Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,936 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost (ballpark figure) to finish an 1100 sq ft basement? How much value does it add to the house?
I'm in Stafford if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I don't know for sure...I think a neighbor did it here in Ashburn for $10-$15K. That was basics...no wetbar or anything.
Our basement was finished when we bought it and I have to say we DIDN'T buy other homes b/c the basements were NOT finished. We have two kids and wanted a finished basement for toys and movie room. For us, it was a big factor.
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,936 times
thanks. it would be just a basic basement w/ a full bath, bedroom, and very large 'whatever' room. no wet bar or media room, etc...

what you mentioned is my concern: that many people wouldn't buy the house bec it didn't have a finished basement

Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,746 times
It seems that the majority of homes these days in NoVA do have finished (or at least partially finished) basements. It probably wasn't as big of a negative to not have a finished basement at the peak of the market, but now it can definitely be a distinguishing factor when comparing two like houses, if one has a practical and tastefully-finished basement.

Ballpark estimate averages are in this area are probably 15K-25K for a simple job around that size I would guess.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
When our kids were young, I loved the unfinished basement because they could roller skate, paint, play-do, throw balls, whatever without worrying about anything. It was for all the messy stuff.

When the younger one turned about 6, we finished the basement and it became a great space for them to hang out with friends. But when we moved the next time, I ruled out unfinished basements because I didn't want to pay "out-of-pocket" to finish them!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
Yeah, I would say more if you want a bathroom as well...Our finished basement does NOT have a bathroom and it is driving us nuts. We got a quote for $5K to do a bath...but we already have a rough in for it.
Besides the extra space, a basement was also important to us b/c it gets very hot here and the basement tends to stay very cool-its a nice place to escape to when the summer heat is at its peak!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 AM

207 posts, read 752,506 times
We wouldnt even consider an unfinished basement when looking at homes.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
we bought new and added the option of a finished basement of 1000 sq ft with an office (didnt need a bedroom),a full bath and a big rec room and it cost about $19000 which the builder said was cost (and our realtor agreed it probably was pretty close). Standard builder quality materials, carpeting throughout, ceramic tile in bathroom. It was a basement begging to be finished because it's a full walk out with two windows in addition to the sliding doors. A huge space with high ceilings as well. We would not have bought the house if we couldn't finish it and I believe it added at least $20K to the value of the house - probably more.

Add us to the "didn't even look at a house without a finished or easily finishable basement" club. There were several homes we considered finishing the basement but if they didn't have the basement done, we ultimately ruled them out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
When we finished our basement, it had the rough-ins for a full bath. We didn't feel we needed the extra bathtub/shower, so we "shadow boxed" with drywall around the tub area and just had a big powder room . Saved us about $2,000 at the time and could easily be added by pulling out the drywall. We also bought the extra floor tile that would be needed later. The powder room was sufficient for us because we did not have a bedroom just a really large playroom. I don't know if the later buyer ever finished the bathtub part but he liked the idea of the potential.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Do you have a walk-out basement or at least have full sized windows for egress? If not, it can be a hassle to have finished with codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia