Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,104,365 times

Advertisements

If the Humpback Bridge is repaired or upgraded, does it mean there will be more room to merge when taking the GW Parkway north exit off of 395? Trying to merge currently is as close to a NASCAR type experience as many in NoVa are likely to encounter.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,691,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Harry Reid's ignorance of the Humpback bridge show that he is out of touch with Northern Virginians. And, since the demographics of NOVA are largely a good mix of America we can safely say that Harry Reid is out of touch with Americans

The only US Senators that need to give a hoot about Northern Virginians are Mark Warner and Jim Webb.

I'm quite sure that voters in Nevada couldn't care less about bridges in Virginia...humpback or otherwise.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,298,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Why the cheap potshot? I've lived here for 30 years and spent some of that time commuting on the GW Parkway from McLean to the District, and I've never heard of the "Humpback Bridge" either.
Well considering all the other bridges along the parkway are flat, it's not too hard to figure out which one the name refers to.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,513,174 times
Yeah, yeah, I know which bridge you're referring to----I didn't know it had a name. My point was that the attempt to link a Senator's lack of knowledge about a bridge's nickname with his purported disconnect between his office and his constituency is beyond delusional. It's just plain laughable. It's like saying that a Senator's refusal to eat cheese shows his contempt for the people of Wisconsin.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,984,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The only US Senators that need to give a hoot about Northern Virginians are Mark Warner and Jim Webb.

I'm quite sure that voters in Nevada couldn't care less about bridges in Virginia...humpback or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know which bridge you're referring to----I didn't know it had a name. My point was that the attempt to link a Senator's lack of knowledge about a bridge's nickname with his purported disconnect between his office and his constituency is beyond delusional. It's just plain laughable. It's like saying that a Senator's refusal to eat cheese shows his contempt for the people of Wisconsin.
Two excellent points.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM

If i'd meant this to be political I'd have posted it in that forum. I don't care that Reid's a Democrat as I'd have posted the same thing had Mitch McConnell said it. Geez do we always have to pick sides and take umbrage when someone says something derogatory about someone of our political persuasion? What happened to the bi-partisan sport of making fun of a public official who is ignorant of something in his own backyard?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,463,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If i'd meant this to be political I'd have posted it in that forum. I don't care that Reid's a Democrat as I'd have posted the same thing had Mitch McConnell said it. Geez do we always have to pick sides and take umbrage when someone says something derogatory about someone of our political persuasion? What happened to the bi-partisan sport of making fun of a public official who is ignorant of something in his own backyard?
Maybe I should leave it to the administrators to respond, but I thought your questions were answered pretty well by earlier posts. But to try in a slightly different way:

1) as several people pointed out, they have lived here for years and have never heard of this bridge or may know the bridge but never heard it called by that name -- and I would add myself to those people -- are we all stupid/ignorant/unaware, etc., of NoVA?;

2) because as one person pointed out, not knowing this nickname says nothing at all about what the politician in question knows or doesn't know about his/her job, important world affairs, and/ or his/her constituency, or the politician's intelligence or other personal qualities. So it isn't an indication of Reid's "ignorance."

I'd also add the following: because of 1) and 2), it seems like such an overreach, which implies to others here that anyone making the leap has some motivation for trying to make the target look bad. So that makes it hard to believe that it's truly an equal opportunity, I'd-say-the-same-thing-regardless-of-party comment. So I'm glad Tone stepped in to remind us all that this isn't the right forum for that kind of thing.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,463,714 times
Not to pile it on, CAVA, but instead to help to communicate why some of us interpreted your comments as we did: did you notice that in your opening post, you referred to Sen. Bunning with his appropriate title, but you omitted this gesture of respect for Sen. Reid, who is not only a Senator but the highest ranking (currently) Senator? Putting all these clues together - it looks like a "shot" rather than something you'd point out regardless of who said it.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,513,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you didn't "mean this to be political", then you shouldn't have included 2 Senators, a bill, and a bridge whose construction was held up by a political act. How did you expect people to respond? Your original post was not only political, but you also took sides.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
1) as several people pointed out, they have lived here for years and have never heard of this bridge or may know the bridge but never heard it called by that name -- and I would add myself to those people -- are we all stupid/ignorant/unaware, etc., of NoVA?;.
Oh come on admit it, even if you'd never heard the name before, if someone said it in reference to the GW Parkway, you'd know what they were talking about (hmmm, where have I driven along there that seems like it could be called a "humpback bridge"?). Again, the post was meant as something I found amusing and not a political attack. You folks need to lighten up. Your responses show just how poisonous the political climate has gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia