the slowpoke in front of me by mere inches.

Seriously, why can't people in NoVA learn the concept of "drive right, PASS left?!" I'm tiring of passing on the right all the time on Route 7!
I don't disagree, but here is something to consider. On the stretch you describe--and others similar in the area--one sometimes has to get into the left lane when possible to eventually make one of the left turns that are so numerous in this heavily commercialized area. If one waits too long, the opportunity in heavy traffic to move over in time could pass because (another peeve) many are obverse to letting drivers cut in politely, even when turn signals are flashing. This situation is exacerbated when the person wanting to make a left turn is not familiar with the area and is proceeding slowly to read road signs and street numbers at a distance. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,339,320 times
Quote:
It's not just on the Parkway or main roads. This past month they have been in my neighborhood giving tickets to anyone who is speeding or not stopping all the way at stop signs. I try my best to drive safely because I always have my little ones, but it amazes me how they are everywhere these days. A few weeks ago I read that Loudoun County made an extra $2.1 million this year in traffic fines over last FY.
The County really need to draw the line between enforcing the law and pissing off the everyday people. I forgot what that is called. I think we as a group can get some steam together, contact some news agencies and let us be heard.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
( With all due respect to the Police, and it's a tough job, I don't have the guts to that work. )

..Anyways, I got pulled over last night for making an illegal turn; my fault. When I come home in the late afternoons I usually pass about 10 marked cars on FFX County Parkway in speed traps, or they're hanging out on the various side streets, or standing on the shoulder with a speed gun.

I think there's just too many cops out on patrol on FFX County Parkway pulling people over coming home from work, minding their own business. It's like an infestation!!!! They should be out pulling over kids with illegal modifications and out of state tags. My last 4 tickets in 5 years have been "disregard traffic device" all in Fairfax County, which all were my fault.. and I dont even live in the County either!!

There's no room for driver error in Fairfax County!
4 tickets in five years? I think you have bigger problems the the UNFAIRfax County Police.

Fairfax has a $500 million budget shortfall. They got to make some $$ somehow. Instead of going after illegals who are the ones really stealing tax dollars from the county, they will go after the motorists and middle-class. Hopefully i wont be working in Fairfax County much longer and have to put up with them robbers called "Fairfax County Police Officers."

Alexandria City is doing the same thing with new red-light cameras (one i pass every day at Duke and S Walker). Alexandria diguses these revenue machines as safety devices. If you really wanted to make the intersection of S Walker and Duke safe, you would put more MARKED cop cars there to stop the illegal u-turns and the stopping in the mall flyover lane while the light is still green.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If they are speeding or not stopping at stop signs, they probably should get a ticket.
I don't disagree, but how many people go 25 miles or less in a neighborhood at all times and stop all the way at stop signs? Is that the best use of resources? I see people driving much worse on main roads.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
4 tickets in five years? I think you have bigger problems the the UNFAIRfax County Police.

Fairfax has a $500 million budget shortfall. They got to make some $$ somehow. Instead of going after illegals who are the ones really stealing tax dollars from the county, they will go after the motorists and middle-class. Hopefully i wont be working in Fairfax County much longer and have to put up with them robbers called "Fairfax County Police Officers."

Alexandria City is doing the same thing with new red-light cameras (one i pass every day at Duke and S Walker). Alexandria diguses these revenue machines as safety devices. If you really wanted to make the intersection of S Walker and Duke safe, you would put more MARKED cop cars there to stop the illegal u-turns and the stopping in the mall flyover lane while the light is still green.

Here's the Internal Affairs website, for anyone who needs it.
Internal Affairs*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but how many people go 25 miles or less in a neighborhood at all times and stop all the way at stop signs? Is that the best use of resources? I see people driving much worse on main roads.
Exactly correct. There's gang/drug activity in Schools, but we're the unlucky taxpaying citizens who foot the bill for failing to come to a complete stop at an intersection!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia