Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM

31 posts, read 87,277 times

Advertisements

So this warmer weather has sparked my need for a little golf.

Now, I'm not good, but I'm not horrible.

I'd just be looking for a few courses for just me or me and a friend that isn't going to break the bank.

I'm in Ashburn but could travel a bit. I'm not really looking for the whole country club setup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Brambleton, South Riding, Raspberry Falls.

For a day trip, I hear Rock Harbor in Winchester is nice.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
We love the course at Algonkian Park. This time of year the driving range can be very amusing. Deer like to run across and chase the balls. The first time I saw this I was a little upset (I thought the deer might get hurt). But they have some uncanny ability to get close to a flying golf ball without getting hit by it.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...Deer like to run across and chase the balls. The first time I saw this I was a little upset (I thought the deer might get hurt). But they have some uncanny ability to get close to a flying golf ball without getting hit by it.

Too bad they don't have the same ability to avoid flying cars!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

We though Algonkian was in terrible shape the one time we tried it! The deer and geese had destroyed the fairways! There was goose poop everywhere. There were a million deer and they weren't even frightened by the golf carts trying to shoo them away; they just looked as us as if to say "Go ahead, make me move!"

Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,182 times
There's one in Leesburg, right off route 7, Goose Creek. I only know it by seeing the sign as I drive in that area, but I believe it is public.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM

96 posts, read 261,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy View Post
So this warmer weather has sparked my need for a little golf.

Now, I'm not good, but I'm not horrible.

I'd just be looking for a few courses for just me or me and a friend that isn't going to break the bank.

I'm in Ashburn but could travel a bit. I'm not really looking for the whole country club setup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Thanks for asking about the golf situation. It spurs me to add my question. We are moving soon to NoVA and are interested in a semi-private golf club. Does anyone have any suggestions for one in the Arlington or Alexandria area?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
If you don't mind driving just across the river to Potomac Park in DC you can play at Hains Point. It's not too bad for a public course.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
This is an interesting thread. I don't really golf, but my 9 year old has taken up interest and has taken lessons and goes when visiting his grandparents. In FL we went to what they called a "chip and putt" course which was perfect for him. I don't want to bother with tee times and crowds. Any suggestions on where in the area would be a good place for a novice golfer and his son? I would guess a par 3 public course would be our best bet.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This is an interesting thread. I don't really golf, but my 9 year old has taken up interest and has taken lessons and goes when visiting his grandparents. In FL we went to what they called a "chip and putt" course which was perfect for him. I don't want to bother with tee times and crowds. Any suggestions on where in the area would be a good place for a novice golfer and his son? I would guess a par 3 public course would be our best bet.

Oak Marr Golf Course, Fairfax County Park Authority We played there a few times when our kids were learning. The people were very nice and patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia