Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...

My husband and i are contemplating buying/moving to a SFH near the Huntington metro Station...and have no idea what the neighbourhood is like.

We've been living in safe safe Ballston for a while, and have been thoroughly spoiled by the easy access to everything too

Would love to hear some reviews.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:02 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
I've never lived there myself, but from what I hear it's ok if you can't afford better. It's not like it's a terrible place, but if you can afford to live in another neighborhood, you'll be happier.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I've never lived there myself, but from what I hear it's ok if you can't afford better. It's not like it's a terrible place, but if you can afford to live in another neighborhood, you'll be happier.
If we keep telling people that, it will never get better. I'd say move there and be in on the ground floor of an area that's got tremendous potential. As I see it, once all the road construction is done and more development moves South from Eisenhower (look at all that's going on around the Hoffman Center now) it's going to turn into a very desirable community.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 AM

845 posts, read 2,328,330 times
A friend of my parents was attacked at the Huntley Meadows Park.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
You need a geography lesson. That's quite a distance away. Also, there've been attacks on the GW Parkway bike path but I that would hardly be a good reason to decide not to buy a house along there. There are attacks in Central Park and Beverly Hills but doesn't make them less desirable.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingei View Post
Hey everyone...

My husband and i are contemplating buying/moving to a SFH near the Huntington metro Station...and have no idea what the neighbourhood is like.

We've been living in safe safe Ballston for a while, and have been thoroughly spoiled by the easy access to everything too

Would love to hear some reviews.

Thanks!
Are you looking at the new SFH development off Huntington Avenue?

Huntington is shedding a reputation it earned in the last century. You've probably noticed the new condo building across from the Metro. You may have even seen the high-rise apartment buildings near Route 1 and the Beltway. Some of the older houses in the neighborhood could use some sprucing up but I would not consider the area as dangerous. Granted, the restaurants and retail within walking distance are limited. You'll have to hop in a car and head south on Route 1 to the various strip malls for your supermarket and mid-level restaurant and retail needs. Nearby Kingstowne has newish shopping centers that might appeal to you. And Old Town Alexandria is just up the road for a laid-back urbanish fix.

"South Alexandria" is on the upswing. Some of the projects have been slowed due to the economy but I think you would may be making a prudent investment as those plans come to fruition, especially with the imminent arrival of more Fort Belvoir employees.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
"South Alexandria" is on the upswing. Some of the projects have been slowed due to the economy but I think you would may be making a prudent investment as those plans come to fruition, especially with the imminent arrival of more Fort Belvoir employees.
Bring it on!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
My big negatives on Huntington are aesthetics (run down strip malls and overhead power lines) and lack of amenities (no grocery stores, few restaurants).

On the other hand, it is safe, cheap, and very convenient to Metro. The Jefferson Manor neighborhood, in particular, is appealing to me. The homes right off of Huntington Ave.- not so much. But as I said, that's just aesthetics.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
As CAVA said, that would be far away. Would be more relevant to a Kingstowne thread or a Route 1 corridor thread depending on which section of Huntley Meadows the attack took place in.

But even so, I've been there a number of times (both areas) and have never seen anything shady. It's a really nice natural oasis in the middle of a concrete jungle.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,910 times
No. I'm too tired to dig up Huntington crime stats right now, but there have been quite a few assaults/muggings/etc. near the 7-11 on Huntington Ave. Mostly late at night, I think, but still...

It's far from the most dangerous area in NoVA, but it's just.. not nice. Really, really not nice. It's basically a strip of ugly that is quite a few steps from being anything resembling a true community.

Sorry if I'm offending anyone - I've been in Huntington since January '08 and have honestly just found it a really depressing place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia