Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 8,176,073 times

Advertisements

See for yourself: MRIS Statistics

In my zip, less number of homes have sold compared to last year but they are selling for more money and they are on the market for a shorter amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,985,691 times
There are two house in my immediate neighborhood that have been sitting for a while. One is priced in the upper 500s, one is priced in the upper 800s. Both have had price drops and still no buyers yet. So it's hardly a frenzy out there at all price points.

That said, anything around me that is priced below like, $525K, goes so fast they can barely get the listing up.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,413,847 times
I've got two homes in my neighborhood thats been listed for sale for over 5 months now. One was listed at 1.3 million and is down to $800,000 on short sale the other one is staying steady at 1.2 million and neither has sold so far. Thats why I'm not totally buying the article 100% especially in my neck of the woods and at these high prices.
Meanwhile the developer is definitely selling homes, there's at least 10 homes being built in my development while the two existing homes aren't moving.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,840,390 times
My friend's neighbor's house in Vienna had an open house last Sunday. On Monday when my friend came home from work there was an "Under Contract" sign on it! They had basically put it on the market days earlier.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,697,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
As to the statement about sub-prime foreclosures that's somewhat of a conservative urban legend. Only a very small percentage of first wave foreclosures were sub-prime loans. Almost all were to people on regular loans who got in over their heads or whose incomes dropped. There were a lot more defaults among Republican voting speculators than so called community reinvestment act (right wing code for minorities) borrowers.
Even the liberal Washington Post reported repeatedly about the high rate of foreclosures among minority-dominated neighborhoods. It says something about your own bias that YOU made the assumption that subprime = minority borrower.

If reading the entire article (from Friday) is too challenging, you can just read paragraphs nine and ten. Then you can let the Post ombudsman know that the paper is spreading an urban legend:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031104866.html

Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 PM

81 posts, read 241,504 times
Well, the Fed and the politicians are trying to reblow the bubble via quantitative easing and silly things like tax credits, using FHA to provide "government subprime" loans with 3.5% down (30% market share in 2009!), pumping up the zombies (Freddie and Fannie), etc. Ultimately, the will fail but what you are seeing now is a small bounce back in the lower end.

A key factor is that the QE has driven down the mortgage rates, so people are willing to take on huge debts (relative to their income) within the conforming limit. But a problem is that the extreme deficits and money printing is eventually going to pop the treasury bubble and mortgage rates will shoot up. Imagine the impact on this fragile market if 30 year fixed rates shoot up to 7-8%. This country is going down the toilet..... People need to read the work of Antal Fekete to understand how corrosive falling interests area, especially when not set by the free market. But I digress....

So once you get close to $1 million then the masses can't play because they don't have the cash to put down on top of the conforming limit. Beyond that, if you want a jumbo loan then you need to pony up 30%. Or $1 million with confirming means that you need to put down $280k. And now they are checking income so even a long term holder of a modest property with modest income that sells for $400k-$500k is not going to be able to lever up his capital gains to the $1+ million range like he could during the bubble.

An interesting local factor is that the "low end" extends to much higher prices because it is one of the few regions that maxes out with $728k conforming. I thought it was supposed to go down to $625, but apparently not. Demographics in other areas (e.g. Boston and Chicago) means that they have lower limits even though prices are high in the better areas. The better areas of Boston are more expensive than DC.

Another factor is Alt-A (and the hyper-toxic Option-ARM subset) loans are recasting (not reseting!) in huge volumes in 2010 and 2011. These loans were for people with good credit who borrowed more than they could afford for more expensive houses using no-doc loans, probably just below $1 million and up. A lot of these were interest only and neg-am in the Option-ARM case. In CA the default rate on Alt-A is 30%.

Calculated Risk: IMF: Mortgage Reset Chart

I made a a lot of money shorting two banks in CA that specialized in Option-ARMs, Downey Savings and Loan and FedFirst Financial in 2008.

I guess that a "good thing" is that many Option-ARM holders may already have defaulted in large numbers and not sure about the local impact.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 AM

509 posts, read 976,580 times
This may be an unusual case, but the Point of Woods neighborhood in Manassas actually really bottomed out about a year ago - and now sales prices have increased by a huge amount. I put my townhouse on the market and had an offer in 5 days - and that was right in the middle of all the blizzards in February believe it or not! I'm selling it for probably 40% more than what I could have gotten for it a year ago, and actually 22% above last year's tax assessment (City of Manassas still has not come out with this year's tax assessments). Now, that neighborhood was really hard hit by foreclosures, so it may be an outlier case. I am curious to see whether the real estate assessment is going to go up or down for it (my guess is up) this year.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 AM

509 posts, read 976,580 times
In my new neighborhood in Gainesville - a year ago things were really dead as far as construction activity. Now the building activity (number of lots being built on) is higher than I've seen since I moved here in October 2008. So sales in this neighborhood really have picked up - in the section of the neighborhood where I live where there's a lot of building activity - the average sales price is around $450K - just to give an idea of what kind of houses we are talking about.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 AM

389 posts, read 1,232,452 times
I'm not seeing as big of a bounce back in Stafford. I'm hoping that the spring will bring buyers that create low inventory, so when new houses go up this will happen here as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,463,596 times
my builder told me a month or so ago that there is no inventory out in my neck of the woods and his realtor wants him to get building asap. So at least out here in Western Loudoun it does appear that it's getting better. when we bought our house last fall we had two offers declined on houses that were eventually taken off the market because they'd be taking such a big cut off what they paid a few years ago. There's still alot of people out there who can't afford to sell at today's prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia