Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,315 times

Advertisements

hahah i feel like i might get a whole slew of angry comments from that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 AM

I myself are new to the area (that's bad grammar, isn't it?) I just moved here from NY, so to me, this weather is downright balmy! a single snowfall, and its already 90% melted, and the temps are in the mid 40s again! its great haha

but as far as this Pittsburgh vs. Nova thing, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Nova is just the suburbs of DC, and i'm sure Pittsburgh has suburbs too. So a more fair comparison would be DC vs. Pittsburgh

Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 PM

274 posts, read 709,030 times
lol, it was just a little poke!

I mistakenly listened to the reports about all that mess "happening later" and was in Centreville at 9:30 showing properties. It was NOT pleasant so I dropped my client off at her car and feebled home. Much nicer up north a bit, and a friend in Alexandria had no concerns at all. My back yard had quite a bit of pileup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ouch! No need to say "told ya so" to Normie!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
what's so great about pittsburgh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
It's not NoVA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
whats wrong with NoVA?
To me I'm continuously frustrated by the fact that I could earn a $41,000 salary here and be relegated to a 1-BR apartment 20 miles outside the District, but in Pittsburgh I could earn a $38,000 salary in the same exact position and afford a 1-BR apartment in a subdivided historic rowhome within walking distance to a lot of amenities. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Why on Earth would a community with inadequate sidewalks, inadequate street lighting, inadequate mass transit, a slew of chain businesses, drab 1970s-era architecture, etc. be so much more expensive than the pulsing heart of a major U.S. city? The only two things I'm ever told to justify Reston's high housing costs are "good schools" (I don't care) and "good jobs" (I don't care again since I could take a pay-cut in Pittsburgh and improve my standard of living). That's it? That's why Reston's housing costs are so high? It's easy to see why I don't feel as if I'm getting a decent "bang for your buck" factor here.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 AM

I see what u mean. I went to school in Rochester, where you can get a 4-bedroom home for under 100k easily. I rented a really nice 1-bedroom in the most desirable neighborhood in the city (Park ave area), with the ability to walk to all the shops for $625. and even that was considered pricey for the area.

Compare that to where I grew up (Rockland County, NY) where (aside from Nyack), its mostly a commuter hub for people working in manhattan, and you pay out the ass for a room in someone's basement. Quite literally, the same quality apartment I had in Rochester would be twice the price in Rockland. And rockland is considered one of the cheapest areas in the NYC area.

I suppose theres a parallel with what I'm talking about and Pittsburgh vs. Nova. You pay to live near a "desirable" city.

Referring to my questions "what's so great about pittsburgh" and "whats wrong with Nova", I suppose I wasn't very clear on saying "besides the prices".

Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Bumping... because it's gonna snow again this weekend!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Bumping... because it's gonna snow again this weekend!
did they say how many inches? and how cold?

what about for the fairfax city area?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
did they say how many inches? and how cold?

what about for the fairfax city area?
The weatherman on channel four was predicting about a foot. But you know how predictions go... I'd ask ScranBarre, he's the only one who called it right last time.

As for the woolly bear, he's not talking. Somebody's got to teach them how to speak English. 'Cause I don't speak caterpillar!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
I learned to drive in Northern Indiana. And we spent several years in the Mountains in Washington State. I guess I'm an experienced snow driver.

My advise...Don't drive unless you absolutely have no choice. I won't be on the roads. To many uncontrollable things...you can't control other drivers or road conditions. Your car could break down or you could get a flat tire. Car trouble is a pain in the best of weather. Imagine a tow truck not being able to get to you. Also, the roads need to be open for snow plows and emergency vehicles. Don't add to the mess if you can avoid it. Stay home and play in the snow!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
My advice: you all don't need to run out and buy T.P. - you most likely have enough to "do the job"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia