Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,128 times

Advertisements

I've seen news reports where people are angry that Ted is jumping the line ahead of dead soldiers for burial at Arlington Cemetery when he never served in the military.

Here's another interesting article about Ted's attempt to reconcile with the Catholic Church despite his liberal (pro abortion, pro gay marriage, stem cell research, etc.) political views. I found it interesting to read that he had Obama pass along a sealed letter to the Pope.

"Here in Rome Ted Kennedy is nobody. He's a legend with his own constituency," says the Vatican official. "If he had influence in the past it was only with the Archdiocese of Boston and that eventually disappeared too." Some say the final sunset on the Kennedy name within Catholic halls of power was the Vatican's decision in 2007 to overturn the annulment of the first marriage of former U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy, the eldest son of Robert Kennedy. The successful appeal by Joe Kennedy's ex-wife Sheila Rauch, an Episcopalian, was another blow for the Kennedy image in Catholic circles."

After Kennedy's Death: Silence from the Pope - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090827/wl_time/08599191906400 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
I believe he's eligible for burial as a member of a former President's family. Same reason RFK is there.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Ted Kennedy enlisted in the US Army in 1951 and served until 1953. This, plus the fact that he was an elected official in the US government, earns him a place at Arlington.

Arlington National Cemetery:: Funeral Information

Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
And Robert Kennedy served in the US Navy. It seems "news reports" ought to do a little research.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Here's the extent of Ted's military service as reported on Wiki:

"Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army in June 1951.[8] Following basic training at Fort Dix, he requested assignment to Fort Holabird for Army Intelligence training, but was dropped after a few weeks without explanation.[8] He went to Camp Gordon for training in the Military Police Corps.[8] In June 1952, he was assigned to the honor guard at SHAPE headquarters in Paris.[1][8] His father's political connections ensured he was not deployed to the ongoing Korean War.[1][9] While stationed in Europe he travelled extensively on weekends and climbed the Matterhorn.[10] He was discharged in March 1953 as a private first class.[8][10]"

Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Here's the extent of Ted's military service as reported on Wiki:

"Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army in June 1951.[8] Following basic training at Fort Dix, he requested assignment to Fort Holabird for Army Intelligence training, but was dropped after a few weeks without explanation.[8] He went to Camp Gordon for training in the Military Police Corps.[8] In June 1952, he was assigned to the honor guard at SHAPE headquarters in Paris.[1][8] His father's political connections ensured he was not deployed to the ongoing Korean War.[1][9] While stationed in Europe he travelled extensively on weekends and climbed the Matterhorn.[10] He was discharged in March 1953 as a private first class.[8][10]"
Great job on the citations! It's refreshing to see someone on City-Data actually reinforce their assertions with sources for a change of pace instead of just knee-jerk reaction and conjecture.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:34 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Great job on the citations! It's refreshing to see someone on City-Data actually reinforce their assertions with sources for a change of pace instead of just knee-jerk reaction and conjecture.
It's a cut-and-paste from Wikipedia, so if thanks are due, you need to be thanking someone other than the City-Data poster, unless he personally updated the Wiki entry.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's a cut-and-paste from Wikipedia, so if thanks are due, you need to be thanking someone other than the City-Data poster, unless he personally updated the Wiki entry.
You never know. He very well could have. I'm not old enough to be strongly opinionated about the life of Sen. Kennedy one way or the other. I do know that Ms. Mary Jo Kopechne was a native of the same county that I grew up in in Pennsylvania though. I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal (an anomaly in NoVA, no?), and regardless of how I may have felt personally about some of the recently-belated Sen. Kennedy's political contributions (or lack thereof) shouldn't some have more respect for the dead? There's a major multi-page flame war thread about Sen. Kennedy that erupted on the NEPA sub-forum as well that was just closed.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
LOL!

I was thanked for posting data that I found on the net. Then you felt the urge to make a post against someone thanking me for providing the information that I CLEARLY said came from Wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Here's the extent of Ted's military service as reported on Wiki
LOL!!!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
No problem! My pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia