Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It was a stunt by Stevens Miller. He's running for something and thought this would improve his liberal creds. He's also a total jerk who recently lost to Tom Rust when he moved into that district to run against Tom after having been in his supervisor job for only 2 years. He can't wait to move on.

I want to know when my too skinny kids are going to have a law saying that they can't be discriminated against. Acne should be covered too. And although my kids don't have it, what about people who have obnoxious personality disorder? Shouldn't employers be forced to hire them since they can't help it?

No one can legally be fired because they are too skinny, have acne, are ugly, or any of the other categories you mentioned in your 2 posts, but it is still legal in most of the country to fire people based on their sexual orientation, and gay legal aid organizations spend most of their time on this very issue. The train has already left the station regarding this issue, and I think it's just a matter of time before these laws go national. I work for a company that was forward looking enough to institute protections for its gay employees many years ago. There are talented gay folks in every level of staff and management, even senior V.P.'s. Do you have a problem with gay people in general? Your posts seem to be peculiarly hostile to a minority that has historically been as ostracized by society as any other minority. I know this because I'm gay myself and have had to confront attitudes like yours for decades, so I take your comments personally, especially the crack about the hypothetical murder of your 'gay' son. A friend of mine was murdered outside of a gay bar in Omaha in 1994, another was beaten senseless (and permanently scarred) outside of a gay establishment in D.C. in the 1980's. In both incidents, high school kids were involved, and in both cases they were given light sentences or suspended sentences, and in both cases they claimed that the victim of their attacks had propositioned them (and that was their defense in court). Had they been straight women (or better yet, straight men), I don't think they would have gotten off so lightly--------and THIS is why there are efforts nationwide to end this type of double standard, not to create one.

Last edited by smithy77; 01-09-2010 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
I'm all for freedom and common sense here people. We need common sense laws that can be enforced not feel good laws that police don't want to enforce. And to my original point... the homo-sexual discrimination would not be an issue if they didn't flaunt it. straight people DO NOT CARE if someone is gay or not. In comparison, If someone wears a bunch of tatoos, has long hair, bandanas, many piecings, etc. employers notice. many people keep their appearances in check because they know that it disturbs others (i.e bosses) and thus it can lead to discrimination. If a gang-bangar or sleazy wannabe rocker can play the game then so can gays.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I'm all for freedom and common sense here people. We need common sense laws that can be enforced not feel good laws that police don't want to enforce. And to my original point... the homo-sexual discrimination would not be an issue if they didn't flaunt it. straight people DO NOT CARE if someone is gay or not. In comparison, If someone wears a bunch of tatoos, has long hair, bandanas, many piecings, etc. employers notice. many people keep their appearances in check because they know that it disturbs others (i.e bosses) and thus it can lead to discrimination. If a gang-bangar or sleazy wannabe rocker can play the game then so can gays.
What on earth are you talking about? I've been 'out' since the 1970's and have worked in a professional capacity for over 30 years. I've also worked with a number of gay people over the years. What is this "flaunting" that so concerns you? Appearance is appearance. You dress for the job. You need to explain to me what this imagined behavior involves. Is it OK to flaunt your heterosexual behavior on the job? Sexualized behaviors in a work environment, regardless of whose orientation is involved, is wrong (and these days it could get you into a lot of trouble). Why do you single out gay people? How do you know that "straight people do not care if someone is gay or not"? I could give you the names of plenty of organizations, both religious and secular, that feel otherwise; heck, most forums are choc-full of people who feel otherwise.

Last edited by smithy77; 01-11-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Smity77: your post proved my point! "You dress for the job" Do you think a conservative straight employer wants a flaming homosexual representing his company? Do you not know what I mean by flaming? You might be gay, but I don't have to know about it. I actually agree with you that straight people should not "flaunt" their sexual behavoir. This thread is specifically about gays that is why I posted about it. The military has a don't ask-don't tell policy... And the only time it becomes an issue is when a gay person violates the "don't tell" part of it. If someone (on the job) does not ask you about your sexual preference, then don't disclose it!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Quote:
The military has a don't ask-don't tell policy... And the only time it becomes an issue is when a gay person violates the "don't tell" part of it. If someone (on the job) does not ask you about your sexual preference, then don't disclose it!
Do you think nobody in the military, which has hundreds of thousands of people with conservative religious beliefs, goes on witch hunts or outs people? All it takes is googling to find out that there have been plenty of instances where the military "Asked" before the servicemember "Told" anything.

Do you also think that it's inappropriate to mention your legally married spouse on the job? Every time my boss mentions his wife, he has disclosed his sexual orientation. It seems normal to me that coworkers would talk about their personal lives at work, and sexual orientation is part of that.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Stephen81: the military is not a company. There are many restrictions that apply to serving/entering the military that go far beyound sexuality... in any case, a person's actions & words will have an impact on his co-workers or others in the immediate surroundings. If a gay person wants to discuss his/her lifestyle then they are subjecting themselves to possible discrimination. Sorry to break the news to you, but homosexuality is not something many people are comfortable with. Your response might be that we should have to tolerate it, but that leads to more flaunting, and thus more adverse reactions towards gays.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Quote:
Stephen81: the military is not a company. There are many restrictions that apply to serving/entering the military that go far beyound sexuality... i
Then why bring up the military to begin with?

I'm not comfortable with people flaunting their religious beliefs in the office, but guess what, you're allowed to have a Bible quote on your desk and a company can't fire you for taking Yom Kippur or Eid Al-Fitr as a holiday. The law forces me to tolerate something I don't love. I don't see why the same can't be required of conservatives.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Smity77: your post proved my point! "You dress for the job" Do you think a conservative straight employer wants a flaming homosexual representing his company? Do you not know what I mean by flaming? You might be gay, but I don't have to know about it. I actually agree with you that straight people should not "flaunt" their sexual behavoir. This thread is specifically about gays that is why I posted about it. The military has a don't ask-don't tell policy... And the only time it becomes an issue is when a gay person violates the "don't tell" part of it. If someone (on the job) does not ask you about your sexual preference, then don't disclose it!
You provide a living example of the need for legal protections for gays on the job.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Default no special treatment

legal protection for gays only? Isn't that discrimination? We don't need more laws...Again, laws don't really protect anyone, enforcement does. If someone commits a crime against a gay person then they should be arrested. Likewise, if a gay person commits a crime against a straight person then they should be arrested. No special treatment!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Straight people talk about their mates/spouses all the time at work with no repercussions; are you saying straights should "not tell", since that's "flaunting their sexuality" in the way you dread gays might?

Do you think that cases of homosexuals being fired were because they were seen kissing someone of the same gender at work? Or because they were wearing leather chaps?

No, gays have been fired because they either were honest about their orientation to co-workers, or they confided to one, or a co-worker spotted them outside of work and it was evident they were gay and it got passed up to the boss.

Straights are able to bring spouses or significant others to the company picnic, but gays have to play the part of the single bachelor/bachelorette and show up alone?

Protecting gays from employment discrimination does not mean they'll start showing up as the Village People.

And the "don't ask, don't tell" policy of the military is not for long.

Progress is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia