Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM

28 posts, read 85,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL Of course, there's a big difference between forever... and forever in a blizzard!
and an even bigger difference between that and forever in a blizzard with a woman in labor!!! LOL that must've felt like eternity, yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

27 posts, read 75,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjel View Post
and an even bigger difference between that and forever in a blizzard with a woman in labor!!! LOL that must've felt like eternity, yikes!

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm glad you made it in time!

That blizzard seemingly brought some bad luck with it... for me and mine, at least. My Gramps died the day before it hit. Then literally hours before the snow started, my 5 yr old son broke his elbow badly, requiring surgery and pins...this occuring directly following my daughter's second birthday party! I will never forget that evening in that packed ER. The snow started coming down in a fury...my poor son was terrified and in pain, I was weepy, my little birthday girl standing there in her party dress, tired and cranky, and my poor husband trying to keep everyone calm and comforted! My mom braved the driving snow to take our daughter home for us and tuck her in bed. What a night!
Oh, and I didn't make it to Boston for my Gramps' funeral..the airports remained closed for days.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,626,969 times
Usually wet, slushy, and rather infrequent in large amounts. There will be plenty of dustings and 1-3" snows but storms that dump 6"+ seem to be rare. I've been here since 2005 and I seem to remember an 8-10" snow in February of 2006 but other than that it's been rather tame. Mike from NIU is correct though location is everything. A storm might come through and only put down an inch or two in Arlington or DC but dump 6 inches in places an hour or so East or West of town.

I love snow for skiing purposes and loved it growing up but I honeslty DREAD when it snows very much anytime during the work week here. And when I say "very much" I mean more than an inch or so. Traffic is terrible to begin with here, even worse when it rains, and beyond insane when it snows. I've spent hours trying to get home in the evenings before if it started snowing before rush hour.

On the weekends it's another story. I love walking around the Mall seeing all of the monuments in the snow.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,122,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
On the weekends it's another story. I love walking around the Mall seeing all of the monuments in the snow.
...and out in the suburbs we enjoy walking around the mall on a snowy day, too!

Seriously, Dulles Town Center or Tysons Mall are the places to be when the weather's bad. DTC has a airplane themed playground on the second floor, next to a store that sells really good coffee for $1. Parents come from all over, it's a great place for the kids to play (and for moms to hang out). And all the seniors come too, you can see them "mall walking" to get exercise when it gets to icy to walk on the sidewalks.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,981,297 times
They're predicting snow for Saturday....

Of course, weather predictions here are notoriously fickle so it may not happen. IMO the weatherman has the best job in the world. He can be wrong every day, and as long as he tells jokes about it he'll still get a raise.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Looking pretty certain now that we'll have snow on Saturday.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,624,289 times
Quote:
Looking pretty certain now that we'll have snow on Saturday.
But how much? I have a question for Nova residents. If you have a 25 mile commute (Herndon to Gainesville) How much does it have to snow in order to "Call in" to work!?? Hehe you know I am just looking out for my safety!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
But how much? I have a question for Nova residents. If you have a 25 mile commute (Herndon to Gainesville) How much does it have to snow in order to "Call in" to work!?? Hehe you know I am just looking out for my safety!!!!
A lot of workplaces base it on what the schools decide. If the schools in your county close, you can take a snow day too. (I'd check with your boss to amke sure he agrees, though.)

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,624,289 times
Quote:
A lot of workplaces base it on what the schools decide. If the schools in your county close, you can take a snow day too. (I'd check with your boss to amke sure he agrees, though.)
I work retail management so I doubt that to be true! LOL not to mention this is a "weekend" storm we are expecting. Thanks tho! I have heard of that before for office folks

Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM

32,622 posts, read 77,712,896 times
I just saw a weather map on the web site for the Weather Channel that is putting Reston in the 3-6 inches range! WOOOOO!!! I'm going to make a snowman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia