Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,499 times

Advertisements

A group of us moms were talking over the weekend and one mentioned that she and her husband have a membership to Massage Envy and each of them gets at least one massage a month. Sounds like a nice break from the kids from time to time.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with Massage Envy? Know anything about their packages?

The one in Reston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 13,511 times
I go to the one in Falls Church and while I do enjoy it - you have to find the right masseuse. Ii is a brilliant business concept but can have a tendancy to start feeling mass produced versus that personal service. You can try it and see what you think. They get you after your massage to sign the one year contract for $49 a month

Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,615 times
Massage Envy clinics offer one time introductory massage at $39, then $49 per month pays for the first massage per month, then all additional one hour sessions (50 minutes hands on) massages that month are only $39 for members. Open 7 days a week, 88-90 hours a week. All massage therapists are licensed and insured (feel free to confirm how many massage therapists in high priced spas ane NOT insured), and are employees not just contract labor, etc.
They also have a new franchise which is a Massage Envy "spa" instead of a "clinic". The new spas offer all of the same massage services as the clinics do but they also offer facial services as well for only $10 more than the massages.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,849 times
Not sure about in your area, but the Massage Envy's here in Florida are known to have a very high turnover. They hire a lot of their therapists right out of school and dont pay well, so not a lot of them stay. They are more about quantity then quality.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 PM

110 posts, read 248,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraine View Post
I go to the one in Falls Church and while I do enjoy it - you have to find the right masseuse. Ii is a brilliant business concept but can have a tendancy to start feeling mass produced versus that personal service. You can try it and see what you think. They get you after your massage to sign the one year contract for $49 a month
Well, if you're not completely satisfied with your services I can tell you where part of your problem is...

You're dealing with "masseuse'", as opposed to working with a massage therapist.

What's the difference, you may ask?

A 4-year college degree, more years of schooling in the industry, state or national license and additional CEU's on top of that.

My wife is a massage therapist. 1 of the best and would lay out quite the thrashing if she were called a "masseuse".

Sorry, I had to jump in... So close to home.

The other reason I jumped in is because my wife & I are here in NOVA right now house hunting in preparation for our relocation from SoCal in the coming weeks and we've been kind of wondering where she might pick up some work.
She'd prefer to work at a resort or quality place. Where might that be?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,137 times
Totally agree with Brymax. I've never been to Massage Envy but was tempted when they started mailing postcards about a month ago. I've been going to a masseuse in a chiropractor's office in Centreville and she's incredible...and it's a lot more affordable than I expected (they offer packages also).

Old 03-27-2010, 11:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I, too, have been receiving these Massage Envy postcards in the mail here in Reston, and I've been tempted. My personal trainer at the gym told me this past week I was "too tense", and to be quite honest I've never had a massage before. I think I'm going to scope them out!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
Well, if you're not completely satisfied with your services I can tell you where part of your problem is...

You're dealing with "masseuse'", as opposed to working with a massage therapist.

What's the difference, you may ask?

A 4-year college degree, more years of schooling in the industry, state or national license and additional CEU's on top of that.

My wife is a massage therapist. 1 of the best and would lay out quite the thrashing if she were called a "masseuse".

Sorry, I had to jump in... So close to home.

The other reason I jumped in is because my wife & I are here in NOVA right now house hunting in preparation for our relocation from SoCal in the coming weeks and we've been kind of wondering where she might pick up some work.
She'd prefer to work at a resort or quality place. Where might that be?
Try the new Gaylord Hotel in MD I was there for a seminar back in Feb and they had a very high end spa there.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,091 times
Another problem with this franchise massage places is that they don't have steady massage therapist. Because they get pay so little for every massage they onlly get $15 dollar in which you would think dam thats a lot. but in reality a massage therapist can only do 4-5 massages a day because massage is very streneous. Is very important to tip them because it's a lot of work a little pay.. their shift are 6 hour shift and their not always booked.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
My wife visited a Massage Envy, in Alexandria, I believe. Both of us have been to small local massage businesses (not chains or franchises). The thing she found different about Massage Envy, and that she disliked, was that they had a high-pressure sales pitch trying to get her to buy something. Not just "would you like to buy a package", I'm talking sales talk to the point she wanted to high-tail it out of there. Not exactly what you go for in a massage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia