Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

We drove by a sign for the Sunset Hills Winery today and on a whim decided to take a look. What a find!

First of all, the property is straight out ofa painting. Rolling hills, people riding horses, a classic car, and picturesque farm buildings. What a great place to spend an autumn afternoon. We wandered around outside for awhile, and then moseyed up to the mahogany bar centered in a restored barn. Let me tell you, the remodel they did on this building is stunning. We also spent some time out on the deck enjoying some lovely mountain views.

How did I not know this place existed? I was not expecting such an elegant tasting room. Nor was I expecting the crowds. It seemed like half of Virginia was there (it was a fun crowd, at the same time a little too many people for my taste).

Which leads me to the point of this thread. I guess I need to start checking out a few more of the local wineries. I've been to Breaux, Swedenbourg, and Tarara -- all of which I enjoy -- but now that I stumbled onto this little gem I want to hear about some of the other places out there.

So let's start a winery review thread!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Ok, I give. Where is it?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Ok, I give. Where is it?
It's out in Purcellville: Sunset Hills Vineyard, LLC

It appears to have been open for about a year.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
How much were the tasting fees at Sunset Hills? Did it seem like a place where children are welcome?

We visited Naked Mountain Winery about a month ago, after apple picking.
Virginia Wine Tasting & Tours at Naked Mountain Vineyard & Winery
We inquired before we brought everyone in if it was ok to bring kids in (I know some wineries don't allow it) and they said it was fine. It was very nice, we were able to sit our kids down at a nearby table with some sodas (big treat for them! ) and Dh and I were able to enjoy a wine tasting. They had some nice grounds and next spring we'd like to go again and bring a picnic or something. They also mentioned that during the winter months on weekends, they do dinners (lasagna). I can't remember the specific details she gave me, but it sounded like something we might do.

Great thread! I actually need to buy a "thank you gift" for someone out of state and was thinking a nice Virginia wine would be good. I look forward to trying some of the local wineries to determine which will be the best one to send

Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
This place also looks interesting: http://sharprockvineyards.com

I love that their "wine dogs" often great you in the parking lot and that they have overnight accommodations for both couples and families.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 PM

80 posts, read 238,048 times
Bluemont Winery....has the absolute best view.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
Chrysalis Winery is nice, good tasting room, most of the reds are only fair, but they've got a couple of very nice white wines, especially the Vigonier.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysons2008 View Post
Bluemont Winery....has the absolute best view.
Was there yesterday at sunset (happened to be across the street at Great County Farms). WOW is all I can say....just gorgeous! I got some nice sunset pictures too.

I'm dying to go to the wineries but have kids I'm almost always saddled with but I'd told some of them are more kid friendly than others. Any suggestions for 7 yr old tagalongs?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Was there yesterday at sunset (happened to be across the street at Great County Farms). WOW is all I can say....just gorgeous! I got some nice sunset pictures too.

I'm dying to go to the wineries but have kids I'm almost always saddled with but I'd told some of them are more kid friendly than others. Any suggestions for 7 yr old tagalongs?
I know Chrysalis specifically states on their website NO to kids...Naked Mountain, which we visited about a month ago, was fine for kids.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Doukenie Winery is my personal favorite. Doukenie Winery:
The wines are good to excellent. $5 lets you taste 9 wines, and there isn't an average one on the list. I also like the ambiance. This is a smaller, cozier winery (something I prefer, I'm not a fan of the places that draw big crowds).

You can sip on a glass of chardonnay while petting horses, or, if you prefer, while sitting on a deck relaxing by the pond. The family grandma makes delicious baklava, and they'll give you some for free. They even have a very mellow, happy dog roaming the tasting room to make sure that you're enjoying your visit.

A day like today would have been perfect for Doukenie. I'm enjoying my vacation, but to tell the truth I'm starting to get bored and homesick for Nova. You guys had incredible weather today. Wish I had been there to enjoy it... I can see myself sitting on the deck at Doukenie today, sipping chardonnay and thinking life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia