Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 11,564 times

Advertisements

Any office of the government requires when in the office to be in suit & tie (men). suit, dress skirt, dress pants (women).
Any agency that has you working in the field such as FBI, DEA, ATF etc you may wear casual or even street clothes, but you must in any way, shape or form have something that identifies you with that agency such as a hat, jacket, shirt etc. unless you are told otherwise or having such connective apparel on your person poses a threat to your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Trench coat, fedora with brim pulled down over your face, brief case that shoots bullets, sword cane.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
You will be expected to wear a baseball cap with the CIA letters prominently on the front, available from many sidewalk vendors downtown. Do not even think about showing up without this on your head.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunomo View Post
Any office of the government requires when in the office to be in suit & tie (men). suit, dress skirt, dress pants (women).
Any agency that has you working in the field such as FBI, DEA, ATF etc you may wear casual or even street clothes, but you must in any way, shape or form have something that identifies you with that agency such as a hat, jacket, shirt etc. unless you are told otherwise or having such connective apparel on your person poses a threat to your life.
Hahahaha...can you please pass this memo on to my government counterparts? The guy sitting across from me (in a federal government office) is wearing jeans and a Philadelphia Phillies tshirt. (He has a dress shirt on under the tshirt, so maybe that counts for something...)

I have never once seen a government employee in a suit at my agency. Dressy is a polo or sweater with khakis here. Now contractors/consultants? They're dressed to the nines.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Hahahaha...can you please pass this memo on to my government counterparts? The guy sitting across from me (in a federal government office) is wearing jeans and a Philadelphia Phillies tshirt. (He has a dress shirt on under the tshirt, so maybe that counts for something...)

I have never once seen a government employee in a suit at my agency. Dressy is a polo or sweater with khakis here. Now contractors/consultants? They're dressed to the nines.
Seconded.. at least in my agency.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM

617 posts, read 1,355,988 times
I definitely overdress for my office, shirt and tie every day, even Friday's. Most of the women here do not dress up to that standard, and I'm singling out the women because I'm one of only two men in my division.

I'm 30, for what it's worth, so I don't think it's an age thing, just a personal mindset.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Hahahaha... The guy sitting across from me (in a federal government office) is wearing jeans and a Philadelphia Phillies tshirt. (He has a dress shirt on under the tshirt, so maybe that counts for something....
Undercover personnel?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Undercover personnel?
lol, not quite. He just knows there's no reason to dress up--he travels in from another site each week, so the people he's working for aren't his superiors who write his reviews. There's no one here to impress...so he just doesn't impress anyone.

There was a woman who worked here a few months ago who routinely wore mini skirts, tank tops, and fishnet stockings. She was probably 50 or so. It was neither appropriate nor attractive. (I'm 24, and would have been self conscious wearing it out on a Friday night!)

It's entertaining sometimes to see what some folks consider work attire.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Frumpy is the name of the game at my agency as well. I always wear black dress pants, dress socks, dress shoes, and a long-sleeved dress shirt, at the very least (although recently I've been wearing a sweater over the shirt). Our contracting counterparts are always dressed in high-end suits (the fact that they earn higher salaries probably helps---I could never afford a nice suit).

Colleagues of mine think nothing of "Government casual" being acceptable---hoodies, jeans, sweatpants, etc. It is embarrassing, actually, and when someone puts such little effort into their attire at the office I'm inclined to think they are less enthusiastic about the task at-hand. I'm happy I'm returning to the private-sector.

P.S. It's not a generational thing. I just turned 24.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
FWIW, this is how we see dress codes from a bosses' perspective. When our employees are comfortable, they get more work done. We like them to wear a "professional" look when meeting with clients. However, for day-to-day operations I actually prefer they leave their nice clothes at home.

We learned the hard way that employees who dress nicely spend too much time worrying about their clothes and not enough time thinking about work.

They're hesitant in any situation that requires plugging in cables, fixing the copier, or moving furniture, computers, boxes, etc. They tend to go home early because dressy suits bind after awhile. If something wayward happens to expensive clothing (a button pops off, a tear, a spill) they spend too much time trying to fix it, and often slip out of work to go home to change and take the garment to a cleaners.

Give me an employee in comfortable clothes any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia