Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times

Advertisements

Well, Scran-Barre, then we are united (for once ) in our puzzlement! But now you have me wondering: are gay bars generally mixed (meaning gay men and lesbians hang out at the same ones), or are they usually divided by gender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 AM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I've noticed a lot of DC peeps take a pretty elitist stance against anywhere other than DC
Never an issue of people there having less money, plus I used to live in Worldgate and my sister still lives out there.

Issue is how lame everything is out there. There are rarely many women at any of the "bars" in Reston, and the restaurants have predictable menus and tasteless food. ATR, Jackson's, Macaroni Grill - all about as exciting as chewing cardboard. Falls Church is far better, even though it's no wealthier and has some worn down strip malls, it's got places like Dogwood Tavern, 4 Ps, Clare N' Dons, Lazy Sundae, Elevation Burger, the State - which all have character, something you don't get in Reston. Falls Church is becoming one of my favorite areas in NoVa, it looks real, not like a lame attempt to build a mall without a roof.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I mean, there's not even a gay bar
could have fooled me, I've seen more women by some of the gay places in Dupont than I have at ATR or Jackson's

Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Never an issue of people there having less money, plus I used to live in Worldgate and my sister still lives out there.

Issue is how lame everything is out there. There are rarely many women at any of the "bars" in Reston, and the restaurants have predictable menus and tasteless food. ATR, Jackson's, Macaroni Grill - all about as exciting as chewing cardboard. Falls Church is far better, even though it's no wealthier and has some worn down strip malls, it's got places like Dogwood Tavern, 4 Ps, Clare N' Dons, Lazy Sundae, Elevation Burger, the State - which all have character, something you don't get in Reston. Falls Church is becoming one of my favorite areas in NoVa, it looks real, not like a lame attempt to build a mall without a roof.
1.) I agree that most of the bars in Reston are a total "sausage fest" (although, unfortunately for me, the guys there aren't into "meat", wink, wink!)

2.) Considering Reston and Herndon combined have about 85,000 people I'm very disappointed in the restaurant options here. We have Jimmy's in Herndon, a good down-to-earth sports bar with great food where the owner actually ran around bopping me on the head with a foam finger the last time I was there, and I've heard that the Lakeside Cafe in South Reston is a similar atmosphere (I'll have to defer here to JFromReston, as that's in his neighborhood). Other than that 90% of what is here is over-priced and drab chains.

3.) I agree very much with Falls Church, which is why I'm so sad most apartments there are even more expensive than Reston, which means I can't afford to live there. Those places you listed are what I really wish Reston had, and I don't know why we do NOT have them. I want a place like Jimmy's in Reston. So far I've still yet to understand why everything here seems so sterile, corporate, fake, and "Stepford."

Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
could have fooled me, I've seen more women by some of the gay places in Dupont than I have at ATR or Jackson's
Yes. As I said though these are mostly straight guys sitting there on the prowl for the very few single chicks and rushing to be the first one to brag about their job. Trust me, if Reston's bars were a total magnet for gay guys I'd be LIVING in RTC!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
We have Jimmy's in Herndon
probably my favorite place in the Dulles Corridor

Falls Church and Herndon are real places, Reston Town Center is just an overgrown shopping center, you need to move!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
probably my favorite place in the Dulles Corridor

Falls Church and Herndon are real places, Reston Town Center is just an overgrown shopping center, you need to move!
I am moving in May.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Jimmy's and the W&OD Trail are two of the only things that keep me sane here. I mean, there's not even a gay bar...
If there are any gay bars in Arlington and Alexandria, let alone anywhere in Fairfax County, they aren't flying the tell-tale rainbow flag in an obvious location. So one can't necessarily blame Reston for lacking that particular amenity.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If there are any gay bars in Arlington and Alexandria, let alone anywhere in Fairfax County, they aren't flying the tell-tale rainbow flag in an obvious location. So one can't necessarily blame Reston for lacking that particular amenity.
The only gay bar I know of in NoVA is Freddie's in Crystal City. And it's pretty obviously fabulous.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
The only gay bar I know of in NoVA is Freddie's in Crystal City. And it's pretty obviously fabulous.
Thanks!

Well there ya go, SB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia