Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM

424 posts, read 1,482,500 times

Advertisements

Live in the DC Metro Area, family of 3 (1 kid, in middle school) who goes to a private school, both parents work, family income is about $200K per year, can afford to put down $150K for a house in CA, and will need to borrow the rest. Cap on a home that we can afford is about $550K (I would think), would prefer to keep our child in a private school.

I realize that all taxes (state and income) are higher in CA but want to move there in the hope of a better social life, finding new friends, new opportunities and things like that.

Is it a good idea to relocate? Looking to move to the bay area (Sunnvale, Cupertino, Palo Alto, Fremont, Mountain View or the likes).

Thanks for your tips, they would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM

154 posts, read 455,575 times
Where in California were you thinking?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Bay Area, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM

154 posts, read 455,575 times
Ok - thanks for elaborating. I lived in SoCal for about 6 years and could provide input on that but not sure about the Bay area. I have visited San Francisco a number of times and really loved it. I believe that housing is quite expensive there and I'm not sure how large of a home you will be able to get for $550K but I think that also depends on the area (i.e., the suburbs are probably less expensive than living in the actual city).

Do you have friends/family out there that you would like to be closer to? Have you mentioned this to your child? If so, how did he/she take it? Do you own a home in VA? If so, it might be difficult to sell it for a good price in this market. That might be another thing to consider. But on the contrary, you might be able to find a good deal on a home in CA. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,076,613 times
I'm not sure you gave us enough information to help you decide. I know nothing about the Bay Area, other than it's probably just as expensive there as here, if not more so.

I'm wondering specifically why you're looking to move. You say you're looking for friends, a social life, and more opportunities, but I'm not sure moving solves problems like that. You know, the old "wherever you go, there you are." I know a lot of other posters feel that moving can change those things, but there's just as big a group that doesn't. I'd fear moving thinking it would solve everything and maybe it doesn't, maybe things are worse. And with a spouse and child, it's not just you rolling the dice. How does your spouse feel?

I guess most importantly of all, will you and your spouse be able to find employment at the salaries you're currently making, or is that not important?

Sorry, don't mean to be the stick in your bicycle wheel, it just seems like a drastic move.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM

We own a home here and might get about $150K out of that sale (tops). Will need to use that for the down payment for the new home in CA. We don't care for a huge house or even a big one, a small 2 to 3 bedroom home should do. My son loves change (I think!) so he should be okay. We have some old friends so hopefully the time away hasn't caused a huge distance. We are looking for a better social life and are immigrants from India.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Very valid questions. My wife is okay because she believes this will make me much "happier" (from a social standpoint) and I am simply speculating that this move would improve our social lives. We are immigrants from India and work in software, and so I have a few folks who went to School with me back home who are now in CA but again, we have been out of touch with them for a while.

From a work standpoint, I don't have a job there but am reasonably confident I could find one given my skill sets (it is just a matter of time). However, I don't believe it is going to pay any more than here, to be honest. So, from a financial standpoint, we would have less "liquid" disposable income.

But, isn't a change always good even if it is bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I'm not sure you gave us enough information to help you decide. I know nothing about the Bay Area, other than it's probably just as expensive there as here, if not more so.

I'm wondering specifically why you're looking to move. You say you're looking for friends, a social life, and more opportunities, but I'm not sure moving solves problems like that. You know, the old "wherever you go, there you are." I know a lot of other posters feel that moving can change those things, but there's just as big a group that doesn't. I'd fear moving thinking it would solve everything and maybe it doesn't, maybe things are worse. And with a spouse and child, it's not just you rolling the dice. How does your spouse feel?

I guess most importantly of all, will you and your spouse be able to find employment at the salaries you're currently making, or is that not important?

Sorry, don't mean to be the stick in your bicycle wheel, it just seems like a drastic move.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times
If you had a job offer, I'd say go for it if that's where you want to be. You don't have a job offer, so I'm hesitant to encourage you. Be aware it might take a long time to find work. That would be the biggest concern for me. California can be expensive--it's a great place if you have money but not so much fun if you don't.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM

799 posts, read 1,293,249 times
What about Dallas? There is a huge Desi community there. Where you are looking in the Bay Area is brutal real estate-wise. Given what information you have shared, you can't afford it.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Are you serious? A $200K per year annual income is NOT enough in the bay area? OMG :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
What about Dallas? There is a huge Desi community there. Where you are looking in the Bay Area is brutal real estate-wise. Given what information you have shared, you can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia