Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood419 View Post
Nice try, blu_monk. Anything constructive you can add?
yeah, speeding = reckless driving ticket = misdemeanor = criminal = loss of privileges

get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 PM

139 posts, read 292,919 times
Sorry OP, but reckless driving in VA and most states is 20+ the speed limit. If others are being a....oles, just do a mere 65 and live with it. (I know it's hard to have to go that slow on a DC area road because it usually goes so much faster.) Also, don't be a moron and look for advice on a mesage board. (Tip, the advice from the CA poster doesn't apply. States have their own laws.) Hire a lawyer, or just pay the fine that you rightfully deserve. And, oh, STOP BEING A RECKLESS DRIVER.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,404 times
Still debating whether or not to retain counsel on this one. Some say "Yes" some say "No". If anyone can relate personal experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 PM

318 posts, read 466,969 times
See my previous post, re: personal experience. I managed a law office for quite a while in Fairfax, and I've seen a lot. Sorry, no stories for you. A Reckless driving charge is not a joke nor something to be taken lightly here. When is your court date? You are wasting valuable time here! DUH!! Make a decision and to either A) hire a lawyer & let him/her get to work for you so you have a chance for the best possible outcome or B) obsess about it and follow the advice from a message board. Most attorneys give free consultations! Make some phone calls & get some appointments & then you will know!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Still debating whether or not to retain counsel on this one. Some say "Yes" some say "No". If anyone can relate personal experiences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
This advice comes from over 30 years in LE in NoVA but not in the jurisdiction where you were. If it were me I would not hire an attorney unless I was planning on fighting the charge. You have the right to a continuance to get one if you follow my advice and it doesn't work for you. If you were in my county I could guarantee this would work and I'd almost be willing to bet it will work the same where you are.

Go to court and look for the commonwealth attorney handling your court. Ask a on duty Deputy for help on their location. You can also talk to the officer or trooper who wrote the ticket. If you have a good or decent record then ask for a reduction to speeding or improper driving. Be bold and ask for 64/55 but be prepared to accept 74/55. If you have a bad record with lots of speeding or moving violations then this may have no chance of working.

The prosecutors are looking to make deals and even the officers want to get the heck out of court. If you hire an attorney and he was looking to deal for you then this is pretty much what he would get for you.

You are not going to jail or looking at a suspended license unless you have a terrible record.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Good for you! back in 2001 things might have been different... plus an out of state license, even better. If you plan to plead guilty, and are not stressed, of course you don't need an attorney! Duh!!!!!!!
I won't cite all of the situations I have seen... good & bad, but as I said an attorney greatly increases your chance for a positive outcome. If you already have a bunch of points and are on the verge of losing your license, spending the $500 for a lawyer would be worth it. Or if you need a clean record for you job, then yes, a no brainer. Or if you are so stressed out about it that you have to post about it here on a forum & ask anonymous strangers... maybe hire a lawyer & turn over the problem to him!
Well, I'd say that IF you get an attorney, you are virtually guaranteed to do better than just pleading guilty and getting completely hosed. The attorney "brotherhood" includes everyone in that courtroom that matters: the judge, prosecutor and your attorney. They take care of each other because there is money to be made. Just to give the VA bar some credit, at least the money doesn't directly change hands like it does in some other parts of the country.

But, if you have a clean record, getting an attorney will make no difference. Remember, the purpose of the law is to make money, so enforcing it unreasonably could lead to its repeal.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Quote:

Thanks.
The point the "no" people are trying to make is that you have nothing to lose by going and seeing if you can get it lowered on your own. Traffic court is all about deals, as Bigfoot just pointed out. It's about money, not nailing some guy with a clean record who did 22 over. If for some insane reason the prosecutor or officer won't drop the reckless, go before the judge and request a continuance so you can obtain counsel...it is your right.

If you go out and get an attorney right away you will 100% get the reckless dropped, but at the cost of several hundred $$$.

My personal experience, having been to traffic court a couple times, is that anyone with a clean record got the ticket dropped to a non-reckless speed. People that were WAY over (like 95 in a 55) smartly had lawyers who also got the reckless dropped. This is why I stated what I did earlier -- a clean record with barely in reckless territory -- it'll get dropped with no need a lawyer, but if you did something really dumb or where like 35 over, you'd need a lawyer for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia