Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Don't cry, Northern Virginians. Ya'll still got me to complain what a nightmare this place is, a duty that I will continue even after I'm physically at Ft. Knox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
In case you wanted to complain about NoVA pizza, here's a slice from NYC =)
That's just mean to post that picture near dinnertime.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
They look good, but not too different from the slices from the Italian Store in Arlington (Lee Highway).

Old 03-15-2010, 02:51 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Fairfax Mom:
Hey, as long as you know that "Piney" isn't referring to a tree, you're still a New Jersey gal.

Alanboy:
Glad to hear you'll be posting here 49+ days from now. It wouldn't be the same around here without you.

Pizza:
OK guess I know what I'm having for dinner!

Boy, good thing they added the to our selection of smilies....

Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Interesting... NoVA *feels* a lot like Jersey to me (not as much as Howard County, MD did, though), but I'm from lands far, far west of here. My mom and I were actually discussing New Jersey last night (long story, but basically I was seeking her feedback on why the Atlantic shore has a big gap of non-cutesy between New England and the Outer Banks of NC). She actually defended NJ a bit - she said she knew someone in college from NJ (Short Hills?), and when she and my dad visited the woman and her family there while vacationing on the East Coast years later she found it very nice. The Jersey Shore still scares me, though. And the sheer sprawling miles and miles of humanity in the northern part of the state.

Allow me to partially retract part of my first statement, above. NJ has Northern-style suburbs with old-parts-on-grids. In that sense, NoVA reminds me *nothing* of Jersey. In lots of (too many? ) other cultural senses it does, though.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 03-15-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Interesting... NoVA *feels* a lot like Jersey to me (not as much as Howard County, MD did, though), but I'm from lands far, far west of here. My mom and I were actually discussing New Jersey last night (long story, but basically I was seeking her feedback on why the Atlantic shore has a big gap of non-cutesy between New England and the Outer Banks of NC). She actually defended NJ a bit - she said she knew someone in college from NJ (Short Hills?), and when she and my dad visited the woman and her family there while vacationing on the East Coast years later she found it very nice. The Jersey Shore still scares me, though. And the sheer sprawling miles and miles of humanity in the northern part of the state.

Allow me to partially retract part of my first statement, above. NJ has Northern-style suburbs with old-parts-on-grids. In that sense, NoVA reminds me *nothing* of Jersey. In lots of (too many? ) other cultural senses it does, though.
I know you were traumatized by your trip with your parents to the Delaware/Maryland beaches, but you do need to check out Spring Lake and/or Cape May, New Jersey before you decry the "non-cutesy-ness" of the Mid-Atlantic beach towns. They are "cutesy" and, even better for you, great places to ride a bike. Each is but a few hours away from NoVa.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
. . .My mom and I were actually discussing New Jersey last night (long story, but basically I was seeking her feedback on why the Atlantic shore has a big gap of non-cutesy between New England and the Outer Banks of NC).
You are kidding, right? If you have not visited the Jersey Shore or just going on cliches and stereotypes about the state, then spend some time up there.

Quote:
She actually defended NJ a bit - she said she knew someone in college from NJ (Short Hills?) . . .And the sheer sprawling miles and miles of humanity in the northern part of the state.
Short Hills is in North Jersey aka suburban NYC. South Jersey is completely different, in fact, alot of South Jerseyans always talk about "seceding" from the North. In SJ, you'll find 1.5 million acres of protected pine preservations, farmland, lakes, bogs, and wetlands, and of course, the major beaches--a very very different landscape than the North.

Quote:
The Jersey Shore still scares me, though.
Why? The Jersey Devil and other creatures are inland, not on the Shore. Oh I get it, it's those kids from the Jersey Shore TV show that are scary, right?

Quote:
NoVA doesn't remind me of NJ at all, except for the traffic, congestion, and hurried folks in North Jersey. Regarding the rest of the State: I find the people and culture more similar in western VA and WV.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Mmmmmm! Do I detect genuine garlic twists on the left of the photo? For those who have not sampled this, these are homemade breads twisted and baked and seved with a saucer of olive oil and freshly cut garlic pieces (sliced thin).

Gosh I'm really hungry now . . . .

Old 03-15-2010, 05:08 PM

372 posts, read 1,116,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Have I turned into a Northern Virginian? Has all the NJ chutzpa left me?
Nope.
Chutzpah Deli is still here.

Chutzpah Deli - Tysons Corner, VA

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM

182 posts, read 540,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Mmmmmm! Do I detect genuine garlic twists on the left of the photo? For those who have not sampled this, these are homemade breads twisted and baked and seved with a saucer of olive oil and freshly cut garlic pieces (sliced thin).

Gosh I'm really hungry now . . . .
haha they sure are...but we call them garlic knots! I only ordered one, but the guy ended up giving me three...he must have been reading my mind!

Normie, I hope you enjoyed your pizza =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia