Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 PM

264 posts, read 458,497 times

Advertisements

With the beautiful weather today, I decided to tour parts of Arlington country on bicycle, to include the areas surrounding Shirlington and the Four corners (?) area.

Coming from DC, I was in total culture shock, feeling at some points as though I had left the country and was now in Mexico or Central America.

I just have to ask - What in the world is going on in Arlington County?

I've only live in the District for a few years, and rarely travel into Virginia outside of the Crystal City/Alexandria area. Is this a recent phenomena? Has Arlington always been sanctuary city?

The most surreal experience of today was probably seeing the official county road sign which read "Pick Up Day Laborers Here".

Appreciate your input.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,352,465 times
You sound like someone with an agenda. I've lived in NoVA for 20 years and don't think there's any problem with the ethnic mix here, nor have I seen any kind of radical transformation. It makes our food choices better and provides a labor force to do a lot of stuff the natives around here won't do. Central America is next door and people come here from there to work. Our government looks the other way and you can't do anything about it. Get over it.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You sound like someone with an agenda. I've lived in NoVA for 20 years and don't think there's any problem with the ethnic mix here, nor have I seen any kind of radical transformation. It makes our food choices better and provides a labor force to do a lot of stuff the natives around here won't do. Central America is next door and people come here from there to work. Our government looks the other way and you can't do anything about it. Get over it.
Obviously you are the one with the agenda. I asked a legitimate question. If our laws are being broken and "our government looks the other way", I have a right to know why.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:28 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
With the beautiful weather today, I decided to tour parts of Arlington country on bicycle, to include the areas surrounding Shirlington and the Four corners (?) area.

Coming from DC, I was in total culture shock, feeling at some points as though I had left the country and was now in Mexico or Central America.

I've only live in the District for a few years, and rarely travel into Virginia outside of the Crystal City/Alexandria area. Is this a recent phenomena? Has Arlington always been sanctuary city?

The most surreal experience of today was probably seeing the official county road sign which read "Pick Up Day Laborers Here".

Appreciate your input.
I've been here 5 years and there has always been a population. It seemed to boom after Prince William Cty. cracked down on them. Arlington is the ultimate sanctuary city. I drive by the day laborer center every Day on my commute and no govt. should assist in breaking federal law. I think the illegal population is growing everywhere. They are even growing in my soon to be state, Kentucky. KENTUCKY for cryin out loud!!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Obviously you are the one with the agenda. I asked a legitimate question. If our laws are being broken and "our government looks the other way", I have a right to know why.
No, I have no agenda, I just go with the status quo. If you think the laws are being broken you have a duty to report that to the police. Or call the Feds and see what they say. They didn't do jack about it under Bush and aren't now. Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-08-2010 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

15,474 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
The government "looking the other way" thing is nothing new. Where've you been?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 PM

And I'm curious just what law you think they're breaking? Living here while hispanic? How would you even know what their status is?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

372 posts, read 1,119,084 times
How do you know they are illegal immigrants? Maybe they are just looking for work?

Learn a little spanish, role down your window, and ask them if they are here legally.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And I'm curious just what law you think they're breaking? Living here while hispanic? How would you even know what their status is?
So you finally show your true colors. No agenda - really?

Not interested in debating the advantages of illegal immigration with you, but I do appreciate your comments on the situation in Arlington. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,711,646 times
Quote:

Appreciate your input.

Apparently, you don't ride your bicycle around DC much....Columbia Heights, Adams-Morgan and Mount Pleasant all have large hispanic populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia