Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 AM

53 posts, read 93,256 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Woodbridge within the next year, I work in DC near L'enfant Plaza so I could slug, VRE, or PRTC it, more than likely I am going to slug (Time savings is essential, plus it's free).

My concern is with my soon to be wife's commute, she works in Ballston right near the mall. I know there is a PRTC bus that goes to Rosslyn in the mornings, but is there a quicker way to get to Ballston other than her having to drive? We are looking to save the "wear and tear" on our car and the associated gas costs.

I have visited Sluglines.com, but that website seems a little outdated. Are there any active slug lines straight to ballston? If so, where are the most prominent pick up spots for it? Horner Rd? Potomac Mills? Tackets Mill?

I think if it comes down to it, my soon to be wife could drive to work, are there enough people out there who commute from Woodbridge to Ballston? How does one go about starting a slug line? Do you need to use that sluglines.com website?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any insight, and feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but we have an Alternate Routes thread that has a lot of good info. Who knows, maybe it includes your route.

Official Alternate Route Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I would suggest slug to the Pentagon and Metro from Pentagon to Ballston on the Blue Line

Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 AM

thanks for your responses "normie" and "weezycom". I will check out the alternate routes thread, thanks for the suggestion normie and Weezycom I was hoping to get a more direct route than having to use Metro, but I appreciate your feedback.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Why doesn't she just take that PRTC bus to Rosslyn as you discovered and then hop on the Metro for a quick ride (<10 minutes) to Ballston. Unless your financee' would be content being the slug passenger all the time, driving that far would indeed increase the wear and tear on both the car and its owner.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Tone 509 - Thanks for your response. I actually looked into that, the PRTC goes to Ballston right after stopping in Rosslyn. It appears as though according to the PRTC website that from Horner Rd. P&R it only takes 50-55 minutes each way (North and South). That is an ideal pick up and drop off spot for us, if I were to slug I'd probably slug from there and she could catch bus at the same time. That would save us having to use 2 cars. Only having one form of transportation is better than 2...and if you can avoid Metro even better!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
if you're talking about slugging from Rosslyn down to L'Enfant Plaza in the morning - and vice versa in the evening - then I'd be surprised that there were options at that time. But then, I've never had to do it so I don't really know.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't talking about doing that. I was talking about my soon to be wife and I riding to the Horner Road P&R together in the morning, where I would 'slug' to L'enfant and she would hop on OmniRide to Ballston and then vice versa in the evening.

Does anyone know how long the bus ride actually is from Horner P&R to Ballston? Is the PRTC website accurate with their estimates of 50-55 minutes?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcl86 View Post
Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't talking about doing that. I was talking about my soon to be wife and I riding to the Horner Road P&R together in the morning, where I would 'slug' to L'enfant and she would hop on OmniRide to Ballston and then vice versa in the evening.

Does anyone know how long the bus ride actually is from Horner P&R to Ballston? Is the PRTC website accurate with their estimates of 50-55 minutes?
I would say that's pretty accurate. The PRTC will make use of HOV as long as they can which should whip you up to the DC area within 30 minutes. The rest of the time will be slogging it to Ballston.

Ballston's just one of those places that's NOT an easy commute from Woodbridge and, apparently, not a big enough population of people working there who live in Woodbridge which limits you public transportation options. If I was offered a job in Ballston I would probably not take it do to the location and limitations from Woodbridge. But, there are certainly worse commutes.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
I suggest a vanpool. I work in Ballston and there at least 8 people that I know that live down by Woodbridge/Dale City that ride in by vanpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia