Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginians, this will be a great argument for waiting a couple of seconds after the light turns green to go.

This morning i went out to get some breakfast and fill up my car. I stop at the light on at S Whiting St to turn left on Stevenson Ave. An Alexandria Sheriff's deputy pulls up behind me. My light turns green, I wait a couple of seconds to go when out of nowhere a blue Chevy sedan blows through the red light on Stevenson. Thanks be to God, the deputy behind me turns on his siren and lights and goes after the OBVIOUS red light runner.

If I went right when the green light flashed, I probably would probably have been T-boned in my left door and be on my way to the ER now. I got a red light ticket a couple of years ago and had to go to drivers ed. My teacher there said it aint a bad idea to wait a couple of seconds and look left and right when a light turns green. Thankfully, I followed that advice today and saved a lot to pain to myself and my wallet.

If you Northern Virginians, want to get mad because i wait two seconds to go after the light is green, go to with yourselves. With the reckless drivers here, I'll take this precaution because i cant afford an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
This isn't only in NOVA, as a habit both hubby and I wait a few seconds before going when the light turns green since you never know.

We both also wait and make sure the person with their turn signal on really turns, so I am with you if people want to get mad because I don't go as soon as the light turns green, oh well. Glad to hear you are okay and not on the way to the ER.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,367 times
Agreed. And don't forget what your mother taught you when walking: look both ways before crossing the street. This can save your life when driving, too. Sure, you have the green light, but who knows what some idiot going the other way might do. I've seen it.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 AM

207 posts, read 752,367 times
This happened almost daily when I lived in New Mexico. (red light runners) I have always paused when turning left myself. Overall I find drivers here much LESS aggressive than in other parts of the US.

Glad you are OK!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I always do the same, look both ways before going on green. Too many drivers think "green means go, yellow means go like hell to beat the light".

Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwc07 View Post
This happened almost daily when I lived in New Mexico. (red light runners) I have always paused when turning left myself. Overall I find drivers here much LESS aggressive than in other parts of the US.

Glad you are OK!

Oh the New Mexico drivers. They are either driving to fast or the old folks driving to slow.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
That's one reason why I hate backseat drivers who always say, "it's green", like I can't see all the other cars around me go when the light changes.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 AM

184 posts, read 491,411 times
I had a friend in high school who didn't pause when his light turned green, and someone ran the red. My friend was in a coma for weeks and still isn't the same almost 10 years later. Since then, I always pause when a light turns green, and I'm glad you did too.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,502 times
I've had a close call like that as well but at that point I was not in the habit of pausing. Something that day though told me not to go and I just didn't, I have no idea why, and sure enough somebody blew through the light at 50+ mph. Glad you're okay.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

137 posts, read 367,064 times
I had a friend in Reston get t-boned by a guy running a red. My friend actually had a green as she was approaching the intersection, so she wasn't even starting from a stop. The guy who hit her just barrelled through his red light and smack into the side of her. She and her husband soon sold their cars and moved to NYC. I think she is still pretty uncomfortable just riding in a car and generally avoids it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia