Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I like McLean. I like it a lot, especially when I drive downhill on Kirby Road. McLean is great--but, IMO, no nicer than Great Falls. Or most of Falls Church. Or Vienna. Or Wolftrap. Or any number of other nice neighborhoods.

So here's a mystery....

I know many people moving here from my old neighborhood in southern California. I can't tell you how many of them tell me they want to find a house in "either Georgetown or McLean." I ask them why, and they say "everyone knows those are the two best neighborhoods" but they rarely know reasons beyond that.

I'm intrigued--how did McLean get such a sterling reputation? I don't begrudge the reputation, just wondering how it came to be. Is it because people hear it mentioned in the news (movie stars and politicians live there). Or are the schools really that much better that people in California know about it? Or... maybe some other reason altogether?

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Yeah I've noticed that too. I agree that Mclean isn't nicer than those places you mentioned. My guess is that it is a status symbol (living in G-town, Mclean) But, I prefer Old Town Alexandria myself.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 PM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
As someone who grew up in McLean, I don't think people realize it's incredibly boring, with a dearth of good restaurants. Technically both Tysons malls are in McLean, but aside from that, there's no shopping in McLean either. McLean has the highest-performing schools in the state, is in a great commuting location, and has more scenic beauty (read: more trees and parks, and with better river access) than most of Fairfax County, but that's about it.

I've found that status symbols aren't necessarily the best places, whether towns, restaurants, or stores. Sometimes people like things just because they are expensive, not because there is a good reason for them to be expensive.

Also, I have to get in a dig against SoCal (my mom's from there and her entire family still lives there)...SoCal is just a very status-conscious area. People are much more into "where do you live and where are your clothes from" than here, whereas in this area people care more about where you went to school and how many degrees you have. I wouldn't be surprised if transplants from less status-conscious cities like, say, Minneapolis, or Seattle, were less gung-ho about McLean.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I've found that status symbols aren't necessarily the best places, whether towns, restaurants, or stores. Sometimes people like things just because they are expensive, not because there is a good reason for them to be expensive.
LOL, that's what I tell my friends. It's like Beverly Hills... Beverly Hills is nice but kind of boring (and believe it or not it has some dumpy sections). A lot of other towns are better, but Beverly Hills is what people from out of town head for like a beeline.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Normie, I had to read your post three times.. I thought you were comparing McLean to Sterling, haha! Got it on the third time.. I've met a bunch of people from my previous home country who live in McLean because it is close to DC and all the embassies (where most of them work..). And when they get new people/staff, they all move to McLean. It must be a word of mouth kinda thing? Or like Guamanians said, a status symbol? I wouldn't know, never been there.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Normie, I had to read your post three times.. I thought you were comparing McLean to Sterling, haha!
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Best laugh of the day! Oh my, that does give a whole new perspective on having a sterling reputation!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It got that way because that's where many high powered politicians like the Kennedy's lived before the Republicans decided they didn't want to pollute their families by living here. Now a lot of them live in little bachelor pads on capitol hill and commute home on weekends to the "real America" (their term). This is one reason the politics here's become so polarized. Politicians used to socialize with others from both sides of the aisle.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Best laugh of the day! Oh my, that does give a whole new perspective on having a sterling reputation!
I was going to ask where was the thread asking "How did Sterling get such a McLean reputation?"

Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It got that way because that's where many high powered politicians like the Kennedy's lived before the Republicans decided they didn't want to pollute their families by living here. Now a lot of them live in little bachelor pads on capitol hill and commute home on weekends to the "real America" (their term). This is one reason the politics here's become so polarized. Politicians used to socialize with others from both sides of the aisle.
I don't quite buy that 100%. There are still plenty of politicians (current and former) living in McLean. Both of Cheney's daughters graduated from McLean HS. Colin Powell lives in McLean. Even as Fairfax County as a whole trended Democratic, McLean remained more evenly split between Republicans and Democrats.

I do think the "Hickory Hill" aura gave McLean a buzz. Otherwise, its main drawing point is its proximity to DC. You can have a shorter commute living in Arlington or Alexandria, or a bigger yard in Vienna or Great Falls, but McLean strikes the right balance for many families. I've noted before that I'm amazed at how unimpressive the commercial center of McLean is, but I've come to realize that a lot of people who live in McLean want to keep it that way. As long as the local Giant is good and McLean Hardware stays in business, they're quite happy that most of the good restaurants are a short drive away in Arlington, Falls Church and Vienna, and that people head to Tysons for their serious shopping.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I don't quite buy that 100%. There are still plenty of politicians (current and former) living in McLean. Both of Cheney's daughters graduated from McLean HS. Colin Powell lives in McLean. Even as Fairfax County as a whole trended Democratic, McLean remained more evenly split between Republicans and Democrats..
They're not in Congress. I'm sure out of 535 of those who are there are still a few who live there but it's getting to be a much smaller percentage than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia