Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They're not in Congress. I'm sure out of 535 of those who are there are still a few who live there but it's getting to be a much smaller percentage than it used to be.
Maybe so - the irony is that, while they presumably don't move their families to DC area so they can claim they haven't been corrupted by the ways of Washington, they'll end up in a different type of bubble where they are always surrounded by people who think just like they do. Of course, when they do retire from Congress, a fair number of them will stay here then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I was going to ask where was the thread asking "How did Sterling get such a McLean reputation?"

OK, now this is the best laugh of the day.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Well, the town...er, community...has always gotten good press, since it was basically founded in the early 1900's by then Washington Post owner John McLean. He was also a partner in the firm that built the electric railway that ran out to Great Falls and did quite well in pre-Depression (and pre-air conditioning) days, particularly transporting DC residents away from the oppressive summer heat. There was an amusement park at Great Falls at the time, and cottages and picnic grounds as well. The railroad ran along present day Old Dominion Drive, and there was a station where it crossed Old Chain Bridge Road. Even though Lewinsville was on one side of the station and Langley on the other, McLean named the station after himself. Who wouldn't. In any case, due to McLean and a few of his wealthy friends and his railroad, a certain cachet had been built up around McLean even before the WWII, and the influx of people both during and after the war only increased it. There was some old money in McLean and many newcomers with money joined them, while the plain old GS-11's and GS-12's had to make do with digs down in Arlington. Later, the CIA and the Kennedy's and the number of high-ranking government and diplomatic types who took up residence there didn't hurt, but the area had already been a prestige address for a while by then. The reputation has simply never worn off, even though it's really not so much different today from Great Falls or Vienna. Those places were basically a part of fly-over country until the influxes of the 1960's and 70's made even "outside the Beltway" into an actual part of Metro DC, so while they may have a history, they don't really have a past, where McLean does...

Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Meh. I don't really see the allure to McLean. Sorry.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
The difference between McLean and Great Falls or Vienna is simple.
Location.
And city water/sewer.
From many parts of McLean, commuting into DC is a breeze. It's even closer to the CIA. Vienna -- well, first you have to get past Tyson's Corner. And then you have to deal with 66. And Great Falls is lovely, but that long and winding road gets old real fast, especially when you're behind a school bus. It's easy to get to both airports, too.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,780 times
When my Parents moved back to the DC area in the early 70's they choose to build "out" in McLean most in the DC area considered it "way out in the country". We had previously lived in Arlington. Back then most of the govt civil servants (think GS 15) moved to McLean becasue they could FINALLY own a bigger nicer home etc...(at least that was the way it was for us)

BUT again with SCHOOLS SCHOOLS SCHOOLS. with that you have a very good proximiety to DC and VERY low Crime.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I like McLean. I like it a lot, especially when I drive downhill on Kirby Road. McLean is great--but, IMO, no nicer than Great Falls. Or most of Falls Church. Or Vienna. Or Wolftrap. Or any number of other nice neighborhoods.

So here's a mystery....

I know many people moving here from my old neighborhood in southern California. I can't tell you how many of them tell me they want to find a house in "either Georgetown or McLean." I ask them why, and they say "everyone knows those are the two best neighborhoods" but they rarely know reasons beyond that.

I'm intrigued--how did McLean get such a sterling reputation? I don't begrudge the reputation, just wondering how it came to be. Is it because people hear it mentioned in the news (movie stars and politicians live there). Or are the schools really that much better that people in California know about it? Or... maybe some other reason altogether?

What do you guys think?
You've answered your own question with the word ''sterling''. It's where the money is. Why? Location, Location, Location. The schools are better because it's the richest area. That's how it always works. Rich people are well educated and smart, for the most part. (It's hard to get through Law school or Medical school without being smart.) Smart people produce smart kids whose parents care about education. That makes for good schools, smart kids who work hard because their parents demand it.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, the town...er, community...has always gotten good press, since it was basically founded in the early 1900's by then Washington Post owner John McLean. He was also a partner in the firm that built the electric railway that ran out to Great Falls and did quite well in pre-Depression (and pre-air conditioning) days, particularly transporting DC residents away from the oppressive summer heat. There was an amusement park at Great Falls at the time, and cottages and picnic grounds as well. The railroad ran along present day Old Dominion Drive, and there was a station where it crossed Old Chain Bridge Road. Even though Lewinsville was on one side of the station and Langley on the other, McLean named the station after himself. Who wouldn't. In any case, due to McLean and a few of his wealthy friends and his railroad, a certain cachet had been built up around McLean even before the WWII, and the influx of people both during and after the war only increased it. There was some old money in McLean and many newcomers with money joined them, while the plain old GS-11's and GS-12's had to make do with digs down in Arlington. Later, the CIA and the Kennedy's and the number of high-ranking government and diplomatic types who took up residence there didn't hurt, but the area had already been a prestige address for a while by then. The reputation has simply never worn off, even though it's really not so much different today from Great Falls or Vienna. Those places were basically a part of fly-over country until the influxes of the 1960's and 70's made even "outside the Beltway" into an actual part of Metro DC, so while they may have a history, they don't really have a past, where McLean does...
Ah, Vienna certainly has a history, It's been there since the 1700's and it's been a town for over 100 years! It most definitely has a past! Town of Vienna, Virginia, Town Government . (http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Info/history.htm - broken link)

Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
The difference between McLean and Great Falls or Vienna is simple.
Location.
And city water/sewer.
From many parts of McLean, commuting into DC is a breeze. It's even closer to the CIA. Vienna -- well, first you have to get past Tyson's Corner. And then you have to deal with 66. And Great Falls is lovely, but that long and winding road gets old real fast, especially when you're behind a school bus. It's easy to get to both airports, too.

I totally agree. It is ALL about the location. It is inside the Beltway and has a major artery that leads directly to the GW Parkway and The Chain Bridge -- you can get up into northwest DC very easily (well -- now that they are repairing The Chain Bridge that is a bit of a nightmare in rush hour) but all in all I find it to have one of the most convenient locations for getting around DC. You can also hop onto the Dulles Toll Road or Rt. 66 just outside the boundaries. Plus --McLean High School is a good -- not great -- high school with a bit of a hometown feel. I like McLean but it is overpriced -- but again it is all about the location. Like everything in this area -- you get what you pay for. Vienna is also very nice -- but you will add 25 minues to your commute.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
You've answered your own question with the word ''sterling''. It's where the money is.
Very clever! A good pun always get a smile from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia