Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

I'll be taking a job in Chantilly this summer and would like some idea's/input from anyone willing to help out! I'm a 29 year old contractor and I've been living in Europe for the past 4 years. My career started out in Ashburn, which was okay I guess, but I'm sure things have changed a lot since 2006.

Anyways, money isn't really an issue, my income is in the 6 digit range, but I don't want to buy anything just yet, just trying to keep myself un-attached for the time being. I've lived all over the world and would much rather commute to work and live in a more diverse/exciting area that I don't need a car.

So I'm looking for a place that's walking distance to a good night life and restaraunts/shops with maybe some parks nearby as well. I love music, raggae, ska/punk stuff, running, socializing at bars.......The Ballston area looks pretty decent, so maybe someone could shed some light on living there or some place similar? You know like, what aparment buildings are full of old people, young people, where's the music scene etc.....

I like to network and meet people rather than googling stuff and trying it for myself. Because without people, we're nothing! (Joe Strummer

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
The orange line corridor (Rosslyn to Ballston) will probably be your best bet. It's definitely filled with young professionals, and you could get away without a car for the most part (except to get to work, of course). There are a lot of bars and restaurants in the area, and you'll have easy access to the metro to get downtown for concerts and such.

Another possibility would be to look downtown. Having a car will be less of a necessity (thought parking could be expensive and a pain), and you'll be in the middle of all kinds of culture and such. It will increase your commute though.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I concur with the Orange Line corridor suggestion. Keep in mind that if you recall what traffic was like around here when you lived in Ashburn, it hasn't gotten any better. But if you're up for enduring what could be an hour commute each way, you'll be happy to come home to NOVA's 20something mecca.

If you're not feeling that commute, a compromise would be Reston Town Center. Certainly not as "hip" as those Arlington neighborhoods but it would give you a quasi-urban vibe to sustain you until the weekend. You would at least be close to the W & OD Trail for running purposes.

The music scene hasn't changed much from 2006 IMO. Mostly in DC with fits and starts in Arlington, Alexandria and Falls Church as well as all the usual concert venues.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM

An hour commute each way? I don't think so...unless traffic has gotten a lot worse in the past year. Arlington to Chantilly is pretty much a straight shot out 66 as a reverse commute. I did Crystal City to Reston for a while, and it never took more than about 30 minutes in the morning at prime rush hour (and that was with a stop for coffee on the way!). And it's an easy commute, so even though it's semi-long, it's not stressful at all.

The evenings were slightly longer, because 66 slowed down between the 267 merge and ballston, but still not bad at all.

I don't know, I don't think Reston has anything the OP is looking for. It's suburbia, not a place you can get around without a car, a place with a good music scene, or "diverse/exciting". If shrinking the commute by 15 minutes is worth it, than Reston is a place to look into, but if adding 15 minutes isn't a big deal, I think Arlington is a better choice.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
An hour commute each way? I don't think so...unless traffic has gotten a lot worse in the past year. Arlington to Chantilly is pretty much a straight shot out 66 as a reverse commute. I did Crystal City to Reston for a while, and it never took more than about 30 minutes in the morning at prime rush hour (and that was with a stop for coffee on the way!). And it's an easy commute, so even though it's semi-long, it's not stressful at all.

The evenings were slightly longer, because 66 slowed down between the 267 merge and ballston, but still not bad at all.
While I completely agree with you that the OP should consider the Orange Line areas of Arlington, I'm amazed by how quickly you were able to commute!

I live in Court House and work in Oakton. My morning commute is generally around 30 minutes (at 7:45) and my evening commute more like 40-45 (at 5 or 5:15). Working in Chantilly instead of Oakton will add a good 10-15 minutes each way. The commute can be tiring and stressful for a "reverse commute", if such a thing really exists in Northern Virginia. Still, I don't know where else a single 29 year old would enjoy living/commuting from more than Ballston <-> Rosslyn.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Okay, maybe I'm wrong then. This was fall of 2007, and I went from Crystal City to Reston town center around 8:00 and 4:30. 66-267 was almost always traffic free for me.

Things may have changed (and I never took the part of 66 outside the beltway, so that may be worse). Thanks for your input!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,682 times
I too lived overseas for a number of years... trying to find a little local spot where you don't need a car and have easy access to shops and restaurants is going to leave you looking either in DC itself or perhaps Arlington. Again, the access will be on the orange line as others have said.
But I live in Chantilly and I can tell you the commute from Arlington to Chantilly will be long. If you drive the commute could be shorter, but if you want to depend on public transportation you will have to take the orange line to Vienna and then bus it to Chantilly. Driving by car in the morning will be better than in the afternoon. Chantilly to Arlington in the afternoon on 66 or even 50 or 29 can be very very long. There is A LOT of traffic now going East in the evening hours on 66. I'd expect about a 30-45 minute drive in the morning and a 45-60 minute drive in the evening.

If you can sacrifice the local feel and walking everywhere, there are some nicer town-like areas in the suburbs that are closer to Chantilly and would make the commute a lot shorter time-wise. You can look at downtown Vienna, Reston Town Center area, Brambleton in Ashburn...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I'm just going to throw this out there even though it's not ideal. Downtown Bethesda (MD) is a great place to live. Tons of nightlife, lots of singles, restaurants, bars, theatre, parks, walking trail - it's got it all. The only problem is that you have to cross over the river to get to Chantilly. I personally like it better than Arlington, and it may not be much more of a commute. Just an idea.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,686 times
So I guess they haven't solved the traffic problem in the 4 years I've been gone, thanks for all the input, how is the quality of living in Reston Town Center? Any cheaper/more expensive than Arlington? Has anyone here lived in those enormous apartment buildings? They kinda look like hotel buildings. Is that about all you're limited to in the city of Arlington, or are there good Condo's/Townhomes close to the city.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadoraz10 View Post
So I guess they haven't solved the traffic problem in the 4 years I've been gone, thanks for all the input, how is the quality of living in Reston Town Center? Any cheaper/more expensive than Arlington? Has anyone here lived in those enormous apartment buildings? They kinda look like hotel buildings. Is that about all you're limited to in the city of Arlington, or are there good Condo's/Townhomes close to the city.
I don't know for sure but I would surmise that rents right on Reston Town Center could rival those in "Orange Line" Arlington. Away from that, the rest of Reston would definitely be less expensive.

Arlington is about as close to DC as you can get. There is the Rosslyn neighborhood which is across the river from Georgetown and on the same Orlange Line as the other neighborhoods mentioned. However, there's not much happening after-hours and it would only increase your daily commute. There are certain to be smaller apt buildings further away from the main drag where people like the convenience of the Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia