Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,955 times

Advertisements

Falls Church ranks 180 out of 319 Virginia public schools in terms of SOL standardized test scores. So it's in the middle of the pack, which is fine. There are gangs, but gangs are present in most Northern Virginia schools to varying degrees and it's nothing to be alarmed about. If a student is self-motivated, and takes advanced classes, he or she would not get mixed up with the "wrong crowd."

Before you reject the IB program at Stuart, do a little research--perhaps contact the IB coordinator at the school, and talk to parents with kids in IB.

Find out from Ffx Cnty Schools what your transfer options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,100,122 times
This is the main policy on out-of-boundary placements:

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfa...FILE/R2230.pdf

I think that, if you just contact FCPS, they would point you to this policy and/or suggest that the main alternative to Stuart (IB) is Falls Church (AP).

The policy seems to be more flexible, though, if you decide it's something you need to pursue and for whatever reason don't think Stuart or Falls Church are good fits. I think Denton56 is right that FCPS tends to accommodate parents and guardians eventually who don't take the first no for a final answer.

Public transportation is not provided to out-of-boundary students who pupil place.

I saw the post that noted that there were a comparatively large number of "reported incidents" at Stuart. I think one would have to assume that the reported incidents did, in fact, occur, but I've also heard that some schools under-report such incidents while others tend toward a "zero tolerance" approach and report everything.

I also think Irvine again has some good points - but it's sometimes difficult for folks who are the types who would thrive in a wide variety of educational environments and are the least susceptible to gangs or other negative influences (which exist at places like Langley, too) to recognize that others might get pulled in the wrong direction.

Good luck.

Last edited by JD984; 09-12-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The information in this presentation indicates that, last year, there were more students transferring into Stuart (IB) from neighboring Falls Church (AP) and Annandale (IB), than transferring out of Stuart to those schools:

http://fairfaxcaps.org/pdf/FfxCAPS_I...2009_01_14.pdf

Alanboy - in your experience, what does it mean to say that a local schools has a "gang issue"? Is it mostly an issue of students from different gangs getting into fights on school property?

It does seem to me that, if a school draws from a neighborhood where there are local gangs and the school does a reasonably good job of instilling discipline on the school grounds, the school itself shouldn't be deemed to have a "gang problem" - in fact, the school may be considered the community safe haven. In those schools, the students who have the right support outside of the school environment won't have a problem.
What I mean is that gangs are present in nearly every school in Northern VA. It's more that they are there and to a degree seek other bad kids to join. Most often most of their violent activities are done off campus.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What I mean is that gangs are present in nearly every school in Northern VA. It's more that they are there and to a degree seek other bad kids to join. Most often most of their violent activities are done off campus.
Well said.

For some historical perspective:
In Northern Virginia, back before there were "gangs" there were "hoods" of neighborhood "bad kids" back in the 50s and 60s. Kids would get roughed up for lunch money or for simply walking into the "wrong neighborhood." But usually the "straight" kids and the wealthy kids were left alone and "hoods" would fight other "hoods."

Most modern Northern Virginia gangs are based on ethnicity, and they began in the 1970s with the influx of Vietnamese immigrants. And yes, as Alanboy395 said, most often any violent or illegal activities take place away from campus.

I believe gang activity has actually decreased in many areas. Hotbeds of 90s gang activity like Baileys/Culmore or Takoma/Langley Park have been cleaned up of much (but not all) gang activity.

Last edited by irvine; 09-12-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,137 times
Are there any gangs at TJ?

And no, please do not say "the goth chess team."

Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post

And no, please do not say "the goth chess team."
Goth fashion thankfully mostly died a few years ago, along with the decline of industrial music and the rise of post-punk, post-hardcore, emocore, and metalcore music and fashion.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,728,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
If the transfer is approved- would my relatives have to drive him or would there be a school bus?
Pupil placed students have to provide their own transportation, so your relatives would have to drive him.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM

264 posts, read 855,437 times
Thanks everyone- I think we will stick to Stuart since the driving the child to school would be too much for his grandparents who will be legal guardians. I just hope this kid doesn't get into gangs since he does have that wanting to fit in attitude- very eager to please- lost his parents and really has lead a nomad life.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
Thanks everyone- I think we will stick to Stuart since the driving the child to school would be too much for his grandparents who will be legal guardians. I just hope this kid doesn't get into gangs since he does have that wanting to fit in attitude- very eager to please- lost his parents and really has lead a nomad life.
Perhaps contact his guidance counselor and get to know his teachers... make sure he is placed in all the appropriately challenging classes. Also encourage him to join clubs, extra-curricular activities, and sports. Because JEB Stuart is a small school, many sports have few cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia