Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 AM

66 posts, read 199,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTuner View Post
Back on topic. I do have a car payment of $350/month, so that is a good chunk of money there.I currently live in an apartment that costs $450/month, and get by fine on a slary of $38,000 so according to calculations I will be making approximately $1000 more a month after taxes, meaning if all other costs stayed the same, I could afford $1450 on rent. I think bumping up to $1200 is reasonable and leaves me an extra $200 a month to live on. Yes, I will have to cut back my lifestyle a bit as living here in STL on $38,000 I can afford, and love to buy, things many other semi-single (we have been dating for 4 years, but live separate) people in this area cannot.
What about food, gas, insurance? Just a few essentials you should probably add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,251,801 times
KTuner:

Check out this post I just made on another thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/10369251-post14.html

My information is problaby not of interest to those considering apartments as I have a SFH.
What is the sqFt of where you live? 3600
What is the total cost of electric, gas, water, etc? All electric house with annualized monthly at $180. Water $90/quarter (we have a lawn to water)
How many people live in your place? 2

Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 32,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
What about food, gas, insurance? Just a few essentials you should probably add.

I am figuring those separate from hosing. My food cost can only go down as I eat out just about every night here. Gas will stay about the same if not go down as I will not being driving from one side of STL to the other daily, and depending on where I live, insurance will be factored in. If i find a place close enough to walk to work, i will save about 150/month on car insurance as the car will then be classified as a "pleasure" vehicle rather than "commute" vehicle.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 AM

257 posts, read 566,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTuner View Post
I am figuring those separate from hosing. My food cost can only go down as I eat out just about every night here.
FWIW, outside of the lunches I buy at work, my grocery bill for two is about $100/wk for the "non-ramen" but not luxury diet.

Quote:
If i find a place close enough to walk to work, i will save about 150/month on car insurance as the car will then be classified as a "pleasure" vehicle rather than "commute" vehicle.
Have you gotten quotes on that? How much are you spending as it is? I pay $80/mo for liability only on two cars.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 32,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
FWIW, outside of the lunches I buy at work, my grocery bill for two is about $100/wk for the "non-ramen" but not luxury diet.

Have you gotten quotes on that? How much are you spending as it is? I pay $80/mo for liability only on two cars.
Yes. Right now I spend about 252/mo on full coverage insurance (brand new car coupled with being a single 22 year old male). Taking it from being used for commute to being used for pleasure takes about $100 off the cost of insurance.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM

63 posts, read 220,539 times
I would go with Sterling, if I were you. Stay away from Sterling Park. But Sterling is nice for young couples who don't want to party much and who do enjoy to go out every now and then. It is quiet in most areas except near the airport, then you might hear the planes at night and that might not appeal to you. Don't go closer to DC, the commute is bad either way. Don't go to Manassas or Centreville, you'll be driving north on 28 going to work and it is bad in the morning. I think you can afford Reston, while it is nicer too, it is a bit pricier. Good luck

Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM

313 posts, read 552,259 times
OP, i am pretty much your twin when I moved over here in terms of our situation.

here's what I came up with for monthly expenses

100 - phone
150 - utilities (condo pays for my water)
120 - (I moved here not knowing anybody, damn it if I'm not going with DVR and FiOS)
300 - student loans
500 - food (highly suggest you don't eat out every night...an oven is a beautiful thing, thing is I like to cook so I end up paying a lot for food anyway )
100 - Car Insurance (i'm lucky to have my car paid off)

of course, adjust according to your preferences...but you should end up somewhere around 1300 total if you're anything like me, i'm currently paying 1275 for rent in Reston so that leaves me about 300 savings/entertainment, (most likely, 300 dollars entertainment )

btw, ur not privy to the personal property tax if your employer doesn't reimburse you for the miles you commute to your work site each day correct? or am I misinterpreting the rules here, panel?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Here's my current budget:

Net Monthly Pay: $2,250
Less: Rent - $1,135
Less: Utilities (Including Fios High-Speed Internet/High-Def. Cable) - $200
Less: Car Insurance - $150
Less: Car Payment - $222
Less: Groceries - $250
Less: Gasoline - $100
Less: Church Offerings - $80
Add: $250 Monthly Check From Parents (Parents forced me to buy a new car in order to replace my clunker when I moved, so after negotiating we finally decided I'd pay the down payment, and they'd cover the first year's payments until I was earning a "decent" salary in 2010)
Net Monthly "Wiggle Room" - $363 (I'm sure I'm missing a few expenditures here because in the end I normally "break even" every month).
When my student loans kick in at the end of 2009, that additonal roughly $200/month payment will have me cutting it VERY close, but I'll still manage. I was smart enough to have worked full-time through college to save a small nest egg for a tough first year in an area with over-inflated rent prices.

Apartment Complex: Archstone Charter Oak
Square Footage : 960
Size: 1-BR, 1-BA, Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, Patio
Monthly Rent: $1,135
Monthly Price Per Square Foot: $1.18

Am I living "lavishly" on my $41,210 salary? No. Am I "struggling?" No. I, too, find it hillarious that some on this forum think you're "slumming it" if you're earning a sub-$50k salary, especially considering many of today's college graduates are NOT earning anywhere near $50,000! I clip coupons, shop at dollar stores, dine out/go to movies sparingly, conserve utilities, etc. with the knowledge that I'll be earning around $50,000 in 2010.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM

257 posts, read 566,306 times
ScranBarre,

If you weren't struggling, you wouldn't be accepting money from your parents, no?

Take away their $250 payment each month, add that extra $200 in student loan payments, and then here's what I see:

No money for vacations.
No money for emergencies (car repair bill, etc.)
No money for retirement.

So I would say you are living very tight, if not struggling.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,051 times
That made me do a double-take for a minute, too. I'm not struggling but my parents are paying for my car. Heh.

But to be fair to ScranBarre, he's paying a *lot* more in rent than most people do their first year out of college. I'm not deriding his choice - his to make - but if he was in a roommate situation he'd be spending a lot less on rent and he would have more wiggle room in his budget.

Point is, I think a person can live decently on his salary here. Not in the lap of luxury, but well enough. Especially for a very young 20-something. I wouldn't agree if ScranBarre was 45, or if he had a couple of kids, but in his situation it seems fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: