Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 8,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
While I can appreciate the analogy you made between illegal immigrants and oral sex, let's be honest; it's not the same.
Oral sex does not cost tax payers money or use up resources.

I'm not sure how it is there just yet, but in CA (where we have a gigantic illegal immigration problem,) they will call 911 when they are about to give birth to avoid paying money like normal people at a hospital. Guess who pays for them to birth their babies? We do. It's extremely common.

So jwilson, in conclusion, while you don't have to like someone's reason(s) for wanting the illegal immigration population to decline, to make silly comparisons is just that -silly. At least compare apples with apples.
Additionally, oral sex (under most circumstances) is a victimless "crime."
You call it silly, but to some people in this country think oral sex is a hot topic. I'm sure there are many Arlington residents and Virginia residents for that matter who would prefer to ban oral sex rather than fight immigrantion. It just depends on which group you want to target.

This is a discussion board about Arlington VA and in a larger context the DC Metro Area. Read this article from the Washington Post about a study regarding the financial impact of illegal immigrants on the DC Metro population:Study: Immigrants Pay Tax Share - washingtonpost.com.
If the illegal immigrant population has boomed in the DC Metro area, then tell me why we are one of the most financially stable regions in the country? Because the illegal immigrant population has grown in Arlington Country, then that should mean that we should be overpaying for illegal babies being born in hospitals, illegals going to school, and illegals being arrested and going to jail. But although tax revenue is down due to the recession, Arlington County is one of the highest rated counties in the country, with our bond rating carrying the highest rating possible for municipal securities. IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU CALIFORNIANS ARE JUST FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE. But go ahead and blame illegal immigrants for all of your troubles. Many on this board would agree that Arlington County has an illegal immigrant "problem," yet we continue to thrive financially. Quite the conundrum! All I know is that while the illegal immigrant population grew over the past 10 years in Arlington, my salary has tripled, the apartment I bought in 2002 has doubled in value despite the housing crisis, and in general I would argue that Arlington County is much more appealing today than it ever was.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,804,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson1978 View Post
You call it silly, but to some people in this country think oral sex is a hot topic. I'm sure there are many Arlington residents and Virginia residents for that matter who would prefer to ban oral sex rather than fight immigrantion.
Banning my favorite pasttime?!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 PM

648 posts, read 1,336,689 times
Quote:
You call it silly, but to some people in this country think oral sex is a hot topic. I'm sure there are many Arlington residents and Virginia residents for that matter who would prefer to ban oral sex rather than fight immigrantion. It just depends on which group you want to target.

This is a discussion board about Arlington VA and in a larger context the DC Metro Area. Read this article from the Washington Post about a study regarding the financial impact of illegal immigrants on the DC Metro population:Study: Immigrants Pay Tax Share - washingtonpost.com.
If the illegal immigrant population has boomed in the DC Metro area, then tell me why we are one of the most financially stable regions in the country? Because the illegal immigrant population has grown in Arlington Country, then that should mean that we should be overpaying for illegal babies being born in hospitals, illegals going to school, and illegals being arrested and going to jail. But although tax revenue is down due to the recession, Arlington County is one of the highest rated counties in the country, with our bond rating carrying the highest rating possible for municipal securities. IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU CALIFORNIANS ARE JUST FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE. But go ahead and blame illegal immigrants for all of your troubles. Many on this board would agree that Arlington County has an illegal immigrant "problem," yet we continue to thrive financially. Quite the conundrum! All I know is that while the illegal immigrant population grew over the past 10 years in Arlington, my salary has tripled, the apartment I bought in 2002 has doubled in value despite the housing crisis, and in general I would argue that Arlington County is much more appealing today than it ever was.
Are you really sure about that? That's a big stretch. That's like saying you're sure that people would rather sacrafice their own personal "pleasures" (I don't know what else to call it) in order to appease a group of people, that are most likely, strangers. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm willing to bet that "many" Arlington residents would disagree with you. I won't say for sure though, because there is no way for me to possibly know that.

As far as California being fiscally irresponsible, you will get no argument from me there!! That state is a disaster. And please, tell me, where exactly did I say I'm blaming illegals for CA's trouble? You can't find it? I didn't say it. But that smokescreen still doesn't negate the fact that illegals are using tax payer paid services that THEY should be paying for.

Look, if you want to pay for them, knock yourself out!! I DON'T WANT TO.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times
Quote:

I'm a little confused with your view on this issue. I'm not going to argue with you because I can see you are set on what you believe, but if you don't mind me asking you, why do you feel so strong against enforcing illegal immigration? Do you have relatives who are illegal? Are you a business owner that hires illegals? To me, you are clearly coming up with frivolous arguments against enforcing immigration laws. There is never an excuse NOT to enforce a law, whether it is oral sex, illegal immigration or whatever. I believe you are deflecting the topic that is at hand by bringing up California, oral sex, bond ratings, taxes, etc. Let's stick to the topic, why do you oppose enforcing illegal immigration? What is wrong with enforcing a law that is already in place?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM

2,527 posts, read 3,430,047 times
Quote:

This post makes no sense. While the financial burden of illegal immigrants is certainly a reality, no one is blaming California's current financial state solely on illegal immigrants.

Additionally, bringing California into this discussion of illegal immigrants in Arlington County is off topic. Typical argument strategy of people from a certain political party--get blustery and go off on a tangent.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM

648 posts, read 1,336,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
This post makes no sense. While the financial burden of illegal immigrants is certainly a reality, no one is blaming California's current financial state solely on illegal immigrants.

Additionally, bringing California into this discussion of illegal immigrants in Arlington County is off topic. Typical argument strategy of people from a certain political party--get blustery and go off on a tangent.

I'm sorry! That was my fault. I used CA to make a point that over here, illegal immigrants use tax payer money for services they should be paying for, but we as tax payers, pay for instead; and that it probably carries over to other areas like NoVA.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Whether legal or illegal, immigrants comprise a vital and productive part of our economy and culture. I'm not sure that the same could always be said for intolerant, nativist wing-nuts.
Many illegals contribute to crime, like the recent case in Manassas where the young illegal man had several prior arrests for DUIs, was out of jail, and drove drunk on a Sunday morning and killed a nun (and injured the passengers). Gangs are here in Northern Virginia, despite the mule-ish denial of a few posters on here.

The advocates of illegal immigrants working here want them to mow the lawns, clean the houses, and nanny the children. Yes, a vital part of the culture.

Gerry Connolly, is that you?

Tolerance is a two-way street. Hysterical liberals have been mighty intolerant in the last 2 years.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I'm sorry! That was my fault. I used CA to make a point that over here, illegal immigrants use tax payer money for services they should be paying for, but we as tax payers, pay for instead; and that it probably carries over to other areas like NoVA.

Sorry for the confusion.
Katyusha25, your post was fine. I was agreeing with you. I was referring to Jwilson1978's erratic argument (hence my quoting his post).

Last edited by Fern435; 08-24-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I'm a little confused with your view on this issue. I'm not going to argue with you because I can see you are set on what you believe, but if you don't mind me asking you, why do you feel so strong against enforcing illegal immigration? Do you have relatives who are illegal? Are you a business owner that hires illegals? To me, you are clearly coming up with frivolous arguments against enforcing immigration laws. There is never an excuse NOT to enforce a law, whether it is oral sex, illegal immigration or whatever. I believe you are deflecting the topic that is at hand by bringing up California, oral sex, bond ratings, taxes, etc. Let's stick to the topic, why do you oppose enforcing illegal immigration? What is wrong with enforcing a law that is already in place?
I understand that you are confused considering that you have not read the entire thread. This is a discussion on "Arlington County Illegals - What in the world is going on?." I am an Arlington Country resident and have lived in this area all of my life, so I was lending my personal opinion on whether or not the area has changed. My father operates a business in Arlington which caters to all types of customers. His business has served many hispanics over the years, and while I do not know if they are illegal immigrants or not, I do know that all of his customers pay the same price and sales tax for goods and services. The "frivolous arguments" which you refer to are merely what most people call facts. I'm a numbers person, and I was merely referencing statistics in order to rebuke the specific arguments being posted about Arlington County and the surrounding area.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Many illegals contribute to crime, like the recent case in Manassas where the young illegal man had several prior arrests for DUIs, was out of jail, and drove drunk on a Sunday morning and killed a nun (and injured the passengers). Gangs are here in Northern Virginia, despite the mule-ish denial of a few posters on here.

The advocates of illegal immigrants working here want them to mow the lawns, clean the houses, and nanny the children. Yes, a vital part of the culture.

Gerry Connolly, is that you?

Tolerance is a two-way street. Hysterical liberals have been mighty intolerant in the last 2 years.
This has nothing to do with whether or not Arlington has changed. Yes, an illegal immigrant killed a nun and he should be punished like any other criminal. In 2008, there were almost 300 drunk driving fatalities MADD: Northern Virginia Chapter: MADD NoVA. You have jumped from illegal immigrants to criminal immigrants. Yes there are gangs in Northern Virginia and I'm sure they are formed of both legal and illegal residents. There are also gangs in the DC Metro area comprised of purely legal residents.

The Arlington County police has made excellent headway recently in combatting gangs. For years now the police department here has been working to improve relations with hispanic communities in order to better protect citizens by reigning in on criminal gang activity. In fact, there was a large arrest last month which would not have been possible without the help of the local hispanic community. Part of this work involves talking to members of the community, both legal and illegal, to solicit information on criminal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia