Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,255,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
The schools districts will not use their data to bust illegals or people participating in illegal zoning practices. It's ashame because they damn well should. Sort by address, and show me where more than 4 students reside at the same address---a fifth grader could do it.
Its unlikely that a boarding house is going to have that many families living in one house particularly 4 families. Usually these are occupied by singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,255,603 times
Huntington was my first introduction to the area. Stayed at a cheap motel on Rt 1 when I was up here for the job interview. Now kinda sorta talking to someone in that area. Is it the prettiest neighborhood? No but I think its an alright neighborhood. Also for every shabby looking apartment complex there's a nice luxury condo or a brand new townhouse. So its an interesting mix that gives you more bang for your buck than other parts of Alexandria.

Really and truly there are no true "ghetto" sections of Northern Virginia. There are cheap and crime ridden apartment complexes like any suburban area but for every bad complex there's a nice one nearby taking advantage of cheaper real estate.

As far as being an interacial couple in Huntington. Naw don't worry about that. Interracial hookups are super common in the DC area never seen a city quite like it in that regard.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,801,766 times
Huntington is probably the ugliest SAFE neighborhood in Northern VA. I'll tell you one thing, I'll gladly stay there rather than most of Rt. 1. Huntington is very racially mixed, don't even worry about being an interracial couple there, we have everything mixed with everything.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
I can name the Ft. Hunt arsonists, can you?
Yes. Tim Greer, Robert Smithwick, and Matthew Musolino were convicted of doing it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM

845 posts, read 2,329,699 times
Is Muso-gasohol still in business? That was his family. Smithwick's dad was a General.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,711,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Huntington is probably the ugliest SAFE neighborhood in Northern VA. I'll tell you one thing, I'll gladly stay there rather than most of Rt. 1. Huntington is very racially mixed, don't even worry about being an interracial couple there, we have everything mixed with everything.
I know what you mean, but it's not THAT ugly If you drive through Del Ray you will see areas that are just as "ugly". Even parts of old town and south Arlington are a little sketchy. But your point is valid in that Huntington is safe and a better option than living further down Rt. 1.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,470 times
Huntington's pretty darn ugly. What passes for the neighborhood "park" (called, not surprisingly, Huntington Park) is a patch of weeds with various kinds of decaying bottles (mostly plastic) scattered about. It's sad. I'd recommend Huntington *only* if both of the following conditions were met: 1.) you're married to your car and don't expect to find any sort of "community" feel whatsoever in the area where you live; and 2.) you want a lot of space near Old Town Alexandria and don't want to pay through the nose for it.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,711,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Huntington's pretty darn ugly. What passes for the neighborhood "park" (called, not surprisingly, Huntington Park) is a patch of weeds with various kinds of decaying bottles (mostly plastic) scattered about. It's sad. I'd recommend Huntington *only* if both of the following conditions were met: 1.) you're married to your car and don't expect to find any sort of "community" feel whatsoever in the area where you live; and 2.) you want a lot of space near Old Town Alexandria and don't want to pay through the nose for it.
The big snowstorm actually helped bring the neighborhood together. I just moved to Huntington at the end of Jan when we got the 6-8 inch 'dusting". Then a few days later it was the 20-30 inch blizzard. Welcome to the neighborhood

Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 13,566 times
Default Huntington/Neighborhood in Transition

I would not say Huntington is ghetto. I would say it is a community in transition. The duplex area is in transition. Maybe one out of every 5 have been remodeled and is kept up. Kings Crossing of course is brand new and prices and population reflect it. Midtown, about the same but more reasonably priced. Huntington Club is in decline and attracts vandals from metro. The population is mixed and it seems to work for the most part. I don't think people would bat an eye at the racial make up of a couple. I'd give it a thumbs up for diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia