Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:20 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to NOVA from Raleigh, NC. Reasons are many, but mainly we want to be closer to a major city and closer to family back in NJ.
Here are a few of our criteria:

1. We have three kids under the age of 10, so good schools are a priority.
2. Since I work from home, commute in a non issue, but would like to be close to an airport.
3. We could spend more, but would like to keep a home under $700,000.
4. If possible, find a place that has a sense of community.

Lastly, we don't want to feel like we are living so far out of the district that it becomes a hassle to visit.

Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
My community, Brambleton, might work for you. We are a few miles from Dulles Airport, good Loudoun County schools, homes in your price range (current resale listings (http://www.ilovethishome.com/Resales.html - broken link) | new construction quick deliveries (http://quickdelivery.brambleton.com/ - broken link)), a wonderful sense of community. The only thing that might be problematic is the distance from DC. We do go to DC to visit friends, attend Georgetown basketball games, and go to museums and attractions. On a weekend, it takes about 30-40 minutes to drive from my house to the Verizon Center, depending on what else is going on. We think it's manageable, but that might not be close enough for you. (Plus, we've got the best Air and Space Museum right down the road from us!)

Here's a recent photo tour of Brambleton that I did.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM

216 posts, read 632,985 times
I would recommend Vienna. Good schools, access to metro, reasonably convenient to Dulles airport.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,329 times
With a budget of up to 700K, really all of NoVA is open to you.

Vienna, Falls Church, Oakton, North Arlington...all of these places would fit your criteria. What kind of house are you looking for? The housing stock in Arlington and Falls Church tends to be older, though most homes in your price range would be updated.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Thanks for all of the responses.

Regarding homes, we are fine with older homes. I work from home, so I would need space for an office.

Which of these locations have the best schools and community involvement?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
Reston would satisfy your criteria nicely. It is close to Dulles Airport (I'm a $20 cab ride away). It is just far enough away from DC to be able to get a nice home in your price range but not too far to take in all the activities of DC on a regular basis (I commuted daily to DC for 5 years in 45 minutes during rush hour using the HOV). Fairfax Schools rank among the best in the country (America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com). Reston has a great sense of community and lots of activities for kids.

Here are some photos I took this past weekend
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...uth-lakes.html

Information on Reston
Welcome to Reston Association!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,290 times
I vote for Ashburn. It has great schools and lots of community activities. There are a lot of people around during the day-either working from home or stay at home parents (we have 2 stay at home dads in the neighborhood). It's close to Dulles airport. You could get an incredible house for $700k and a very, very nice house for mid-$500k.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,079,075 times
Actually, almost all the towns near the airport would fit your description. With the possible exception of Centreville/Chantilly (not that much a sense of community there as in other areas).

I live in Herndon and love it. I work in Lowes Island, and that's another community that fits your description. Reston's great too.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,329 times
I would definitely agree about the merits of Ashburn and Brambleton for the OP's situation...except that I kind of think getting to DC is a "hassle" from those locations. I guess it depends on a person's definition of "hassle," though, and how important the DC factor really is to the OP.

But Ashburn to DC is a good 45 minutes by car without heavy traffic. And there's often heavy traffic. IMO, I wouldn't go any further than Reston if I wanted (relatively) "hassle-free" trips to DC. But that is really an indivudal preference thing, and you do get a ton of house for your money out in Ashburn. And those areas do have great community spirit.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
If you want each child to have his/her own room, plus room for an office, you'll need five bedrooms. Many of the homes under $700K in close-in areas such as Vienna, Falls Church, or Arlington won't have that many bedrooms, nor would many of them have a suitable non-bedroom office space unless they were recently updated.
Since you aren't commuting to DC, it makes little sense to pay the premium to live close in. You'll get much more house for your money further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia