Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are parts of Alexandria or Arlington I showe avoid in finding a place to live. Please provide boundaries of area by street name.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM

40 posts, read 208,459 times
By "bad" I will assume that you are referring generally to crime. There are no areas of Alexandria or Arlington where I would consider it dangerous, but there are certainly some areas where crime is more prevalent. I am more familiar with Alexandria. Parker Gray, also called North Old Town, and in particular within the rectangle north of Pendleton, west of Columbus, south of Montgomery, and west of the tracks. Now, it isn't uniformly "bad" within those boundaries, and there have been some recent signs of improvement according to those who live there. I wouldn't write this area off, but be very aware of exactly what you are considering when looking at a place to live. An example is the Colecroft condos which are on the edge of this area on the tracks at Braddock Rd. They are nice, safe, and a quick hop to the Metro stop. There are also some blocks where many attractive homes have been renovated.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM

754 posts, read 1,738,830 times
notinnj hit the nail on the head with that area. I walk it multiple times a week to go to a boxing class on Pendleton/N. Henry and on one side there is some public housing and the other, town homes selling for $500K+. While I routinely walk late at night and early in the morning to the Eisenhower Metro and run in the evenings along Eisenhower/Duke/King street, I could not see myself doing the same right around the Braddock area. Just walking from the metro to N. Henry I have been harassed by a druggie woman looking for cash and lots of "men" hanging around the block I assume because they either (1) work odd hours or (2) don't work at all. I can't say I have felt my life was in danger but I have been in situations where I could see how a situation could go from an annoyance to dangerous quickly. If you are a single woman I would stick VERY close to the Braddock metro if you will do alot of walking to/from (like Colecroft) or consider something around the King street metro or Eisenhower metro.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Concur with Parker Gray descriptions. Also, Arlandria, an area on the boundary between Alexandria and Arlington, on Mt Vernon Ave, is a lower-income area that has more crime than typical for Alexandria.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,101 times
Hyba valley and the landmark area are pretty bad

Old 09-03-2018, 08:00 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It's all relative. In Arlington terms, well, you generally want a N in front of your street name. I don't think there's something like a real hood in Arlington but there's certainly some neighborhoods that have a bit of 'urban grit' (and they're generally south of Arlington Blvd).

Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofbmore View Post
Hyba valley and the landmark area are pretty bad
to clarify Hybla Valley has an Alexandria mailing address, but it is in Fairfax County.

Landmark area has a mix of income levels and housing types. It is not the most attractive area of the City, and its schools are not highly sought after, but you are unlikely to be a crime victim there, I think. I can say I ride my bike through the area often, with no particular fear of crime. There were some incidents on the Holmes Run Trail there a few years ago, but I don't think any recently.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:06 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
to clarify Hybla Valley has an Alexandria mailing address, but it is in Fairfax County.

Landmark area has a mix of income levels and housing types. It is not the most attractive area of the City, and its schools are not highly sought after, but you are unlikely to be a crime victim there, I think. I can say I ride my bike through the area often, with no particular fear of crime. There were some incidents on the Holmes Run Trail there a few years ago, but I don't think any recently.
I completely agree. The only thing I'll add is that crime in these areas is often confined to a couple of "problem" apartment complexes.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:10 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
It's amusing to see this thread resurrected after nearly 10 years. The comments made about Parker Gray in 2009 (while somewhat overblown even then IMO) don't hold up in 2018.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:42 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
The area around E. Reed Ave. and Rt. 1 in Alex. used to be pretty bad. Lots of crime and drug activity. Maybe not as bad now. Shirlington Rd. in South Arlington up the hill from the Weenie Beenie used to be a little rough. But last time I was up that way I saw a lot of pricey looking new town houses so it looks that gentrification is changing that neighborhood. The public housing project in north Old Town known as the "Berg" has had some problems through the years. A cop was shot and killed there quite a few years back. That's all that I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia