Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM

982 posts, read 3,493,899 times

Advertisements

Where have you been? Day laborers have been around forever and local governments have been involved for a while trying to organize locations for pick up and delivery so that laborers are not loitering in local business parking lots.

As for "illegals"...they very well may have been, but how do you know that everyone you saw was illegal? When people move to this country from other countries, naturally they want to be with others like them...what's wrong with that? If you moved to another country, don't you think that's what you would do??? Isn't it normal to seek out the group that you have something in common with?

If you were shocked over what you saw in Arlington, I suggest you stay out of the Hybla Valley area of Alexandria....there's a lot of... ::GASP::AFRICANS living there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
With the beautiful weather today, I decided to tour parts of Arlington country on bicycle, to include the areas surrounding Shirlington and the Four corners (?) area.

Coming from DC, I was in total culture shock, feeling at some points as though I had left the country and was now in Mexico or Central America.

I just have to ask - What in the world is going on in Arlington County?

I've only live in the District for a few years, and rarely travel into Virginia outside of the Crystal City/Alexandria area. Is this a recent phenomena? Has Arlington always been sanctuary city?

The most surreal experience of today was probably seeing the official county road sign which read "Pick Up Day Laborers Here".

Appreciate your input.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,229,313 times
As suggested a few posts ago, let's return to the original focus on immigration status may or may not have affected Arlington County. Many of you are already aware of the Illegal Immigration sub-forum (under Politics and Other Controversies) where general discussion can occur. Staying on-topic going forward will minimize infractions as well as maximize the life of this thread.

Happy Sunday!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 244,768 times
Well...there's a trade off...more diversity and illegals and less black folks. You choose.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM

648 posts, read 1,336,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson1978 View Post
By the way, it is much easier for an Italian or Spaniard to enter this country illegally. The process for obtaining a tourist vista is 100 times more difficult if you come from a country like El Salvador or Mexico. Coming from a Central American country, you have to prove you have a career and steady income, plus you must verify a certain amount of liquid assets in your home country. This is not a requirement for an Italian who could easily overstay their tourist visa if they wanted to. However, Italians don't fear for their lives and don't starve in their own country, so they have no motivation for staying here.
You may have missed my earlier post; I was speaking purely about accessability. It is much easier for Mexicans to have access to America (walking over) than someone flying over on an airplane illegally. And I'm not including overstaying on a visa.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As suggested a few posts ago, let's return to the original focus on immigration status may or may not have affected Arlington County. Many of you are already aware of the Illegal Immigration sub-forum (under Politics and Other Controversies) where general discussion can occur. Staying on-topic going forward will minimize infractions as well as maximize the life of this thread.

Happy Sunday!
Sorry Tone! I didn't see this until after I posted =/

Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,028,547 times
I'm reading some of the comments through the forum and I am shocked at how blind people are to this being an issue. People who don't see this being an issue are delusional and are justifying this behavior as some other injustice.

I do agree that these groups of people should not be stereotyped as being illegal just because they are Hispanic, but at the same time it makes you wonder what the effects are of this country not enforcing this law. Let's not kid ourselves, although that group may not have been illegal, there are tons of illegal immigrants here and the problem needs to be addressed. Why is it okay to break the law? Just because they provide cheap labor or just because they make great ethnic restaurants.

If I robbed a bank and gave the money to charity would that negate the fact that I robbed the bank? When are we going to stop making excuses for people who continually break the law? The solution is as simple as enforcing a law that has already been written, if you commit a crime your immigration status should be checked, regardless of race, religion, etc. etc. etc. Otherwise if you're not going to enforce this law, just as someone has already stated, GET RID OF IT!!! But don't continue to allow people to come to this country to think they can break the law because you are just making them feel entitled. And that's why, unfortunately they tend to break more laws. 'If they're not enforcing one law, why would I think they would enforce any other law'. Hello PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND GET ON THEIR JOBS. THIS ISN'T JUST HAPPENING IN ARLINGTON, but at least the people that live in this area have state leaders that are trying to do something about it!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm reading some of the comments through the forum and I am shocked at how blind people are to this being an issue. People who don't see this being an issue are delusional and are justifying this behavior as some other injustice.

I do agree that these groups of people should not be stereotyped as being illegal just because they are Hispanic, but at the same time it makes you wonder what the effects are of this country not enforcing this law. Let's not kid ourselves, although that group may not have been illegal, there are tons of illegal immigrants here and the problem needs to be addressed. Why is it okay to break the law? Just because they provide cheap labor or just because they make great ethnic restaurants.

If I robbed a bank and gave the money to charity would that negate the fact that I robbed the bank? When are we going to stop making excuses for people who continually break the law? The solution is as simple as enforcing a law that has already been written, if you commit a crime your immigration status should be checked, regardless of race, religion, etc. etc. etc. Otherwise if you're not going to enforce this law, just as someone has already stated, GET RID OF IT!!! But don't continue to allow people to come to this country to think they can break the law because you are just making them feel entitled. And that's why, unfortunately they tend to break more laws. 'If they're not enforcing one law, why would I think they would enforce any other law'. Hello PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP AND GET ON THEIR JOBS. THIS ISN'T JUST HAPPENING IN ARLINGTON, but at least the people that live in this area have state leaders that are trying to do something about it!
Hallelujah.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,755,629 times
I think we should all have compassion both for the guy from Central America who is just trying to feed his starving family AND for the older couple who wake up in their Manasses home of 30 years to find that they suddenly have 15 men living next door, and they all go to work at 5AM.

In Northern Virginia, I believe that enforcement of laws against over-occupancy is warranted--as is enforcing laws against driving without a license or insurance, driving at night with no headlights, etc.

I think the federal law against illegal immigration should be enforced. At the same time, you are not being completely honest if you say you would not do the same thing these people are doing if you were in their shoes. If your family was starving, you'd do whatever it took to feed them, and so would I. These people work like dogs, even though they often get ripped off. I have to respect that.

Are there some bad apples? Some criminals and charlatans among the hard workers? Sure. We should root them out and send them home. In the meantime, let's treat those who are here with simple dignity. Even if we think they shouldn't really be here.

That said: Arlington County pours a lot of money into affordable housing for undocumented residents and social programs for them. I think that should stop. There isn't enough money to go around. In my view, compassion needn't mean mindless largess.

Overall US immigration policy is a larger discussion--but the above is what I think should be done locally.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,431,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post

Great post. Unfortunately, the standard NoVA response on here is to ignore it or spin it as "Not a big concern to me." Or paint those who are concerned about illegals as "racist." What is racist about wanting our government to enforce the laws, and people who wish to live and work here to obey them?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,117,265 times
I agree with Fern435. I'd rather have Carlingtonian's hypothetical migrant fight to change the political and business structure in his home country than come and stay here illegally. The U.S. ends up being a safety valve for other countries that don't have their own houses in order.

But as to Arlington specifically, I think the number of Central Americans and other Hispanics in the county (which is what seemed to trigger the OP's ire) has probably declined over the past decade, as Arlington neighborhoods have been renovated and become more expensive. In comparison with other jurisdictions like Fairfax or Montgomery County, there are fewer Hispanic students in the Arlington school system now than was the case back in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia