Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

One time I was sitting on the Orange Line and a young man came into the car and began singing an operatic song. He sang all the way to Foggy Bottom (the next stop), then hopped back off. I never knew what that was all about, I guess it was a dare. Anyway, it made me laugh.

Anything weird ever happen to you on the Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I've been on the Metro when a Korean man stood up and started singing Christian hymns, loudly. I later read that he was quite a regular at this.

Another thing, perhaps weird, definitely disconcerting, was on the Orange line going from Rossyln to Courthouse. Our train hit a barrel or drum that was on the tracks and had to be stopped for a while.

Having a train conductor who kept announcing "Elephant Plaza" was weird.

I don't typically take Metro these days, so I wasn't riding on that recent "pants-less" day. From the photos I saw, I didn't miss much!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Pants-less day? LOL, I missed hearing about that. How many people did this, and just how pants-less were they?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I've been on the Metro when a Korean man stood up and started singing Christian hymns, loudly. I later read that he was quite a regular at this.
Oh, that might be the same guy.What I thought was opera might have been part of the Messiah or some other Christian piece. So what's the scoop on him? He's a good singer--is he doing this to practice or to claim stage time? Or is it just his way of having a laugh?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
When I was a regular Orange Line commuter, I saw the hymn guy several times.
Here's a YouTube video of him. People would yell nasty things at him, especially during the morning commute, when it's very quiet.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Weird experiences on the Metro? Angry people, gross people, helpful strangers and just plain weirdos:

1. Standing there holding the pole and a Jesus-preachy type starts reading the Bible REALLY loud about salvation and saving us and trying to get through the crowd. People near me whisper, "Oh no not him again."

2. Racing down the escalator, standing on the platform exactly where the door would stop and the guy next to me gets pissed off and calls me a derogatory name. When I ask him to repeat what he just said to me, several people pulled me away from him and he wandered away to the center of the train.

3. Trying to exit the train when it is super-packed and the young man next to me grabs my hand and holds it and helps me out.

4. Exiting the metro stop, walking on the sidewalk, waiting for the crosswalk light to change and see some guy across the street waiting at the corner in a trenchcoat who opens it and shows everyone his naked body.

3. Being near people who pick out their ear wax, stare at it, and then flick it in the air.

4. Being near people who pick their nose.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, that might be the same guy.What I thought was opera might have been part of the Messiah or some other Christian piece. So what's the scoop on him? He's a good singer--is he doing this to practice or to claim stage time? Or is it just his way of having a laugh?
He's witnessing. Evangelizing.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
He's witnessing. Evangelizing.
LOL, well if that was the point I guess he wasn't too successful, considering I thought he was singing opera...

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
When I was a regular Orange Line commuter, I saw the hymn guy several times.
Here's a YouTube video of him. People would yell nasty things at him, especially during the morning commute, when it's very quiet.
You know what, I think that's the guy! This is too funny! And the funniest part is, I've been thinking of making this a thread topic for years. But I was afraid if I told this story you guys would think I was making it up. Instead.... one of you saw the same guy and somone else gave me proof! Now how cool is that!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
My car battery died in the Van Dorn St Metro meter lot and I had to find a way to get it out before I got a parking ticket. I asked a Metro officer and he didn't have jumper cables. I asked the muslims driving taxis and they were gonna charge me a lot and they didnt have cables either. Finally, I just called my mom. Then I locked myself out of my car and three or four people tried to get my door open for 30 minutes. Finally, i got an idea of how to fit the slimjim the cab driver had in my door and caught my car lock. Maybe more stupid than weird but hey it's a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia