Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM

373 posts, read 820,887 times

Advertisements

I fill up my tank every two weeks commuting 30 miles (round trip) a day, spending about $90 a month on gas. Even if your car is more fuel efficient than mine, you'll still be blowing through about five tanks of gas a month. That will probably add another $100 - $200 to your monthly expenses, not including wear and tear and higher rates if you inform your insurance company that you're using your car for a long commute.

Will you feel like cooking at home after such a long commute? If not, add money to your budget for extra take-out.

Do you think you're going to meet more 20-somethings in Winchester than closer to DC? If not, factor in expenses for either extra trips to DC or Blockbuster rentals, however you spend your time when there's nothing to do.

Basically I think moving from Reston to Winchester when you work and play inside the Beltway will add at least $300 to you monthly expenses. I recall you saying you spend about $1100 for rent. If you up your budget just a little, to $1200, you could easily find a nice share in a nice, close-in neighborhood. If you up it by what you'd realistically spend to power-commute, $1400 could get you a lovely studio, one-bedroom, or English basement in almost any historical neighborhood. Will it have stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and jacuzzi? Probably not. Will it be a pied a terre that'll place you right in the middle of the type of life you want? Sure.

My advice is to look beyond big, corporate apartment complexes and their exorbitant rents and search for private rentals or small, multi-unit buildings. Enlist the help of a realtor if you need to. Del Ray and the Park Fairfax areas in Alexandria have a multitude of small rentals for $1000 - $1300, and these neighborhoods have historical charm and are just minutes by car from DC, close to King St and Braddock Rd metros. Even Old Town had rentals available for under $1200 when I looked a couple of months ago. Yes, they were small and lacked luxurious amenities, but LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

There are MANY entry-level federal employees living in DC, Arlington and Alexandria, with roommates and without. Super commuting is for mid-level employees with four children who want to own property with space and land, not for single guys looking for friends and love who think they'll suddenly have perfect lives if only they could save a few dollars a month on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I fill up my tank every two weeks commuting 30 miles (round trip) a day, spending about $90 a month on gas. Even if your car is more fuel efficient than mine, you'll still be blowing through about five tanks of gas a month. That will probably add another $100 - $200 to your monthly expenses, not including wear and tear and higher rates if you inform your insurance company that you're using your car for a long commute.

Will you feel like cooking at home after such a long commute? If not, add money to your budget for extra take-out.

Do you think you're going to meet more 20-somethings in Winchester than closer to DC? If not, factor in expenses for either extra trips to DC or Blockbuster rentals, however you spend your time when there's nothing to do.

Basically I think moving from Reston to Winchester when you work and play inside the Beltway will add at least $300 to you monthly expenses. I recall you saying you spend about $1100 for rent. If you up your budget just a little, to $1200, you could easily find a nice share in a nice, close-in neighborhood. If you up it by what you'd realistically spend to power-commute, $1400 could get you a lovely studio, one-bedroom, or English basement in almost any historical neighborhood. Will it have stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and jacuzzi? Probably not. Will it be a pied a terre that'll place you right in the middle of the type of life you want? Sure.

My advice is to look beyond big, corporate apartment complexes and their exorbitant rents and search for private rentals or small, multi-unit buildings. Enlist the help of a realtor if you need to. Del Ray and the Park Fairfax areas in Alexandria have a multitude of small rentals for $1000 - $1300, and these neighborhoods have historical charm and are just minutes by car from DC, close to King St and Braddock Rd metros. Even Old Town had rentals available for under $1200 when I looked a couple of months ago. Yes, they were small and lacked luxurious amenities, but LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

There are MANY entry-level federal employees living in DC, Arlington and Alexandria, with roommates and without. Super commuting is for mid-level employees with four children who want to own property with space and land, not for single guys looking for friends and love who think they'll suddenly have perfect lives if only they could save a few dollars a month on rent.
These are all great suggestions, but I get the feeling that he isn't really interested in hearing common sense solutions.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Changing your user name is NOT against the rules. Just read about it in the FAQ section.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...ou-change.html
Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
I think we're dodging the most important question(s) here.

Is Winchester a walkable community with good public transit options? If not, how can you possibly deem it worthy?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Scranny, for cryin' out loud, just quit the damned job and go someplace you'll be happy...life's too short!
Agreed. But, in case he decides to stay here ... Scran-Barre, do you know for sure that your boss would approve the three-day-only in the office plan? If you're serious about this you should stay in a hotel in Winchester for two consecutive nights and try out the commute at the hours you'd be doing it, along with the 10-hour work days, so you can evaluate how it would really feel to do this.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Paul I've never understood why you didn't consider a relocation to Harrisburg. You can have the tree-lined streets, urban neighborhoods, culture, night life, jobs AND affordability. Plus, you're still in PA

Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Closed for Moderators review

Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I would highly suggest that the discussion remains focused on the the original topic and not any perceived off-topic issues. I would also encourage everyone to identify each other by screennames (or close variation thereof) unless a member has specifically said otherwise.

Happy Sunday!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 AM

97 posts, read 321,096 times
Commuting hours a day from Winchester is the opposite of community-building. If you want to live in a "community," then live where you work. You will see more people you know in the grocery store, etc, and you will have more in common with them. Not sure if a new job or a new house is needed here, but a long commute does not make for community living.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 AM

123 posts, read 246,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I think we're dodging the most important question(s) here.

Is Winchester a walkable community with good public transit options? If not, how can you possibly deem it worthy?
Ahahaha. I like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia