Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,563,161 times

Advertisements

Is it still the case that the blue plates cannot use the 395 HOV?

It sounds like some people would prefer the white plates not be able to use the 395 HOV either. What is the goal of the extensions? To get more people to buy hybrids, it doesn't seem like that would be the case in the case of the 395 HOV 1-year extension for the white plates, one cannot currently get a white plate. I'm sort of confused about the goals of the program now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,375,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
What is the goal of the extensions? To get more people to buy hybrids, it doesn't seem like that would be the case in the case of the 395 HOV 1-year extension for the white plates, one cannot currently get a white plate. I'm sort of confused about the goals of the program now.
My understanding is only those who qualifed with hybrids prior to 2006 are eligible.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,351,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Those little roller skate hybrids scare me to death. I know there are some that are larger and safer. But I always see the ones that look like go-carts flying in the HOV lane. I cannot even imagine what one of those would look like after a high speed crash.
Actually those roller skate cars do very well in crash tests. In a crash with your sized vehicle, you and your passengers would adsorb more of the impact than in a smaller vehicle like a corolla.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,468,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Good. The extension of the hybrid exemption on 95/395 won't add a single hybrid to the HOV lanes - to use 95/395 HOV lanes, a hybrid must have a clean fuel plate issued prior to July 1, 2006.

For other Virginia highways with HOV lanes, the extension will continue to provide some incentive for people to switch to hybrids. Seems there are more and more choices every year. Of course, some of them - even while employing hybrid technology - don't get the kind of gas mileage a person would brag about, but hopefully those hybrids would not be eligible for the HOV exemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree. And at highway speeds, most hybrids aren't at their best performance. So as they are flying down the HOV lanes, they aren't getting their best mileage. They are running on their regular gas engine at that point.
My experience with our Prius has been just the opposite. During the first two years of ownership, using the HOV lanes on 95/395, our Prius would get anywhere from 47 to 50 or more miles per gallon. I'd often set the cruise control to between 65 (the speed limit) and 70, settle into the right lane, and watch the other cars zoom by.

In our two years of retirement, our miles per gallon has dropped to the mid-40's. I just put gas in it this morning, and the mileage for our last tank was 45.2 mpg ... and that was our best mileage in a couple of months.

To get the maximum mileage out of the Prius (and I suspect other hybrids as well, but I don't have personal experience with them), the engine and the hybrid battery both need to be thoroughly warmed up. Often, our driving in retirement is more short hops - going to the library, or the grocery store, etc. By the time the Prius is ready to deliver its best gas mileage, we're pulling into the driveway.

In fact, since we retired, the best gas mileage we've recorded for the Prius (and I track every mile driven & gallon used) has been when we've taken the Prius on long trips on interstates.

The very best gas mileage I've ever had with the Prius came on a trip to New England. While traveling on state roads through southern New Hampshire and Maine - featuring rolling hills, few traffic lights, and roads in good condition with speed limits anywhere from 40 to 55 mph, we had one tank of gas where we got 62 mpg. Unfortunately, there aren't many (if any) places in NoVA where you can drive steadily for several hours, encountering few stops and maintaining speeds between 40 and 55.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM

577 posts, read 2,067,427 times
On a drive through southern VA into North Carolina it was cool to see the MPG monitor display 100 as I coasted down the mountains. I thought the climb up the hills would drastically reduce the average MPG but it wasn't bad at all. Highway driving is definitely the hybrid's strong suit. I was surprised at how much coasting could be done and still stay at a good speed.

A 2010 GMC Yukon 1500 4WD Hybrid has an average of 21 MPG. I guess that's good for a big honkin Yukon but hardly impressive for a hybrid. Fortunately that vehicle does not qualify for the clean fuel license plate and HOV lanes.

VA DMV Qualified 2010 Vehicles:

Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Lexus GS450h 3.5L, Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus RX450h 3.5L, Mazda Tribute 2.5L, Mercury Mariner 2.5L, Mercury Milan 2.5L, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.4L, Toyota Highlander 3.3L, Toyota Prius 1.8L

Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,468,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
On a drive through southern VA into North Carolina it was cool to see the MPG monitor display 100 as I coasted down the mountains. I thought the climb up the hills would drastically reduce the average MPG but it wasn't bad at all. Highway driving is definitely the hybrid's strong suit. I was surprised at how much coasting could be done and still stay at a good speed.
I always think it's cool to be going along at a good clip - say, 65 mph - and have the MFD (multi-function display) show a miles-per-gallon figure greater than the miles-per-hour.

Technically, city driving is where the Prius shines - that's one reason the Prius has gained in popularity with cab drivers/companies. The EPA gas mileage tests for city driving averages 21 mph. A warmed-up Prius can go from a stop to 20-25 mph without the gas engine firing, and that boosts the EPA city estimates higher than highway estimates.

But generally, what we have in NoVA is not really city driving. Too many traffic lights combined with 45 mph speed limits cut into the gas mileage reached by all vehicles. That's why our commuting miles (a combination of NoVA, highway, and city) consistently gave us higher miles-per-gallon in the Prius when compared to our retirement miles (all NoVA, unless we go on a trip).

If, after the 95/395 HOV lanes are replaced by HOT lanes (ending the hybrid exemption for that road), the hybrid exemption is continued on 66 and other VA roads, the list of qualifying hybrids will have to be expanded, as it seems that every year, there are more hybrids being offered, and at least some of them get outstanding gas mileage.

I have no problem at all (having a vivid imagination) picturing myself sitting behind the wheel of a Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in electric hybrid they are saying will "... get 78 miles per gallon, can go 16 miles on electric charge alone, and can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds." ZOOOOOM!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia