Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM

352 posts, read 1,594,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
My comment about the extra commuting cost got me thinking about running a few calculations. Considering the difference between living in Manassas (about 20 miles from work) versus Reston (about 5 miles from work), the 15 extra miles twice a day for five work days and 50 work weeks totals 7,500 miles per year. If you consider only the cost of gas at $2.50 per gallon that would work out to be an extra $78/month. If you consider the governments car rate of $0.55 that would be an extra $344/month. Alternatively if you consider the rate that AAA indicates for a small sedan driving 20K miles/year of $0.374 that would be an extra $233/month. I think these calculations make an excellent point to decrease the distance between home and work even if you have to pay a little more in rent cost.

Here is the link for the AAA cost per mile.
AAA Exchange (http://www.aaapublicaffairs.com/Main/Default.asp?CategoryID=3&SubCategoryID=9&ContentID =23 - broken link)
I disagree. Your $78 figure is the only one that's really accurate since folks have and maintain cars regardless of the distance of their commute - and the rent in Manassas is substantially cheaper than $78/mo over Reston. That's not to say that the convenience of Reston doesn't have its own merits, or that folks' time is worth money (not calculated above), but to say that your gas costs are going to even come close to wipe out the difference in Manassas/Reston rent is wishful thinking.

To wit - Archstone Landing in Reston is about $1370 for a 1BR. A good equivalent in Manassas is Ravens Crest, which is running about $900 for the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 51,022 times
Check out Skyline Towers

Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM

4,474 posts, read 8,170,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTuner View Post
Yes. Right now I spend about 252/mo on full coverage insurance (brand new car coupled with being a single 22 year old male). Taking it from being used for commute to being used for pleasure takes about $100 off the cost of insurance.
Dang, your insuarance is really high! What kind of car do you have? When I was 23, I had a brand new SUV (MSRP 35k) and was only paying about $85 a month for full coverage with State Farm. I'm 29 now, truck has been paid off but still have full coverage and it's approximately $73 a month for it, $25 a month for a beater pickup and $30 for a motorcycle. I've got some discounts since my house and other vehicles are also with SF though...

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,736,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Dang, your insuarance is really high! What kind of car do you have? When I was 23, I had a brand new SUV (MSRP 35k) and was only paying about $85 a month for full coverage with State Farm. I'm 29 now, truck has been paid off but still have full coverage and it's approximately $73 a month for it, $25 a month for a beater pickup and $30 for a motorcycle. I've got some discounts since my house and other vehicles are also with SF though...

^^ Same here. I'm 24 and I think I pay about $50/mo in insurance (liability only) on my Hyundai....in DC. It was a little cheaper in Virginia. I'm only not completely sure because I just pay it all at once every 6 months (about $280, so it would actually be less than $50). $252/mo is like paying Philly car insurance!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM

257 posts, read 566,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
But to be fair to ScranBarre, he's paying a *lot* more in rent than most people do their first year out of college. I'm not deriding his choice - his to make - but if he was in a roommate situation he'd be spending a lot less on rent and he would have more wiggle room in his budget.
That is quite true... but then how does one define "struggling"? Is there some minimal living standard that one has to meet with some comfort to not be struggling? (Ie, if one moves back in with his parents to skip paying rent, can he legitimately claim he's not struggling?) If one's budget is tight enough such that he can't make his retirement contributions, save for an emergency, or save for anything, by definition he is living paycheck to paycheck. To me, that's pretty tight.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM

309 posts, read 830,121 times
I work for a gov't contractor in No VA and that salary strikes me as extremely low although I don't know your experience/education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: